+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Misrepresentation by government?

hgyt6754

Jul 25, 2020
Yes I agree with your response above, may be example quoted above is half fact. Basically we are talking about a building which is Canada which has limited rooms available already occupied by people, now the govt needs money to maintain the building and most of the occupants are not doing work and instead the govt has to pay the existing old occupants for staying in the building.

Now the govt shows prospective occupants the building structure and tell prospective occupants that you eligible to occupy those rooms in buildings, but the moment occupants come inside they are being asked to sleep on floors or construct rooms on their own which for sure they know many will fail. The ones failing will loose fortune and return back home and one staying will learn to occupy room over period of time or over one generation.

The issue with govt is that they cannot even tell prospective occupants that it’s fully occupied and no capacity because if they do it than who will pay money to maintain building and prospective occupants will run away.
great explanation. Mercy or amnesty for misrepresentation is very slim and immigrants are stripped of their PRs/citizenships after entering the country thus losing their money and time as innocent misrepresentation is interpreted in a very narrow way. But here we have a case where government itself is indulging in misrepresentation by letting immigrants inside the country and hiding the facts from them that there are no jobs and immigrants’ credentials and experience are not recognized once inside the country.

Reactions: Rahul81

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
great explanation. Mercy or amnesty for misrepresentation is very slim and immigrants are stripped of their PRs/citizenships after entering the country thus losing their money and time as innocent misrepresentation is interpreted in a very narrow way. But here we have a case where government itself is indulging in misrepresentation by letting immigrants inside the country and hiding the facts from them that there are no jobs and immigrants’ credentials and experience are not recognized once inside the country.
I immigrated in 2017. I do not think that the government HIDES any facts. As an adult who is responsible for my decisions, I researched on what type of jobs I will most likely acquire when I got here and researched on how I can get back to my my line of work where I came from. I KNEW that my credentials no matter how stellar will not be accepted. If the government was actually hiding anything, I would not have found out. There has been no misrepresentation from the government IMO. But, as someone else suggested, feel free to start a lawsuit.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
It is not that they do not recognize your degrees, it is that you are competing with Canadian born and educated graduates, Canadian educated international students, h1b immigrants with US degrees. Even many of these guys are not getting a look in as the market is extremely competitive. There ARE jobs but they are going to the most qualified. If I was a hiring manager and I saw someone that went to University of Toronto or University of Timbuktu, which one do you think I would prefer to hire? I assume you are an adult, no-one is going to hold your hand. Plenty of research available about there situation in Canada: here, Quora, Facebook, etc. Why don't you grow up and take responsibility for your actions?

Reactions: EscoBlades

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
1. I keep reading various misrepresentation cases in this forum. Some of them could be unknowingly committing misrepresentation due to lack of awareness and lack of knowledge on consequence of committing a misrepresentation. Or, they might not even be aware that there was going to be a misrepresentation. This is also given the culture in some parts of the world. The thinking could be that “it is Canada government responsibility to find out as they were doing background checks anyway”. This makes me think why can’t Canadian government come up with a standard checklist and attach to PR application on do’s and don’t s of misrepresentation with examples gathered so far explaining consequences of misrepresentation. This will help some poor souls (not intentional fraudsters) double check their filled in forms prior to submission and not suffer consequences after entering the Canada losing precious time and money in the process.

2.Secondly, Canadian government recognizes and allocates points to university credentials of third world countries and admits PR applicants into the country. Whereas, the same university credentials are not recognized by Canadian industry and many PR holders thus have to work as security guards and other lesser jobs after entering Canada which is not what they expected for their qualifications.

Is this not a massive misrepresentation by Canadian government over decades when it has hidden the fact that Canadian industry does not recognize the university credentials of third world countries and PR holders would be jobless after entering Canada or would have to work low pay jobs? Who will make Canada government accountable and take action against Canadian government for this misrepresentation. International court?
1. Misrepresentation is very simple, tell the truth and don't lie, do not misrepresent anything about your personal history, credentials, and background. Most people have no issues whatsoever with misrepresentation, it's the people who think they can be slick by withholding or misrepresenting information which usually have problems. I think this is a very simple issue to avoid, just be truthful and don't try to defraud the system.

2. It depends on your credentials and it depends on you, how well you can make the transition. We shouldn't generalise, there are many immigrants who are well educated and come here, and their qualifications are recognised as meeting the minimum requirements, and once they accumulate Canadian work experience and understand how the system works, achieve a lot and flourish in Canada. But it's up to you to make the most of the opportunity, you have to see what additional requirements there might be and how you can fulfill them. Just don't expect to start where you left off in your home country, you do have to accept to take a few steps down and rebuild your career somewhat to demonstrate you can work at that equivalent level in Canada.

No one guarantees you anything, all you're provided is an opportunity. Even the letter you receive with your COPR, it tells you a lot about life in Canada, and it even states in bold not to expect to necessarily work in the same career when you come to Canada.

You have to be willing to adjust and make sacrifices, and ultimately come out the winner by assimilating into Canadian society.

Most people who immigrate to Canada realise that we made the move because we know long term we are better off here than in our home countries for a myriad of reasons. If you are not sure about that, then maybe the move is not for you.

Rahul81

Jun 2, 2020
It is not that they do not recognize your degrees, it is that you are competing with Canadian born and educated graduates, Canadian educated international students, h1b immigrants with US degrees. Even many of these guys are not getting a look in as the market is extremely competitive. There ARE jobs but they are going to the most qualified. If I was a hiring manager and I saw someone that went to University of Toronto or University of Timbuktu, which one do you think I would prefer to hire? I assume you are an adult, no-one is going to hold your hand. Plenty of research available about there situation in Canada: here, Quora, Facebook, etc. Why don't you grow up and take responsibility for your actions?

Well I agree you need to compete. Regarding university I beg your pardon as I will disagree. University gives degree and not common sense, maybe Toronto university produces a jerk and other one produces a genius. So university does not guarantee right candidate. Now for the hiring managers name matters which I can understand from dealing with them as to what general knowledge they have.

I can see and sorry to say that the fate of new immigrants is in hands some silly hiring managers who are often biased towards local candidates. We say it’s an open economy to all but reality is different from what is being claimed. Now this is a risk every new immigrant do run into.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Get

I agree because in first case government needs money from you but when it comes to delivery you are expected to do your own due diligence
The cost of all the immigration programs are more expensive to process than the amount you are paying. All the visas, permits, PRs. citizenship apps cost of Canada money they are not making money collecting fees.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The whole idea of inviting immigrants is to move country forward as country has ageing population and growth is less. But at same time the focus of corporates here is to hire the Canadians first and some migrants at low end jobs or some admin jobs who have some local experience. But yes it’s common sense if you cannot hire immigrants how they are going to get so called local experience. Question no one can answer but that’s head ache of new immigrants and not of government. Of course many people will say no one is asking you to come here. I am sure if you had proper opportunities back home you would not even think of coming here. Live like King in your country and not like second grade citizen in other country. Don’t tell me that people here are welcoming etc. , you will face those bias in every walk of life.

You will be asked to upgrade Your skills which match market etc and spend money (believe me taking money and training immigrants for some basic skills is another industry which is prospering here).

Still wondering why skill sets people gain in other countries are not accepted here, as if immigrants are landing from other planets. I was surprised when some of my friends who were software professionals from Silicon Valley were denied second round of interview just for lack of local experience. Come on job consultants have some knowledge and basic sense. Silicon Valley drives entire world.

My conclusion is immigrants are at own risk and not expect much when they arrive here. All immigrations are not success stories as many people return an$ some accept their fate and continue.
There could be many reasons they didn't get hired including that there was a big chance that they would want to leave Canada in 3 years and they wanted more longterm employees. When it comes to IT you are chosen on mainly skill so this may have just been a nice way to see we aren't interested for whatever reason. Plenty of other foreign educated IT workers are getting hired without Canadian experience. If any industry that is welcoming of foreign talent it is tech because skills are easily tested which is not the case in many industries.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well I agree you need to compete. Regarding university I beg your pardon as I will disagree. University gives degree and not common sense, maybe Toronto university produces a jerk and other one produces a genius. So university does not guarantee right candidate. Now for the hiring managers name matters which I can understand from dealing with them as to what general knowledge they have.

I can see and sorry to say that the fate of new immigrants is in hands some silly hiring managers who are often biased towards local candidates. We say it’s an open economy to all but reality is different from what is being claimed. Now this is a risk every new immigrant do run into.
Employers are biased when it comes to most Canadian education because they know the quality of the school versus other shools abroad. There are of course some schools that are internationally known so those candidates will be considered with the Canadian candidates. Unfortunately there are some countries that have degree mills or who allow a huge number of backlogs, where teachers/schools take bribes or families with influence are able to influence their child's final results.

If people have a work history that shows them working with large multinationals that also help people get jobs versus working for a local employer in their home country.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
There could be many reasons they didn't get hired including that there was a big chance that they would want to leave Canada in 3 years and they wanted more longterm employees. When it comes to IT you are chosen on mainly skill so this may have just been a nice way to see we aren't interested for whatever reason. Plenty of other foreign educated IT workers are getting hired without Canadian experience. If any industry that is welcoming of foreign talent it is tech because skills are easily tested which is not the case in many industries.
IT skills also translate literally, if you have experience with programming in a certain language, then that skill carries over pretty simply when you're in the Canadian market.

If we take accounting as an example, the core skills are the same but the laws and regulations governing accounting are different in the Canadian context. To work at a high level you would need to be accustomed to how things function in Canada before you could be entrusted with a demanding workload.

hgyt6754

Jul 25, 2020
If there are only finite number of jobs and those are going to North American educated professionals, why government recognizes and allots points to third world university educated such as university of Timbuktu educated guy and let’s him in promising him equal opportunities? I am sure the government must be working in conjunction with private sector and obtaining their preferences on university of Toronto vs university of Timbuktu.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
If there are only finite number of jobs and those are going to North American educated professionals, why government recognizes and allots points to third world university educated such as university of Timbuktu educated guy and let’s him in promising him equal opportunities? I am sure the government must be working in conjunction with private sector and obtaining their preferences on university of Toronto vs university of Timbuktu.
Instead of crying over the system, why don't you get a Canadian degree? Maybe a Master's or MBA. If you are as good as you believe to be you'll be able to get into a top university. It is an investment for a lifetime. And no the government is not working in conjunction with the private sector. You are trying to satisfy your rage and anger by blaming other factors that are simply not true

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How important is this matter to you?

Discussing it here isn't going to result in anything changing.

If you are serious about this matter and want action, engage a lawyer to see what can be done.

Rahul81

Jun 2, 2020
Im
Employers are biased when it comes to most Canadian education because they know the quality of the school versus other shools abroad. There are of course some schools that are internationally known so those candidates will be considered with the Canadian candidates. Unfortunately there are some countries that have degree mills or who allow a huge number of backlogs, where teachers/schools take bribes or families with influence are able to influence their child's final results.

If people have a work history that shows them working with large multinationals that also help people get jobs versus working for a local employer in their home country.

Quality of education in schools - I am sorry to say that It’s way below than what is delivered in Europe or Asia. What you think all colleges and universities are great here , there are few which are designated as degree shops to make money from foreign students. Any one with money can make entry and do some basic study and get degrees may be recognized in Canada but piece of paper outside canada

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
Yes. Be transparent upfront and tell immigrants that rooms cannot be shared and immigrants would have to sleep on the floor instead of main rooms. If they still want to come they are welcome to come in.

the question is, why so many skilled category immigrants are being admitted every year when there are not enough jobs for them and when their credentials and experience are not recognized by Canadian private sector and are having to struggle finding jobs. This is a misrepresentation by the government.
You should also note that plenty of people leave Canada every year because of various reasons but main reason would be not finding right job or cannot afford Canadian high living expenses.