+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Miscellaneous Questions re Immigration to Canada as FSW

Sherielly28

Mar 26, 2009
Hi! I'm new here...

There are few questions I would like to know about immigrating to Canada as an Skilled Worker:

1. I'm a Billing Coordinator and I worked in an International Law Firm. Could you please advise what classification my experience as a Billing Coordinator falls? Is it Skill Level B or C? Please see below regarding my work experiences:

Billing Coordinator: 2 years 11 months
Technical Support Representative: 2 months 17 days
Quality Audit Reviewer: 3 months 29 days
Data Analyst: 2 years 5 months
Digitizer/Encoder: 5 months
Internet Assistant: 6 months

2. Secondly, if I fall in a Skill Level C classification, will I still be qualified to apply as an Immigrant?

3. I have 2 relatives in Canada. One of them is living in Toronto, ON and the other one is in Alberta, Canada. How many points will I get for this?

4. I will be taking IELTS examination on May 30, 2009. If ever I'll fall in a Skill Level C classification and I will be getting high scores (or passing) in IELTS, will I be qualified for FSW program?

Please help. I'm still confused. I'm still hoping my experiences will be qualified as an Skilled Worker, even if it's not on Skill Level 0, A and B list.

Thank you so much! I will be waiting for your response...

Kind regards,
Sherielly : )

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What are the minimum requirements?

All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements to apply as a skilled worker:

* [size=10pt]You must have at least one continuous year of full-time, paid work experience or the equivalent in part-time continuous employment[/color][/size]
* You must have had this experience within the last 10 years
* Your work experience must be Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC)
* You must have sufficient funds to support yourself and your family members after your arrival in Canada

Sherielly28

Mar 26, 2009
Thanks!

My job description is included on Skill Type B list (http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/ViewAllTitles.aspx?val=1&val1=1212). However, it is not included on 38 most wanted job in Canada. Is it okay for me to submit my application? I have currently taken the Skilled and Professionals Self-Assessment Test that can be found in Canada website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assess/index.asp) and my score is 68. Please advise that eventhough I got 68 points in self-assessment and my job is not included on 38 list (but included in Skill Type B), is it okay to submit my application or do they consider my application?

Many thanks for your response~ I appreaciate it... : )

~Sher

M

morepower

Hi, you may reed this (again):

Applying as a skilled worker
Applications for permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Worker Class can be submitted by foreign nationals who are skilled workers and professionals.

There are three categories under the Federal Skilled Worker Class:

Category 1: For persons in an occupation which corresponds to the list of occupations identified in the Ministerial Instructions and have evidence of one year of continuous full-time (or full-time equivalent) experience in that occupation;
Category 2: For persons who have arranged employment offer with a Canadian employer; or
Category 3: For students or workers who are legally residing in Canada, and have done so for at least 12 months immediately before submitting their application.
There are two other programs for skilled workers who want to become permanent residents. They are as follows:

Provincial Nominee; and
Quebec Skilled Workers.

If u don't fit in category 1 u might fit in 2 or 3? If not there are some other immigration programs as PNP or CEC. Arew you able to find an employer and apply for a temp. work permit?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sherielly28 said:
Please advise that eventhough I got 68 points in self-assessment and my job is not included on 38 list (but included in Skill Type B), is it okay to submit my application or do they consider my application?
It's absolutely ok to submit your application but if you don't meet the requirements, they will just return it to you.

The requirements are as follows:

For FSW Category 1: You have at least 1 year experience in the last 10 years in a job that is on the 38-list
.. Category 2: You have a certified job offer (AEO)
.. Category 3: You are already in Canada on a student visa or work permit for 12 months

PNP: You have a job offer or family sponsorship

QSW: You speak French and otherwise fulfill requirements for QSW and wouldn't mind living in Quebec

If you don't meet the requirements for FSW Category 1 because you have no experiences in jobs on the 38-list, you can:
a) Try to get experience in a job on the 38 list
b) Keep checking back to see if they list gets updated
c) Forget about Category 1 and try for something else.

I think option c is the best. If you can't get a job offer, you could consider going on a student visa for one year and then apply under Category 3.