+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor's study permit along with parents study permit

AskBD

Star Member
May 27, 2019
Hi there, preparing to apply for my study permit and i have 2 kids of 7 and 8 yrs. As advised in CIC page, i need to apply for their study permit as well along with my application.

1. Does any one here have a checklist for study permit of minor?

2. Correct me if I am wrong that they dont need offer letter, IELTS, police e clearance considsring their age (7 n 9 years) .

3. Do i need to show funds for their study as though their study will be free of tution fees?

4. Anything else you want to suggest?

pemyrie

May 15, 2009
When I applied for my study permit I applied for visitors visas for my 2 minor children. When I landed at the airport I told the immigration officer that I am on a study permit and my children will be staying with me for the duration of my studies. They were issued a document that extended their stay as visitors and the expiry date matched my study permit. This document is what I used for admission to school, since they can attend school free of cost up to high school, once the parent/s maintain a valid study/work permit. That being said, everyone does their thing differently and I have heard of other people who apply for a study permit for their kids- just sharing what I did and that it worked for me.
Applying at a port of entry (POE): A minor child coming to Canada to study should have applied and obtained a letter of introduction (approval in writing) at a visa office, or be entitled to apply for a study permit upon entry pursuant to section R214. If they have not done so, and because POEs are considered “in Canada” for the interpretation of subsection A30(2), officers at a POE may authorize entry of the child as a temporary resident within the visitor class if all the requirements are met (e.g., the accompanying parent is permitted to work or study in Canada) and if the child is not otherwise inadmissible. The child should be documented on a visitor record. When the child ceases to be considered a minor, an application for a study permit must be submitted if they wish to continue studying.
Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/guidelines-on-minor-children.html

AskBD

Star Member
May 27, 2019
When I applied for my study permit I applied for visitors visas for my 2 minor children. When I landed at the airport I told the immigration officer that I am on a study permit and my children will be staying with me for the duration of my studies. They were issued a document that extended their stay as visitors and the expiry date matched my study permit. This document is what I used for admission to school, since they can attend school free of cost up to high school, once the parent/s maintain a valid study/work permit. That being said, everyone does their thing differently and I have heard of other people who apply for a study permit for their kids- just sharing what I did and that it worked for me.
Applying at a port of entry (POE): A minor child coming to Canada to study should have applied and obtained a letter of introduction (approval in writing) at a visa office, or be entitled to apply for a study permit upon entry pursuant to section R214. If they have not done so, and because POEs are considered “in Canada” for the interpretation of subsection A30(2), officers at a POE may authorize entry of the child as a temporary resident within the visitor class if all the requirements are met (e.g., the accompanying parent is permitted to work or study in Canada) and if the child is not otherwise inadmissible. The child should be documented on a visitor record. When the child ceases to be considered a minor, an application for a study permit must be submitted if they wish to continue studying.
Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/guidelines-on-minor-children.html
Thanks pemyrie, i didn't expect it to be that easy. Can i check a few more things with you? Like

1. Which year you did that?
2. What was the age of your children that time?
3. During visit visa children do i need to say they will visit me and come back? If i do, don't you think the POE officer will challenge it?

pemyrie

May 15, 2009
Thanks pemyrie, i didn't expect it to be that easy. Can i check a few more things with you? Like

1. Which year you did that? 2018
2. What was the age of your children that time? 15 and 7
3. During visit visa children do i need to say they will visit me and come back? If i do, don't you think the POE officer will challenge it? I put that they were accompanying me. And put the duration of my study- I was honest amd then at the immigration desk they approved them immediately for the extension of stay.
I also ensured I had enough funds to cover each child (cad $3000). Then I submitted their application with mine and my husband's. All together

AskBD

Star Member
May 27, 2019
thanks a lot. so when you first applied for visit visa the tenor was was less than your study period, which means their visit visa was approved for example 6 months. and at POE you said you want them to stay with you until your education is over and you showed the available funds and they approved your kid's SP. am i right?

rayrayray

Sep 23, 2016
This is one of the most helpful and rarest comments I have seen so far. Thank you so much for sharing your experience and opening my mind up to this. Do you remember by any chance what this document looked like or what this doument is called? why will i ask the immigration officer for this specfic document? what do i refer to it as?