+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minors and Adults PR Renewal (Residency Proof)

MEB

Jun 16, 2017
Good day all,
We are a family of 4 ; myself, my wife my daughter (14 yrs.) and my son (8 yrs.).

We were resident since 7th of August 2018, but after landing on that date we went back to continue my expat role outside Canada until 31st of July 2019, after which we permanently settled in Canada

We just applied for Citizenship but as this would take more than 2 years, we have to renew all of our PR cards (all of them do start of the 7th of August 2018).
I was astonished to realize the PR renewal paperwork/supporting documents may be actually more complicated and hectic than Citizenship ones!

Hence, wanted to ask about 2 main things:
1)From your experience, what are the easier supporting documents to use as proof of residency?

A)HR Letters?(only issue my wife is only working in scattered, seasonal or temp. roles, and may not be able to gather continuous and appropriate proof of work)
B)Pay Slips(Same issue as above for my wife)
C)NOA (We have only 2019 ,2020,2021 returns; as we did not apply for 2022 yet and during 2018, we were working outside Canada)
D)CCB Proof (My wife does have the associated proof from her CRA account, but do I have to submit a marriage certificate to proof we are married and both living with our children?)
E) Property SALE / Purchase REMAX/"Docu Sign" agreements and any Rental contracts before buying a house in Canada?
F)5 years' worth of Bank Statements for me and my wife (yeah for me this is the most non practical one!)

2)And my most important question....What to submit as residency supporting documents for both of my kids?
A)School reports?(We have 2019,2020,2021 end of year reports, but nothing for 2022 yet and 2018 we were outside Canada)
B) CCB payments as well?
C)Property Sale/Purchase contracts, and hence proof they were residing in associated houses?

Sorry for the long post and list of Q's, but I am much more confused with PR renewal process even compared to citizenship requirements. Your support is highly appreciated guys!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Good day all,
We are a family of 4 ; myself, my wife my daughter (14 yrs.) and my son (8 yrs.).

We were resident since 7th of August 2018, but after landing on that date we went back to continue my expat role outside Canada until 31st of July 2019, after which we permanently settled in Canada

We just applied for Citizenship but as this would take more than 2 years, we have to renew all of our PR cards (all of them do start of the 7th of August 2018).
I was astonished to realize the PR renewal paperwork/supporting documents may be actually more complicated and hectic than Citizenship ones!

Hence, wanted to ask about 2 main things:
1)From your experience, what are the easier supporting documents to use as proof of residency?

A)HR Letters?(only issue my wife is only working in scattered, seasonal or temp. roles, and may not be able to gather continuous and appropriate proof of work)
B)Pay Slips(Same issue as above for my wife)
C)NOA (We have only 2019 ,2020,2021 returns; as we did not apply for 2022 yet and during 2018, we were working outside Canada)
D)CCB Proof (My wife does have the associated proof from her CRA account, but do I have to submit a marriage certificate to proof we are married and both living with our children?)
E) Property SALE / Purchase REMAX/"Docu Sign" agreements and any Rental contracts before buying a house in Canada?
F)5 years' worth of Bank Statements for me and my wife (yeah for me this is the most non practical one!)

2)And my most important question....What to submit as residency supporting documents for both of my kids?
A)School reports?(We have 2019,2020,2021 end of year reports, but nothing for 2022 yet and 2018 we were outside Canada)
B) CCB payments as well?
C)Property Sale/Purchase contracts, and hence proof they were residing in associated houses?

Sorry for the long post and list of Q's, but I am much more confused with PR renewal process even compared to citizenship requirements. Your support is highly appreciated guys!
If you have been physically present in Canada more than 730 days within the five years preceding the date you make the PR card application (that is, not outside Canada for 1095 or more days during these five years), you can make the PR card application without submitting supporting documentation to show you met the residency requirements.

Good idea to collect and retain the kind of documents you reference, both for the citizenship application and for proof of PR RO compliance, to have to present IF CHALLENGED. Most PRs meeting the presence requirement for citizenship are NOT likely to be challenged, either in the processing of their citizenship application or in the processing of a PR card application.

It appears you might want to revisit the application form and instructions, the checklist, and the guide, and be sure to focus on and distinguish instructions, including those regarding documents to submit with the application, that apply to all PRs versus those which apply only to some PRs. In the checklist, for example, under the heading for items to include with the application it states:
[ ] Proof of residency requirements if you were outside Canada for 1095 days or more in the past five (5) years. Please refer to Appendix A of the instruction guide for a list of the documents required.

Note the "if" in this checklist item.

Similarly, in the guide (IMM 5445), in the section describing documents to submit, under a heading specifying "Additional documents you may need to complete and submit, if they apply" it states:
Proof of residency requirement: if you were outside Canada for 1095 days or more in the past five (5) years, provide supporting documents as they apply to you based on the situations outlined in Appendix A: Residency Obligation.

Here too, emphasis on you MAY need to submit . . . IF they apply . . .

MEB

Jun 16, 2017
If you have been physically present in Canada more than 730 days within the five years preceding the date you make the PR card application (that is, not outside Canada for 1095 or more days during these five years), you can make the PR card application without submitting supporting documentation to show you met the residency requirements.

Good idea to collect and retain the kind of documents you reference, both for the citizenship application and for proof of PR RO compliance, to have to present IF CHALLENGED. Most PRs meeting the presence requirement for citizenship are NOT likely to be challenged, either in the processing of their citizenship application or in the processing of a PR card application.

It appears you might want to revisit the application form and instructions, the checklist, and the guide, and be sure to focus on and distinguish instructions, including those regarding documents to submit with the application, that apply to all PRs versus those which apply only to some PRs. In the checklist, for example, under the heading for items to include with the application it states:
[ ] Proof of residency requirements if you were outside Canada for 1095 days or more in the past five (5) years. Please refer to Appendix A of the instruction guide for a list of the documents required.

Note the "if" in this checklist item.

Similarly, in the guide (IMM 5445), in the section describing documents to submit, under a heading specifying "Additional documents you may need to complete and submit, if they apply" it states:
Proof of residency requirement: if you were outside Canada for 1095 days or more in the past five (5) years, provide supporting documents as they apply to you based on the situations outlined in Appendix A: Residency Obligation.

Here too, emphasis on you MAY need to submit . . . IF they apply . . .
Oh My GOD, Thanks so much dpenabill! I was so dragged into the citizenship application I just submitted; my mind set was very focused on supporting documents that I mixed the 1095 days requirement with supporting documents' requirements with the 730 days requirement mentioned under Appendix A.... I guess I went right away to read Appendix A with the 730 days thing mentioned there and hence thought this applies to anyone spending 730 days inside Canada the last 5 years !

So, if I am already more than 3 years inside Canada, all I have to do is (given no special cases do apply to us):
1)Fill the associated form for all 4 family members
2)2 photos for each family member (that meet associated requirements)
3)1 or 2 pieces of ID for each family member
4)Existing PR card for each one of us
5)School reports for each of my kids (What else to supply here?)
6)English Birth certificates for each of my kids
7)Fees' receipts
8)The checklists itself

Am I missing anything @dpenabill ? What about Minors School records ..what is usually being supplied there ?

Your support is Highly appreciated !