+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor Child with Expired Permit and TRV - Alternatives to Restoration?

bellibruno

Oct 16, 2017
Hi all,

I am currently in Canada doing my masters with a study permit. My wife has an open work permit and our oldest son has a study permit as well. All of these permits are valid until December 2018.

Our youngest son (13 months old) received a TRV and a visitor record valid only until the expiration date of his passport, that was 02/10/2017. We had some problems getting him a new passport in our country's consulate and the process took a lot longer than we expected, so his new passport was only issued 10/10/2017, eight days after his permit and visa had expired. As a result, we can no longer apply for a simple extension.

It seems that the most straightforward process would be applying for restoration of his status, but the wait times for that are over 100 days. My question is if there is any way to do this faster, perhaps flagpolling a point of entry. We would like to travel internationally in about 2 months and were hoping to have everything sorted out by then. Would it be better for us to cancel these travel plans and just wait for the restoration process to run its course?

Thanks in advance! I really appreciate any help I can get.

tarun27in

Dec 7, 2018
Hi all,

I am currently in Canada doing my masters with a study permit. My wife has an open work permit and our oldest son has a study permit as well. All of these permits are valid until December 2018.

Our youngest son (13 months old) received a TRV and a visitor record valid only until the expiration date of his passport, that was 02/10/2017. We had some problems getting him a new passport in our country's consulate and the process took a lot longer than we expected, so his new passport was only issued 10/10/2017, eight days after his permit and visa had expired. As a result, we can no longer apply for a simple extension.

It seems that the most straightforward process would be applying for restoration of his status, but the wait times for that are over 100 days. My question is if there is any way to do this faster, perhaps flagpolling a point of entry. We would like to travel internationally in about 2 months and were hoping to have everything sorted out by then. Would it be better for us to cancel these travel plans and just wait for the restoration process to run its course?

Thanks in advance! I really appreciate any help I can get.

I am in the same situation, did you restored the status of your child as visitor? How did you get the TRV afterwards? Did you flagpole or applied online? I would appreciate your prompt reply.

VinD123

Apr 5, 2023
Hi, I am in the similar situation. Through flagpole, I have received PGWP and my kid(7 year old) received a visitor record. When I applied for TRV, I have received a PPR. But, for my kid's application, IRCC has sent a "In Canada Approval Letter" after approving the application. Can someone please suggest how my kid can get a TRV, while staying in Canada?

Sergato14

Apr 5, 2023
Hello. I'm in the same situation. I need to apply for the TRV of my minor children but when I do, they ask me for the IMM 5708 form, which is not correct.