+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minimum wage requirement for CEC - HELP

james456

Jul 14, 2020
Hey guys! In a bit of a sticky situation. Was working as a bar manager (NOC 0631) for 10 months when Covid hit and shut us down permanently. I'm now back at my other job where I work as a bartender. They have offered me a job as a supervisor which would fit with NOC 0631 again but I would still be on server minimum ($12.20) and my wage would be topped up with a manager tip-out. I'm concerned that they will not accept this even if my title and duties officially change and my employer writes a reference letter to this effect. The CIC website says there is no minimum wage requirement but I'm not sure if they would be sceptical. Any advice would be appreciated!

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
"The CIC website says there is no minimum wage requirement but I'm not sure if they would be sceptical." I'd take them at their work in the absence of any evidence to the contrary. Unless you like making yourself crazy.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
"The CIC website says there is no minimum wage requirement but I'm not sure if they would be sceptical." I'd take them at their work in the absence of any evidence to the contrary. Unless you like making yourself crazy.
It's not that clear cut. The OP's question is justified.

Technically there are no salary requirements. However in reality, if the salary is too low this can cause IRCC to question if the individual is really doing a NOC A, B, or 0 job (since they are not being compensated in alignment) or whether they are actually doing a NOC C or D role which of course doesn't count towards CEC. We have seen a number of refusals on this forum for that reason (e.g. IRCC decided that based on salary the individual wasn't really a manager). That's what the OP is concerned about. Generally when you are being paid less than the "low" wage for your NOC in your part of the country you are potentially at risk for this happening.

OP - I don't think there is a clear cut answer to your question unfortunately however ideally your base wage should not be the server wage but higher. You don't say what province or city you are in. Published low end of the wage for this NOC is 13.50 for Canada but may be lower for your region. Any chance they are going to give you a pay increase soon? When you get your experience letter, I would make sure that your employer includes the fact that you were compensated with manager tips. I don't know if this will put you in the clear. There isn't a clear cut answer since a lot of this is up to the individual officer who looks at your application.

james456

Jul 14, 2020
It's not that clear cut. The OP's question is justified.

Technically there are no salary requirements. However in reality, if the salary is too low this can cause IRCC to question if the individual is really doing a NOC A, B, or 0 job (since they are not being compensated in alignment) or whether they are actually doing a NOC C or D role which of course doesn't count towards CEC. We have seen a number of refusals on this forum for that reason (e.g. IRCC decided that based on salary the individual wasn't really a manager). That's what the OP is concerned about. Generally when you are being paid less than the "low" wage for your NOC in your part of the country you are potentially at risk for this happening.

OP - I don't think there is a clear cut answer to your question unfortunately however ideally your base wage should not be the server wage but higher. You don't say what province or city you are in. Published low end of the wage for this NOC is 13.50 for Canada but may be lower for your region. Any chance they are going to give you a pay increase soon? When you get your experience letter, I would make sure that your employer includes the fact that you were compensated with manager tips. I don't know if this will put you in the clear. There isn't a clear cut answer since a lot of this is up to the individual officer who looks at your application.
I'm in Toronto. They aren't able to give me a pay increase. Things have slowed down since covid and they effectively would be drawing from tips to boost my wage - plus other perks like meal allowances. The only thing that gets me is the CIC website which states that there is no minimum but I feel as though you're correct in saying that it may come down to the individual officer deciding if its a 'red flag'

Dhaval41194

Mar 26, 2021
I'm in Toronto. They aren't able to give me a pay increase. Things have slowed down since covid and they effectively would be drawing from tips to boost my wage - plus other perks like meal allowances. The only thing that gets me is the CIC website which states that there is no minimum but I feel as though you're correct in saying that it may come down to the individual officer deciding if its a 'red flag'
Hi there,
Minimum payment for you noc code was created problem for your permanent residency file?
Thanks in advance