+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Migrating to Canada as an Asylum from Nigeria

Nelly1

Oct 16, 2023
Hello, please I need an advice on how to migrate to Canada from Nigeria as an Asylum seeker. A friend told me to apply for a visiting visa first and once I get to canada, I can apply for an asylum.

My questions are:
1. If I travel to Canada through visiting and later seek for an asylum in Canada, will my request be granted without questioning why I applied for a visiting visa. Or is there any other means to seek for an asylum in Canada?

2. Is it a good thing to seek for an asylum as a Nigerian due to the situation of the country?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello, please I need an advice on how to migrate to Canada from Nigeria as an Asylum seeker. A friend told me to apply for a visiting visa first and once I get to canada, I can apply for an asylum.

My questions are:
1. If I travel to Canada through visiting and later seek for an asylum in Canada, will my request be granted without questioning why I applied for a visiting visa. Or is there any other means to seek for an asylum in Canada?

2. Is it a good thing to seek for an asylum as a Nigerian due to the situation of the country?
Your biggest challenge is to get the TRV. You need to show funds to afford to come to Canada, travel history, ties to return (job with approved leave, investments, properties, business etc). Nigeria has a high refusal rate because of the number of people who claim asylum. You can claim once you come to Canada. Of course you will be questioned and interviewed so you want to show persecution if you return (medical records, police reports, emails, letters etc.).

Reactions: Indeed

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

My questions are:

Like any other asylum claimants you will have to show that you are being persecuted and your life is risk in Nigeria and you have attempted to move to different regions of Nigeria and you are still facing persecution. Proof of hospitalizations, proof of threats, proof of involvement in persecuted groups, etc. Many coming from Nigeria are economic immigrants and will be denied asylum. It is dependent on the person. Claiming asylum even if approved has significant longterm consequences for both you and family members. If you claim asylum and are approved you will not be able to return to your home country for up to the next 10 years sometimes longer until you are able to secure Canadian citizenship . Your family members will have difficulty traveling or getting temporary permits to Canada and other countries. If denied asylum you can also struggle to get permits and visas to other countries. Due to a shortage of shelter a Nigerian asylum claimant sadly died last month because he was sleeping outdoors in a tent due to lack of indoor shelter spaces and was heating his tent and died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Claiming asylum is very difficult at the moment because of lack of resources. I would suggest consulting an immigration attorney about your chances of getting approved. You will first have to apply for a TRV and get aPproved. You should show that you have savings to support your travel and stay in Canada without using a large portion of your savings, proof of other international travel especially to countries like US, UK, etc. and proof of strong ties to Nigeria (good longterm job, spouse or dependent children who will remain in Nigeria, property ownership, etc.). You should also have a good reason to travel to Canada.

Reactions: Micmanuel39