Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2012
AOR Received.
16-12-2012
File Transfer...
19-09-2012
Thanks Eduram - that's helpful to know. Congrats on the visa and best of luck for the future!

ecreasey

Feb 2, 2013
Hello everyone, i'm glad i found this forum and read how many people as been in the same process and situations. Im married and have 2 small kids with my wife, Im a Canadian citizen and i lived out of Canada all my life. I moved to Ontario last July and haven't seen my wife and kids since then.
I sent my application so sponsor my wife and kids and it was received on Nov.5th, i got a letter from CIC on December 18th saying that i was approved as a sponsor and that they will submit the permanent residence application to Mexico. According to the cic website times for processing the application in mexico is 13month!
I was wondering, according to your own personal experiences, how long does it really takes, are those 13 months a real average or is just that it could take up to 13months.
I sent a completed application including medical exams, criminal records, pictures and all the fees paid.
Thank you for your time, and good luck to all with your applications!

bttmntl

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2013
ecreasey said:
Hello everyone, i'm glad i found this forum and read how many people as been in the same process and situations. Im married and have 2 small kids with my wife, Im a Canadian citizen and i lived out of Canada all my life. I moved to Ontario last July and haven't seen my wife and kids since then.
I sent my application so sponsor my wife and kids and it was received on Nov.5th, i got a letter from CIC on December 18th saying that i was approved as a sponsor and that they will submit the permanent residence application to Mexico. According to the cic website times for processing the application in mexico is 13month!
I was wondering, according to your own personal experiences, how long does it really takes, are those 13 months a real average or is just that it could take up to 13months.
I sent a completed application including medical exams, criminal records, pictures and all the fees paid.
Thank you for your time, and good luck to all with your applications!
Welcome to the forum. =)

OhCanadiana explained the wait times really well here:

OhCanadiana said:
So, the way the timing officially works is separate - so you add step 1 to step 2. The timing published online by CIC at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp is for 80% of the cases so most cases are done faster than that but the tail of the distribution can be very long.

You can see the statistics at a more nuanced level at http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/case-processing-speed-at-visa-offices-step-2-t102206.0.html for 2011. Mexico City completed 20% of cases in 5 months, 30 % in 6 mo., 50 % in 7 mo., 70 % in 11 mo., & 80% in 13 mo..
So looks like step 2 could take as little as 5 months or as long as 13. It may be mostly luck but I bet it makes a difference how thoroughly/carefully you put together your application. Maybe the cases done in 13 months are where people were asked to submit things they forgot or replace expired medical, police checks, etc.

ecreasey

Feb 2, 2013
Thanks for the reply, i hope i got everything there. It took us almost 5 months to get everything ready (we had to translate every single document).
If any of the documents are missing shouldn't they notify me when they received and approved me as a sponsor? or they don't pay attention to that and just forward the papers to the immigration in mexico. Also should i call or email them? would that help in any aspect or might not? Sorry about all the questions.
Thanks again!

Monarca

Sep 29, 2011
"The expiration date of the PRC doesn't matter. What matters, technically, is their ability to meet the residency obligation within the rolling 5 years . That being said, they wouldn't be denied entry at the border. Instead, the BSO can report them so that their status is reviewed and then their PR status could be revoked during that review process. So, it is important to try to make sure that they can be in Canada 2 years within every rolling 5 year period.

Are you planning to naturalize? If so, if your children are under 18 when you naturalize they can naturalize simultaneously:

You must be at least 18 years old to apply for Canadian citizenship.

To apply for citizenship for a child under 18, the following conditions must be met:

the person applying is the child's parent, adoptive parent or legal guardian
the child is a permanent resident, but does not need to have resided in Canada for three years; and
one parent is already a Canadian citizen or is applying to become a citizen at the same time. This also applies to adoptive parents."

Thank you OhCanadiana. Unfortunatelly I have not completed my 3 year wait period to apply for citizenship, so I could not apply for my children's either.

This summer they will be 24 months prior to the end of their 5 year PRC. So I am afraid that when they travel to Canada, they will have their PRC reviewed and eventually revoked. So, if it comes to this situatiion, does it mean that I then would have to apply for their PR through family sponsorship? Can I do this after their PRC is revoked? If I need to re-apply for their PRC thru sponsoring, how long would it take to get it back?

bttmntl

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2013
ecreasey said:
Thanks for the reply, i hope i got everything there. It took us almost 5 months to get everything ready (we had to translate every single document).
If any of the documents are missing shouldn't they notify me when they received and approved me as a sponsor? or they don't pay attention to that and just forward the papers to the immigration in mexico. Also should i call or email them? would that help in any aspect or might not? Sorry about all the questions.
Thanks again!
It took us about that long to get everything ready too. Exhausting, isn't it?

Citizenship and Immigration may do a completeness check and let you know if any major part is missing like the medical exam, forms, etc. But I have my doubts they go into a lot of detail there beyond the sponsor's details.

The Embassy is where they review the proof of relationship and suitability of the sponsored spouse. That's where they may find you left a field blank on one of your forms or there is some kind of logical contradiction in the information. Officially, they reserve the right to reject your application if anything is off, but in actual practice - from what I've gathered here - they are a lot more flexible with the family class sponsorship than other types and will give you a chance to provide more info.

You can't call the Embassy to my knowledge. You can send a case specific enquiry, which is basically like sending them an email but you have to do it using their web form. Use the address in your sponsor approval email to get there. Use this sparingly, only for the reasons they list on their site or something big. It's probably a good idea to try to get your answer from this forum before sending an enquiry as it can cause delays and they will probably get annoyed if they receive too many.

Last but not least... remember you spent 5 months preparing this. That shows you took your time to do it right. Have faith in all the effort you put into this and let yourself relaxe. =)

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Monarca said:
Thank you OhCanadiana. Unfortunatelly I have not completed my 3 year wait period to apply for citizenship, so I could not apply for my children's either.

This summer they will be 24 months prior to the end of their 5 year PRC. So I am afraid that when they travel to Canada, they will have their PRC reviewed and eventually revoked. So, if it comes to this situatiion, does it mean that I then would have to apply for their PR through family sponsorship? Can I do this after their PRC is revoked? If I need to re-apply for their PRC thru sponsoring, how long would it take to get it back?
If they cease being Canadian PRs, yes, you would need to sponsor them through family sponsorship. You can see the timing at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp. The application (so you can check eligibility - they would need to be your dependents, have signed permission from the other parent, meet certain education requirements, etc) is available at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

To understand the details of their admissibility and possible review of status when they try to enter Canada, take a look at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bttmntl said:
It took us about that long to get everything ready too. Exhausting, isn't it?

Citizenship and Immigration may do a completeness check and let you know if any major part is missing like the medical exam, forms, etc. But I have my doubts they go into a lot of detail there beyond the sponsor's details.
Correct. During step 1, CPC-M's objective is to confirm that the sponsor is eligible to sponsor by verifying that the sponsor is a Canadian citizen or PR, at least 18 years old, residing/intending to reside in Canada (as applicable), has completed and signed the application and undertaking, not subject to a removal order, not convicted of crime that renders sponsor ineligible or detained, has completed and signed the application and undertaking, etc. Based on this, they make a recommendation to the local visa office and forward the application (if the recommendation is positive).

In contrast, the visa officer who will review your application in Mexico and approve/deny it will review the whole application (incl. sponsor's application) and evaluate your eligibility on the day s/he makes the decision as required by IRPA so the local visa office will really look into the details.

msprisci

Oct 29, 2012
Miami
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-01-2013
AOR Received.
03-06-2013
File Transfer...
20-02-2013 Sponsorship Approval
Med's Done....
04-01-2013
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
02-12-2013
OhCanadiana said:
I was suggesting opening a FedEx or UPS account instead because by using an account number you can save the trip to get the waybill and, if you don't have a credit card, don't need to worry about guesstimating weight (some Embassies don't even accept prepaid waybills because they don't want 'insufficient postage' issues).

Yes. If you print the waybill and pdf it you can send it to them as a case specific enquiry attachment and save yourself having to mail the waybill to them (or drop it off) saving time and one-way shipping charges.
OhCanadiana, thanks for the great info you bring to this forum! and bttmntl, thanks for asking the question. I will do that for sure! Once I get approved as a sponsor...This forum is awesome ^^

msprisci

Oct 29, 2012
Miami
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-01-2013
AOR Received.
03-06-2013
File Transfer...
20-02-2013 Sponsorship Approval
Med's Done....
04-01-2013
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
02-12-2013
Hey guys,

So I've been catching up on my readings of the forum, while patiently waiting for my sponsorship approval, and I heard about the Schedule A resubmittal. Does anybody know if I could send it to them in advance, since I know I didn't fill in his working history since he's 18. Or would it be better to wait, so they don't get confused?

Thanks in advance!

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
msprisci said:
OhCanadiana, thanks for the great info you bring to this forum! and bttmntl, thanks for asking the question. I will do that for sure! Once I get approved as a sponsor...This forum is awesome ^^
My pleasure :)

msprisci said:
Hey guys,

So I've been catching up on my readings of the forum, while patiently waiting for my sponsorship approval, and I heard about the Schedule A resubmittal. Does anybody know if I could send it to them in advance, since I know I didn't fill in his working history since he's 18. Or would it be better to wait, so they don't get confused?

Thanks in advance!
You could send it to the Embassy of Canada in Mexico once you have your sponsorship approval and file number with a note indicating your understanding is that they've been asking applicants for it and wanted to make sure they had it in their records. Alternatively, if you (or the applicant) lives in Mexico it may just be easier to do it when they ask for it, likely when they request the PGR background check, so you can send them (or drop them off) simultaneously and it all goes into your file at once.

Eduram

Star Member
Aug 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mex City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-01-2012
Doc's Request.
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
05-10-2012
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Request
09-10-2012
Med's Done....
11-10-2011 Med´s Redone: 10-29-2012
Interview........
29-01-2013
Passport Req..
29-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-01-2013
Question about Health Care in Alberta, their web page is kinda confusing.

I´m landing on Feb 15th, what do I have to do to get health care and when does it start? I want to make sure to see if I should buy a temporary health insurance before leaving, or if as my husband´s dependent I´m automatically covered.

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
Totally off topic question about Canadian credit. We celebrated 6 months in Canada this weekend (wow!) but my husband has yet to get a credit card. I got one in April at RBC by giving them $1,000. So at least one of us is building credit but my husband needs to start, he is already really late on this. But we don't want to give another $1,000 to get a secured visa especially since they locked mine up for 18 months instead of one year even though I am sure the account manager told me one year. Any advice?

Oscar27

Mar 15, 2011
Mexico City
Category........
Visa Office......
MEXICO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2012
Med's Done....
15-10-2012
Hey guys! Quick question...

My wife received an 'Eligibility Decision' email from CIC stating EXCELLENT NEWS → my wife is elegible to sponsor on the federal level! :D
Now onto the 2nd step, which is sponsorship approval on the Provincial level (we're moving to Montreal, Quebec). That email says that we should now do the MICC process in order for me to get the CSQ. We were looking at the forms and payment methods, and there is a form where we need to put a credit card number + the signature of the card holder's name. My question is: Is it Ok to pay with a Mexican Visa credit card?

And also, what happens with the CSQ? Will I be receiving it myself to bring to the embassy? or will MICC automatically send it to the embassy?

Thanks!!

meeshy

Star Member
May 31, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-10-2012 (PGR and SSP) 5-02-2013
AOR Received.
12-10-2012
File Transfer...
26-08-2012
Med's Done....
20-06-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
1-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
canadiangirl78 said:
Totally off topic question about Canadian credit. We celebrated 6 months in Canada this weekend (wow!) but my husband has yet to get a credit card. I got one in April at RBC by giving them $1,000. So at least one of us is building credit but my husband needs to start, he is already really late on this. But we don't want to give another $1,000 to get a secured visa especially since they locked mine up for 18 months instead of one year even though I am sure the account manager told me one year. Any advice?
Try capitalone, it's where I got my first card!