+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mexico

gsize

May 2, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009....denied Feb 2010.....appeal allowed (August 2012)..waiting for processing
Doc's Request.
04/04/2013
File Transfer...
30/01/2013
Med's Done....
04/2013 (second time)
Passport Req..
21/02, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
18/03/2014
LANDED..........
05/04/2014
meeshy said:
Gsize, tell me a little bit about your case? 3 years is aweful, so sorry to hear that, what has been the hold up?
its too depressing for me to talk about it. In a nutshell, our case was denied (not genuine)....had to Appeal in Toronto (wait time is 2 years for Appeal) back to Mexico for processing once again. they tell me, our case will be processed -once again....Feb 2013......

Hoping my partner will be with me (or whats left of me very soon) I have no more tears !

meeshy

Star Member
May 31, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-10-2012 (PGR and SSP) 5-02-2013
AOR Received.
12-10-2012
File Transfer...
26-08-2012
Med's Done....
20-06-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
1-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
gsize said:
its too depressing for me to talk about it. In a nutshell, our case was denied (not genuine)....had to Appeal in Toronto (wait time is 2 years for Appeal) back to Mexico for processing once again. they tell me, our case will be processed -once again....Feb 2013......

Hoping my partner will be with me (or whats left of me very soon) I have no more tears !
So sorry to hear that, I really dont understand why the appeal time takes so long, especially with the effects it can make on someones life :( Anyways, i hope your wait is over shortly

gsize

May 2, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009....denied Feb 2010.....appeal allowed (August 2012)..waiting for processing
Doc's Request.
04/04/2013
File Transfer...
30/01/2013
Med's Done....
04/2013 (second time)
Passport Req..
21/02, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
18/03/2014
LANDED..........
05/04/2014
meeshy said:
So sorry to hear that, I really dont understand why the appeal time takes so long, especially with the effects it can make on someones life :( Anyways, i hope your wait is over shortly
The waiting time for Appeals in Toronto is 2 years (it was for me) I have been told it is due to cutbacks and so many files that need to be processed. More than likely, you will be processed within the 13 month period. Just pray, they dont deny you....as they did to us (and we had a solid case.....the Judge also thought so on Appeal). Thank g-d for some sanity !!

bttmntl

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2013
OhCanadiana said:
Bttmntl. - you may want to consider looking at the checklists at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp which will give you the detailed info on what you need to send for the sponsor and principal applicant.
OhCanadiana.. we did look at that. We decided to part ways with our lawyer on the application. We're just gonna stick to the guides and the forms. Thanks for your reply. =)

@gsize - Wow, sounds like a tough situation. My heart goes out to you. And theories as to what they thought was not genuine about your case? I know it's hard to talk about but could help others going through the same challenge...

Did you include lots of letters of support, photos, etc?

You're so strong!

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bttmntl said:
OhCanadiana.. we did look at that. We decided to part ways with our lawyer on the application. We're just gonna stick to the guides and the forms. Thanks for your reply. =)
My pleasure =) Given that the page was down for a bit wasn't sure if you'd run accross it.

Regarding evidence, think about it as if you are leaving your application in an empty room with a desk. A skeptical person is going to walk in there and review it - quickly - and you want them to get the impression that you have a solid relationship. Therefore, anything that they may raise a question mark to the average skeptical person is explained within the realm of the application (typical question marks are things like age difference, language barriers, dtc) so add in an extra page with an explanation. Every question is answered and those that don't apply s ah n/a (i.e., you didn't forget to complete it). Regarding pictures, consider that there are people around the world who have staged weddings and vacations (e.g., Photoshopped themselves in and/or there are actually people CIC has found that pay people to dress up as of they are going to a wedding and then several couples take wedding pictures with their 'guests') so be extra-broad in your scope so that you convince the observer that they are genuine due to the breadth, scope, etc. Consider adding in names at least a few times for other people in the photos and their relationship to you. Add in special moments and also random moments in life that you may have. I really don't think CIC is trying make life hard; they just have seen so many things that are unimaginable to folks on the outside that they have to be extra careful. So, make it easy for them to take that decision under uncertainty by giving them more than enough evidence to do so (they can always ignore the rest once they are convinced).

And, above all, do what feels right to you.

Ask away, and good luck :)

ETA: If you want to better undestand the process, consider reading OP-2 (http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf) and keeping an eye on the various Bulletins too.

bttmntl

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2013
OhCanadiana said:
My pleasure =) Given that the page was down for a bit wasn't sure if you'd run accross it.

Regarding evidence, think about it as if you are leaving your application in an empty room with a desk. A skeptical person is going to walk in there and review it - quickly - and you want them to get the impression that you have a solid relationship. Therefore, anything that they may raise a question mark to the average skeptical person is explained within the realm of the application (typical question marks are things like age difference, language barriers, dtc) so add in an extra page with an explanation. Every question is answered and those that don't apply s ah n/a (i.e., you didn't forget to complete it). Regarding pictures, consider that there are people around the world who have staged weddings and vacations (e.g., Photoshopped themselves in and/or there are actually people CIC has found that pay people to dress up as of they are going to a wedding and then several couples take wedding pictures with their 'guests') so be extra-broad in your scope so that you convince the observer that they are genuine due to the breadth, scope, etc. Consider adding in names at least a few times for other people in the photos and their relationship to you. Add in special moments and also random moments in life that you may have. I really don't think CIC is trying make life hard; they just have seen so many things that are unimaginable to folks on the outside that they have to be extra careful. So, make it easy for them to take that decision under uncertainty by giving them more than enough evidence to do so (they can always ignore the rest once they are convinced).

And, above all, do what feels right to you.

Ask away, and good luck :)

ETA: If you want to better undestand the process, consider reading OP-2 (http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf) and keeping an eye on the various Bulletins too.
Thanks so much for all of this!!! You have a heart of gold!

We'll be sure to tell a compelling (and truthful) story.

One other detail question... so all of the translations should be accompanied by an affidavit and a cerified copy. Does that apply to the birth certificate? It seems a bit redundant to have a government-certified true copy of a birth certificate and a notary-certified copy of that copy... maybe the process guide will have some answers but I figured others have had to cross this bridge and may know.

bttmntl

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2013
Wow.. another frustrating thing is our lawyer's admin insisted we put the dates we visited as periods of cohabitation. This seemed counter-intuitive to us but we trusted her judgement. Looking at the OP 2 process guide it seems cohabitation is living together continuously with only small interruptions... in which case visiting each other on vacations is NOT cohabitation! Anyone else see it this way?

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
Yes I do. Visits are not cohabitation. So you applied common law? Did you live together a year with only short breaks at any point?

bttmntl

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2013
canadiangirl78 said:
Yes I do. Visits are not cohabitation. So you applied common law? Did you live together a year with only short breaks at any point?
Thanks for the reply, canadiangir78. We're married but question 27 on page 6 of the sponsored spouse questionnaire asks if you've ever lived with your sponsor. We said yes, and then it prompts you for periods of cohabitation... we were really sure it meant solid chunks of time where we lived in the same residence as a couple, not vacations, but our lawyer's admin disagreed with us and we deferred to her. But there's still time to change it, so we will.

I love this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sylvana

Oct 9, 2012
missmymexi said:
We got our PRG letter by courier this morning !! So my fiance is going to go to the GDL PRG office tomorrow, anyone had experience with this ? Also, we are thinking we would like a family member to pick up the SSP in DF, any advice on doing this ?
Hey!! im gonna say it in spanish, its easier for me, hope people dont mind it...
Yo fui a tomarme las huellas dactilares en el DF y finalmente, despues d justo 1 semana mañana iré a recoger esa carta q hoy me hablaron para decirme q ya estaba lista. Por otro lado obtener la d la SSP es mega fácil, me la dieron en 5 min, sólo lleve copia d acta d nacimiento y ID, si alguien va en tu nombre necesitas además una carta poder firmada x testigos también.

Si ya t llegó la carta entonces date no mas d 15 días pa a puedas enviar los docs a la embajada. Mucho éxito con tu file =) y cualquier cosa aquí ando!!

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
bttmntl said:
Thanks for the reply, canadiangir78. We're married but question 27 on page 6 of the sponsored spouse questionnaire asks if you've ever lived with your sponsor. We said yes, and then it prompts you for periods of cohabitation... we were really sure it meant solid chunks of time where we lived in the same residence as a couple, not vacations, but our lawyer's admin disagreed with us and we deferred to her. But there's still time to change it, so we will.

Hmmm if you're married then I don't know. You should PM ocanadiana.

tsjunx

Mar 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 19, 12
Doc's Request.
Aug 15, 12
AOR Received.
July 18, 12, Mexico: Aug 15, 12
File Transfer...
July 25, 12
Med's Done....
Feb 18, 12
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
Oct 1-12
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 10-12
LANDED..........
16-Nov-12
bttmntl said:

Hi btt... we did the same thing, we're married and for every question that didn't have a black and white answer we added an additional page explaining our answer to that specific question. For the cohabitation one, we wrote that during the time I was in Mexico we were living together since we were doing everything a couple does, shopping, laundry, dates etc, that although it was for short periods of times we would refer to this time as living together. We didn't have a problem so I guess we did something right :D good luck!

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
Ottawa: 23/07/2012 Mexico City: 20/08/2012
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012
Hey all,

I haven't posted much lately, but I just wanted to extend the invite for anyone who wanted to join the FB page, Mexican Spouses, you have to request to have permission to join (for privacy for all of us) There we talk about everything and anything, from immigration, to where to find mexican products in canada, settling in Canada and anything in between!

If you havent already joined, heres the link:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/442097089166742/

Just wanted to extend the invitation :D

muchacha

Star Member
Jan 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala.. now Mexico?
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2012
AOR Received.
16-12-2012
File Transfer...
19-09-2012
theonewiththeair said:
Hi all!
I recently got the email from the CIC saying that they sent the letter for me to get the Police checks from the PGR in the mail, but the mailing system in Mexico is not very reliable, I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and if they know where I can get and WHERE TO SEND the prepaid airway bill to get the letter soon! and get things going...

Also if you've had this issue and sent the prepaid airway, how much time until you get it back? Thank you! I would appreciate all the help I can get...
Hi, if you don't mind my asking, when was your sponsorship approved? Just trying to gauge when I can expect my AOR! Sorry I can't answer your questions as my spouse is not Mexican.

Also, does anyone know the rough time frame for getting a response from case specific inquiries? I know some people have posted how long it took them but I think it is buried somewhere in the 500+ pages :)

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bttmntl said:

canadiangirl78 said:
Hmmm if you're married then I don't know. You should PM ocanadiana.
I see that the question doesn't apply either way - so I would reference a separate piece of paper where you include the dates when you have spent time together and add in a note explaining the context of the visits/periods of cohabitation. Also, explain why you lived separately so that folks understand the reasoning and causes therof and make sure that when you tell the story of your relationship it is clear how your relationship developed and decided to marry even over the large distance (so folks understand the genuineness).

Congrats on going through OP-2 - few people actually do so. I think it's wonderful that you are going through the common-law section as it can give you a lot of insight into how they assess the development of a relationship and 'marriage-like' aspects of a partnership since it should apply to spouses too. Just remember that you don't need to necessarily go to the same level of detail to meet the common-law bar (e.g., letters from acquaintances attesting to your relationship are not required).

ETA: was interrupted halfway through this and see mc1234 gave you similar advice as I was drafting this note on the first part :)