Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
ARC requested Sept 28,2012 ARC sent October 18,2012... RCMP Sent Dec 17,2012. Additional court documents sent March 25, 2013.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
First medical March 2011, REDO Medical July 30, 2012
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
edgarsitow said:
When did you renew your medical? According to the website, they have to contact you within 3 months after you submitted it (usually less). If they don't, then you can start harassing them :)

If my case is any indication, I got contacted for the ARC 5 weeks after I gave them my last police certificate.
lol. well i sure hope they contact us before 3 months!!
we got it done august 16. so its only been over a month
if it takes 2 more months for that, ill be pissed! haha ill show up at the embassy door and raise hell :p jk! but seriously haha

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
TSauretBaxter said:
Well we are back in Fort McMurray now. The landing went smoothly. He didn't need the B4 form. So I'm not sure when you need that and when you don't. But thought I'd mention that. We got his SIN number easily. We have to get his Driver's License translated first before switching over to Canada, which we are doing through the YMCA immigrant services for free. I highly recommend checking out what immigrant services there are free. They're very helpful and welcoming. And we also got his AB health card number. I don't know why I thought we had to wait 3 months?? Maybe because we're married and he was just added on to my health care I guess.. He got a job today just at a grocery store until his english improves and we get his full driver's license. So it's been a busy few days, but he's getting settled in. He definitely likes it so far. Just finds a lot of things a little weird. :)

Hope everyone is doing well!
Some of the officers don't care about the B4 if you don't have goods to follow. Personally I don't think they should do that just in case - I think it is safer for us to have the proper paperwork. They were going to wave us through without bothering with the B4 until they saw we had a cat. But even in the other room they quizzed us but didn't stamp my husband's B4. I wish they had but it probably won't matter. If you don't have goods to follow then it isn't a big deal. Mine was stamped and I put pretty much everything on there including the car so I am keeping that even though I probably will never need it

Congrats on the successful landing! If my husband doesn't find a full time job in the next month or so he will probably go pick something up part time while he continues looking. It is great your husband found a job so fast - it will help him get settled in. Doesn't Fort McMurray get EXTREMELY cold? Poor guy, lol!

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
Ottawa: 23/07/2012 Mexico City: 20/08/2012
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012
So when my spouse lands... He should fill out the B4 forms even though he will only be bringing in clothes, and a few other small things?? Can someone explain the B4 to me please :)

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mc1234 said:
So when my spouse lands... He should fill out the B4 forms even though he will only be bringing in clothes, and a few other small things?? Can someone explain the B4 to me please :)
Yes, it would be best. And, if he's leaving anything behind for now that he intends to bring in sometime in the future, make sure it's on there as he can import it duty free later as long as he put it on the form upfront.

Here's a post I wrote that may help in a thread started by canadiangirl78. The thread has a broader discussion; this post has a good 101 (ignore the returning Canadian piece).

OhCanadiana said:
You must be very excited! There's specific forms you have to fill out (the cover page with all your info and first few items is called a B4, the continuation is called a B4A).

As a returning Canadian, you can fill out one B4/B4A set that will allow you to import goods duty free as long as you've been out of Canada for at least one year and have owned, used, and possessed the items for at least 6 months (6 month req't waived if you've been out of Canada for five years). If you are importing any item over 10,000 Canadian you will have to pay duties on the amount over 10k. The government gives you one opportunity to tell them what you are bringing in so you need to fill out all the forms upfront and then you can bring it in over time but be sure to include everything upfront.

Similarly, your husband, as an immigrant can fill out one B4/B4A set which he has to turn in on his first visit where he intends to live in Canada more than 12 months. He does not have the 10k limit per item.

As for filling out the forms, you can group like items together - eg clothes $xxxx if the value isn't huge or you can break it down a bit to say suits $xxxx, formal gowns $xxx, casual clothes $xxx. Same for lower value items like household goods, toiletries, etc. If you eat importing thing over several trips (or on plane vs shipment), try to separate line items per trip so that you don't run into issues when they cross items off as you import them.

For jewelry and electronics, you need to list them one per line item and include: for jewelry a photo and for electronics model and serial number. You may also want to take photos of furniture or any higher value item if you aren't importing it immediately. You can complete multiple B4A forms and just number them. Folks have also reported using other formats (Excel, packing lists) successfully.

If you can take an extra copy, it will make life easier for you and the CBSA agent since they keep one and give one (once stamped) back to you.

The B4 is available at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf
And the B4A is at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pbg/cf/b4a/

Detailed instructions are at http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5113-eng.html

If you're importing a car, there's a few more steps involved (I'm assuming not from the UK, though :) )

A few more thoughts:
- Regarding your trip this time around - if you are going in to re-establish residency (at least vis-a-vis immigration), then turn in the B4 when you arrive and take anything and everything you want in your luggage and leave it with friends, family, or in a storage container. You'll get a copy of the B4 and can use it to import your goods when you actually move (or if your husband isn't joining you, you can add any stragglers to his list)
- Careful with the timing of turning in your B4 if you are doing multiple trips. Technically, if you have exhibited an intent to move (house hunted, procured housing, etc) in a prior trip and didn't turn in your B4 then you could be precluded from turning it in on a later trip. For immigrants, for example, it's best to turn it in at landing vs. waiting. If you have questions on specifics of your situation, I have found CBSA's second line officers on their call center to be very helpful in giving you guidance and referring you to the exact rules that cover your situation.
- You don't have to import everything in the trip when you turn in the B4. They will give you a stamped copy back (they keep one too - that's why they appreciate if you take two copies when you cross the border) that you can show in the future when you import the rest of your goods.
- B4s are in individuals names - so you and your husband can either turn in one for both of you or two separate ones (either at the same time or different times) to cover all your items.
- Given that you have been living outside of Canada for over 5 years, you are exempt from having to have owned your items a minimum of 6 months (new immigrants don't have this constraint)

Hope this helps - don't hesitate to ask if you have additional questions!

TSauretBaxter

Jun 6, 2012
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Received 29-03-2012
Doc's Request.
PGR Aug 17-12
AOR Received.
Sponsorship Approved July 3-12/ Mexico AOR Aug 17/12
Med's Done....
February 2012
Interview........
Waived!!
Passport Req..
Sept 12-12
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 19-12
LANDED..........
Sept 21-12
canadiangirl78 said:
Some of the officers don't care about the B4 if you don't have goods to follow. Personally I don't think they should do that just in case - I think it is safer for us to have the proper paperwork. They were going to wave us through without bothering with the B4 until they saw we had a cat. But even in the other room they quizzed us but didn't stamp my husband's B4. I wish they had but it probably won't matter. If you don't have goods to follow then it isn't a big deal. Mine was stamped and I put pretty much everything on there including the car so I am keeping that even though I probably will never need it

Congrats on the successful landing! If my husband doesn't find a full time job in the next month or so he will probably go pick something up part time while he continues looking. It is great your husband found a job so fast - it will help him get settled in. Doesn't Fort McMurray get EXTREMELY cold? Poor guy, lol!
Yeah we don't plan on shipping anything later, except our dog!! I hope this won't be an issue. I guess he should have told him about the dog coming then when he landed.

Yeah it does get very cold, but September has been nice.. I think all of Alberta has had a nice fall so far. Hopefully the winter isn't too harsh. The economy is good here though. That's why he was able to get a job fast. It's something to start with for now, and to keep him busy. :)

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012
Thanks OhCanadiana! So we can fill it out before hand and then he just presents when he lands and makes sure they stamp it?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TSauretBaxter said:
Yeah we don't plan on shipping anything later, except our dog!! I hope this won't be an issue. I guess he should have told him about the dog coming then when he landed.

Yeah it does get very cold, but September has been nice.. I think all of Alberta has had a nice fall so far. Hopefully the winter isn't too harsh. The economy is good here though. That's why he was able to get a job fast. It's something to start with for now, and to keep him busy. :)
It shouldn't matter if the dog is on your B4 (or not) - AFAIK there are no duties or taxes associated with importing one dog that the B4 would 'save you'. The key will be to have his rabies certificate with you.

You can see all the requirements at http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/imports/policies/live-animals/pet-imports/dogs/eng/1331876172009/1331876307796

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012
OhCanadiana said:
Yes, exactly. :)
Okay perfect! Thanks. The B4 was really confusing me, thanks for clearing that up.

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012
Ohcanadiana the link to the B4 isn't working :( Does anyone have the updated one?

jeduardo

Jan 16, 2012
Fernandita said:
Hello, I would like to find people who apply oultand via Mexico... I want to know about their interview.. what is next after interview?

Thanks
I am from Mexico and I applied outland via USA and my interview was not necessary. It is taking forever, though.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mc1234 said:
Ohcanadiana the link to the B4 isn't working :( Does anyone have the updated one?
I see they've changed since I wrote the post, breaking the links. A quick search yielded the new locations:

B4: http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf

B4A: http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4a.pdf

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
ARC requested Sept 28,2012 ARC sent October 18,2012... RCMP Sent Dec 17,2012. Additional court documents sent March 25, 2013.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
First medical March 2011, REDO Medical July 30, 2012
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
TSauretBaxter said:

Yeah alberta has had nice weather., i was just in red deer for 3 weeks and the weather was awesome especially for sept!!. and apparently its still pretty nice.
:D

weve both decided when we come back we will go straight to calgary, I can transfer my course there and the economy is much better so my spouse should be able to find a job fast too

glad everything is going smooth for you guys!!
:)

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
TSauretBaxter said:

I don't think we paid a fee but I expected to.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/imp/petani/feefrae.shtml

TSauretBaxter

Jun 6, 2012
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Received 29-03-2012
Doc's Request.
PGR Aug 17-12
AOR Received.
Sponsorship Approved July 3-12/ Mexico AOR Aug 17/12
Med's Done....
February 2012
Interview........
Waived!!
Passport Req..
Sept 12-12
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 19-12
LANDED..........
Sept 21-12
LeisaP said:
Yeah alberta has had nice weather., i was just in red deer for 3 weeks and the weather was awesome especially for sept!!. and apparently its still pretty nice.
:D

weve both decided when we come back we will go straight to calgary, I can transfer my course there and the economy is much better so my spouse should be able to find a job fast too

glad everything is going smooth for you guys!!
:)
Yes I hope it means we have nice weather for winter. We saw lots of help wanted signs while we were in Calgary. :)