+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Metric odometer change necessary?

lenkoo

Sep 4, 2018
Hello all,

I am planning to import my car from USA to canada getting all the paperwork from the manufacturer and all. I have a question regarding what should I do with my odometer?

I have a manual odometer and I have it in miles and there are some readings in KM too. will this cause any problem if I am importing my car from USA to canada. I got all the other squared away but not this. Please advise me on this.

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
I'm not sure what you mean by manual odometer, or that some readings are in km. I'm just going to do my best to answer what I think is being asked.

From RIV:
Typical Vehicle Modifications
  • Recall clearance letter
  • The vehicle must bear a manufacturer's valid U.S. Statement of Compliance (SOC) label at the time of import/inspection.
  • Valid alpha-numeric 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
  • Metric speedometer
  • Odometer labels
  • Daytime running lights
  • Child restraint tether anchorage hardware kit
  • Child restraint tether anchorage point locations (see Transport Canada’s List of Vehicles Admissible from the United States)
  • French supplementary restraint system label for airbags that require periodic maintenance
  • Air bag equipped vehicles are required to have functioning air bags at the time of inspection.
  • If the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle is less than 10,000 lbs., and the manufacture date is after September 1, 2007, it must be equipped with an electronic immobilizer system that meets Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (CMVSS) 114.
Speedometers in the US often show both miles per hour and km per hour or can be converted between the two, so this is not usually an issue. Some odometers, on the other hand, do not convert between miles and km, in which case they will probably just give you a sticker that says "odometer reads in miles" during inspection (hence the "labels" and not a request for metric). I'll be importing my car in October and my odometer is fixed in miles, so I'll have to do the same thing.

Reactions: armoured

lenkoo

Sep 4, 2018
I'm not sure what you mean by manual odometer, or that some readings are in km. I'm just going to do my best to answer what I think is being asked.

From RIV:
  • The vehicle must bear a manufacturer's valid U.S. Statement of Compliance (SOC) label at the time of import/inspection.
  • Metric speedometer
  • Odometer labels
  • Daytime running lights
  • Child restraint tether anchorage point locations (see Transport Canada’s List of Vehicles Admissible from the United States)
  • French supplementary restraint system label for airbags that require periodic maintenance
  • Air bag equipped vehicles are required to have functioning air bags at the time of inspection.
  • If the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle is less than 10,000 lbs., and the manufacture date is after September 1, 2007, it must be equipped with an electronic immobilizer system that meets Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (CMVSS) 114.
Speedometers in the US often show both miles per hour and km per hour or can be converted between the two, so this is not usually an issue. Some odometers, on the other hand, do not convert between miles and km, in which case they will probably just give you a sticker that says "odometer reads in miles" during inspection (hence the "labels" and not a request for metric). I'll be importing my car in October and my odometer is fixed in miles, so I'll have to do the same thing.

From RIV:
  • Metric speedometer
  • Odometer labels
  • Daytime running lights
Thanks for all the information. Let me ask this silly question. I do not have childeren and I am single. Do I need to have child restraint tether anchorage hardware kit ?

Abhi1982

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
Thanks for all the information. Let me ask this silly question. I do not have childeren and I am single. Do I need to have child restraint tether anchorage hardware kit ?
I hope you got the response. WHether you have children or not, does not change the requirement of having child restraint tether. most cars would have it, if they are from the 21st century

Rajareddy

Jul 2, 2022

From RIV:
  • Metric speedometer
  • Odometer labels
  • Daytime running lights
Hello, Were you able to import your car with miles in odometer ? Am in same situation now.. Can you share your experience with importing the car