+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Meta][General] Who are VFS? Are they private or a government entity?

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
I hear a lot about VFS. They seem to be handling visa applications for several governments. Can someone explain who are they and how it works? (Given that visas are usually viewed as a very intimate government activity that is never contracted to the private sector).

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I first applied for a Canadian TRV before they started using VFS, and...I still got handled by a third party/private contractor that the local visa office was using, just to get my documents picked up and sent to the visa office and then delivered back to me. It was not in the process to send directly to the visa office. That’s all VFS really does anyway.

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
So what is the added value exactly? I'm really struggling to see the point as I always applied directly to government websites. At least for Canada, US & EU.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
So what is the added value exactly? I'm really struggling to see the point as I always applied directly to government websites. At least for Canada, US & EU.
There are some applicants who don't know how to use computers or let alone how to apply online. They prefer filling it out on paper and applying directly to VFS who handles all paperwork including your passport which they will send directly to the Visa Office Processing Centre.

And due to recent changes, IRCC wants from almost all countries applicants (excluding Visa Exempt) to have their biometrics done and biometrics can only be done at VFS.

That is why VFS is needed.

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
Aaah I see. In fact, I'm happy to hear they're contracting this, as the irrational paranoia about the subject refusing to get any private help or contracting to experts who can make things super efficient are probably a huge cause of delays and inefficiencies.

Notably though, in the US, biometrics for the UK and Canada are collected through the DHS's facilities.