+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mental Health Nurses from UK

D

dlee31

Although all nurses in Canada must take the Canadian Registered Nurse Exam (CRNE) to become an RN, anything before or after that is managed by the province.
Each province has a different way of dealing with internationally educated applicants.
The abbreviated process is something like this:

1. You apply to the provincial nursing regulatory body as an internationally educated nurse (IEN).
2. They assess your education, work experience, qualifications, English skills (and French, if you're applying to Quebec), etc.
3. They get back to you with an answer; a few examples could be
- You are qualified to take the CRNE and can register as an RN in Canada once you have passed
- You must fufill some outstanding requirements before becoming eligible to take the CRNE
: in many provinces they have you take paper & clinical assessment if they cannot decide based on your initial application
: you may have to go through a program recommended by the nursing body
- Your current education/experience does not meet Canadian standards (I think this is rare if you are already an RN in your home country)
4. After this it's largely case by case.

I'm not familiar with the nursing system in the UK so I'm not sure if this information is helpful to your situation,
but if you have a degree in nursing, are currently registered in your country, and speak English, there is a good chance you can at least apply.

Experience is not a requirement when applying, but it is definitely a plus.
I applied as an IEN from South Korea two years ago in Alberta, and I only had five months clinical experience at the time.
Personally, my experience trying to get qualified & find work in Alberta was a nightmare, but that's a whole other story :)

I would go to the nursing regulatory body of the province you intend to work in and go from there. Just Google "Nursing in (province)." Cheers!