+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medicines on Arrival

seemefree

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
Hi all,

I just have a query regarding the importing of prescription medication when entering Canada (for the first or any time after, as a permanent resident).

My partner uses contraception pills as has been prescribed to her by the doctor.
What is the maximum supply she can carry along? if she can carry it along in the first place.

Also, I use an inhaler for my mild asthma from time to time.
In some countries this is over the counter, in others it is a prescription drug.

I have seen this link : https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/medication which indicates that a supply lasting a maximum of 90 days is permitted to bring, provided it is in its original packaging, if it is prescription.

I just want to hear real feedback from people that have already travelled there with lots of medication.

Looking forward to your kind responses :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

I just have a query regarding the importing of prescription medication when entering Canada (for the first or any time after, as a permanent resident).

My partner uses contraception pills as has been prescribed to her by the doctor.
What is the maximum supply she can carry along? if she can carry it along in the first place.

In some countries this is over the counter, in others it is a prescription drug.

I have seen this link : https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/medication which indicates that a supply lasting a maximum of 90 days is permitted to bring, provided it is in its original packaging, if it is prescription.

I just want to hear real feedback from people that have already travelled there with lots of medication.

Maximum supply of personal medications anyone can carry is 90 days.

seemefree

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
Maximum supply of personal medications anyone can carry is 90 days.
Thank you so much for the quick response.

Regarding the ingredients that may be present in those medicines (which maybe illegal in Canada but legal where purchased), in that case, how do we analyze what is best taken and what is not? or is it allowed regardless, considering that it is a short term supply for pesonal consumption?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you so much for the quick response.

Regarding the ingredients that may be present in those medicines (which maybe illegal in Canada but legal where purchased), in that case, how do we analyze what is best taken and what is not? or is it allowed regardless, considering that it is a short term supply for pesonal consumption?
I would bring what you need and make sure you declare everything when you get to Canada. If there's anything that is not allowed, worst case scenario they will take it from you at the border.

ShaSal

Nov 28, 2018
Hi all,

Hi I am in a similar situation like you. I have an autoimmune condition and am on many drugs. Can I contact you further on this issue. Any help will be appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi I am in a similar situation like you. I have an autoimmune condition and am on many drugs. Can I contact you further on this issue. Any help will be appreciated.
If your goal is to immigrate to Canada you must figure out whether you will be medically inadmissible. Many people with autoimmune disorders are often on medications that cost over 19K/year.

ShaSal

Nov 28, 2018
If your goal is to immigrate to Canada you must figure out whether you will be medically inadmissible. Many people with autoimmune disorders are often on medications that cost over 19K/year.
This reply might be 3 years late. But for anyone who is dealing with an autoimmune condition and thinking of immigrating. I managed to go off all my meds within a year by changing my diet, lifestyle etc. That's a long discussion in itself. I successfully managed to immigrate as well without any issues. Haven't been on any meds since 2019 and secured a good job here. I did put an enormous amount of effort and dedication because I was determined. Don't let anyone tell 'you cannot'. Try and find a way out to solve your own problems.

Reactions: neil_user