+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MEDICAL SERVICES PLAN INVOICE & CRA Problem world income

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
Hello everyone,

I'm having issues with MSP in BC I am only a small hard-worker (paid minimum wage + commission) MSP is charging me per month 37.50$ this means I am making over 42,000 adjusted net income (see this link please https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/premiums/rates)

I'm a newcomer being in Canada more than 12 months filed taxes and got assessed and got refund as I worked only Three months in 2018...On July 5th I got a letter from CRA
"Goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax credit
(GST/HSTC) notice"

We cannot calculate the amount you may be entitled to receive for all periods
because we do not have all the necessary information. If you provide the
information we ask for in the Explanation section, we will process it and let
you know if you are entitled.

Explanation:

your world income, converted to Canadian dollars, for the period in 2018
before you came to Canada.

So I hired CPA he said "CRA is asking you some information about your world income before coming to Canada in 2018" I do not know why they asked this question.
So I asked him what I should do now ? CPA said you should claim what were you making.
So I claimed what I was making in the previous country but did hear back from CRA yet....

Now my questions & situation is like I have been charged by MSP 37.50$ (Per month) while I'm small minimum wage worker.

I called MSP revenue they mailed me an application asking me to fill it out depending on my assessment from CRA. The "MSP agent said" any payment made will be refunded after reviewing all my information.

But I have a notice for GST/HSTC mailed CRA but did not hear about it yet. shall this notice of GST/HSTC will affect on my case?

what I should do ? I do not want to fill out the form and after sometime I might be reassessed and I will end be a lier or giving misleading information or in accurate.

Also why would CRA ask about my previous income in other country since they care about income tax?
what mistake did my bookkeeper made during filing my tax return to make CRA ask about previous country income?

I'm moving to Ontario on September 5th shall this also affect on me ?

Thank you !

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your benefits are based on your previous year’s income. You don’t need an accountant you just have to send CRA proof of your income before you came to Canada.

Reactions: Clorets90

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
Your benefits are based on your previous year’s income. You don’t need an accountant you just have to send CRA proof of your income before you came to Canada.
All what i made was cash money I don't have any kind of proof what I should do now?
Thank you very much

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do you have bank records of you depositing your salary? You will have to call CRA and ask to see what proof will be accepted. We have seen that some give up when they can’t come up with adequate proof. Normally related to CCB and gst and start from when they arrive in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,

I'm having issues with MSP in BC I am only a small hard-worker (paid minimum wage + commission) MSP is charging me per month 37.50$ this means I am making over 42,000 adjusted net income (see this link please https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/premiums/rates)

I'm a newcomer being in Canada more than 12 months filed taxes and got assessed and got refund as I worked only Three months in 2018...On July 5th I got a letter from CRA
"Goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax credit
(GST/HSTC) notice"

We cannot calculate the amount you may be entitled to receive for all periods
because we do not have all the necessary information. If you provide the
information we ask for in the Explanation section, we will process it and let
you know if you are entitled.

Explanation:

your world income, converted to Canadian dollars, for the period in 2018
before you came to Canada.

So I hired CPA he said "CRA is asking you some information about your world income before coming to Canada in 2018" I do not know why they asked this question.
So I asked him what I should do now ? CPA said you should claim what were you making.
So I claimed what I was making in the previous country but did hear back from CRA yet....

Now my questions & situation is like I have been charged by MSP 37.50$ (Per month) while I'm small minimum wage worker.

I called MSP revenue they mailed me an application asking me to fill it out depending on my assessment from CRA. The "MSP agent said" any payment made will be refunded after reviewing all my information.

But I have a notice for GST/HSTC mailed CRA but did not hear about it yet. shall this notice of GST/HSTC will affect on my case?

what I should do ? I do not want to fill out the form and after sometime I might be reassessed and I will end be a lier or giving misleading information or in accurate.

Also why would CRA ask about my previous income in other country since they care about income tax?
what mistake did my bookkeeper made during filing my tax return to make CRA ask about previous country income?

I'm moving to Ontario on September 5th shall this also affect on me ?

Thank you !
Given that you have a family, your MSP premiums should actually be $75 per month. How is your family covered? Also note that you must be in BC for a year as a Canadian citizen or PR before qualifying for premium assistance.

As for the GST, credits received from July 2018 to June 2019 are based on 2017 income. As said above, find proof of your income for both 2017 and 2018 before you came to Canada.

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
Do you have bank records of you depositing your salary? You will have to call CRA and ask to see what proof will be accepted. We have seen that some give up when they can’t come up with adequate proof. Normally related to CCB and gst and start from when they arrive in Canada.
No I didn't have bank account all my life never thought of it. Everything is in cash money.

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
[QUOTE="canuck78, post: 8096852, member: 678500" We have seen that some give up when they can’t come up with adequate proof..[/QUOTE]
Please what do you mean by this I didn't understand what part you mean.

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
Given that you have a family, your MSP premiums should actually be $75 per month. How is your family covered? Also note that you must be in BC for a year as a Canadian citizen or PR before qualifying for premium assistance.

As for the GST, credits received from July 2018 to June 2019 are based on 2017 income. As said above, find proof of your income for both 2017 and 2018 before you came to Canada.
For MSP my CPA solved it I will mail form & letter tomorrow.

Thank you very much! now I understand why they asked for previous income ! but is this for everyone or only me (I mean is it like everyone must apply "by law" for GST & Credits or it is optional?) because all this issue I do not understand it. Why I have to apply for credits we do not want to get any help from government (because we feel shame we are young and can work) we like to work hard and avoid any issue under our names.
Where it is mentioned that I must apply for credits in the tax return package ?

My situation is we do not want money from government. I do not have any proof for the cash earned before coming to Canada.
what I'm suggested to do?
please excuse me if I'm not that good in discussing things my language is not very good but I can interact with so many people nicely.
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why do you need a CPA if you are working a minimum wage job and have never had a bank account? You would be pay a pretty high rate for something that you can do on your own.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
[QUOTE="canuck78, post: 8096852, member: 678500" We have seen that some give up when they can’t come up with adequate proof..
Please what do you mean by this I didn't understand what part you mean.[/QUOTE]

People give up trying to get their gst credit or CCB because they are not able to prove their previous salary with evidence that CRA is willing to accept. They start qualifying for the gst credit once they arrive in Canada and have income proof for that year.

How did you prove POF if you didn’t have a bank account? Perhaps you were a refugee.

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
Why do you need a CPA if you are working a minimum wage job and have never had a bank account? You would be pay a pretty high rate for something that you can do on your own.
Because when I ask questions people forward me to CPA accountant.
In Canada yes I have bank account but I never had one before arriving to Canada.

So I only worked in Cash. In middle east simply we don't have all these things very simple life No tax at all.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Because when I ask questions people forward me to CPA accountant.
In Canada yes I have bank account but I never had one before arriving to Canada.

So I only worked in Cash. In middle east simply we don't have all these things very simple life No tax at all.
Unless you have a business or complex investments you really don’t
CPA. You can help pay someone to help do your taxes but a CPA is very expensive and unnecessary. Even a bookkeeper would be better but not necessary if you are a salaried employee.

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
The bookkeeper "free return tax & my friend" told me I will get refund of 397$ while in fact I got in my account refund of 580.23$ so CPA told me your friend is not accurate and CRA corrected the value for you!
I included my T4 slip also.

I don't care if is expensive or no but I care that I don't like errors & mistakes under my name.
I am new I don't have someone like you to answer my questions.
Thank you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
For MSP my CPA solved it I will mail form & letter tomorrow.

Thank you very much! now I understand why they asked for previous income ! but is this for everyone or only me (I mean is it like everyone must apply "by law" for GST & Credits or it is optional?) because all this issue I do not understand it. Why I have to apply for credits we do not want to get any help from government (because we feel shame we are young and can work) we like to work hard and avoid any issue under our names.
Where it is mentioned that I must apply for credits in the tax return package ?

My situation is we do not want money from government. I do not have any proof for the cash earned before coming to Canada.
what I'm suggested to do?
please excuse me if I'm not that good in discussing things my language is not very good but I can interact with so many people nicely.
Thanks
Not sure what a CPA has done about your MSP. You aren't actually paying the correct amount for a family and as it appears you have been in Canada as a PR less than a year, you don't qualify for premium assistance.

You don't have to apply for credits but if you qualify, it is pretty ridiculous to not accept it. It is not welfare and receiving credits will never cause any issue. If you have issue with it, just put the money into an account for your kids or something.

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
Not sure what a CPA has done about your MSP. You aren't actually paying the correct amount for a family and as it appears you have been in Canada as a PR less than a year, you don't qualify for premium assistance.

You don't have to apply for credits but if you qualify, it is pretty ridiculous to not accept it. It is not welfare and receiving credits will never cause any issue. If you have issue with it, just put the money into an account for your kids or something.
Thank you for clarification I thought it is welfare or financial assistance...
I'm learning so many things each day!

I just want to know is it obligatory to sign up for GST credit?
Or optional?
And which paper or lines indicate the gst credit in the tax package?
Please answer me those questions.
Thank you very much