Star Member
Nov 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, US
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm from the states living in Canada with my husband and applying for PR. Anyone know of a good insurance plan that could also cover the cost of pregnancy while we're waiting for me to get PR? We're not pregnant, but don't want to take any chances of not being insured if it happens while waiting. Thanks

Nej

Star Member
Nov 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, US
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I guess I should've noted that I'm living in BC.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got insurance from Manulife when I needed it. I'm not sure if travel insurance usually covers pregnancy-related costs or not. Try checking with the individual plans. Just do a search for what's out there and see what they offer.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Nej:

There are a few companies listed here that specialize in insurance for newcomers to Canada: http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4001254

A friend of mine in BC said that she got good (and cheap!) insurance through BCAA. See here for details: http://www.bcaa.com/wps/portal/insurance/travel?rdePathInfo=xchg/bcaa-com/hs.xsl/1566.htm

I don't think travel insurance would usually cover you for pregnancy. I think some would only cover if you travelled somewhere and delivered prematurely. I don't think they would cover routine prenatal care.

Good luck.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
ariell said:
Hi Nej:

There are a few companies listed here that specialize in insurance for newcomers to Canada: http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4001254

A friend of mine in BC said that she got good (and cheap!) insurance through BCAA. See here for details: http://www.bcaa.com/wps/portal/insurance/travel?rdePathInfo=xchg/bcaa-com/hs.xsl/1566.htm

I don't think travel insurance would usually cover you for pregnancy. I think some would only cover if you travelled somewhere and delivered prematurely. I don't think they would cover routine prenatal care.

Good luck.
I totally agree with Ariell, travel insurance doesn't cover pregnancy, they even ask in their application papers if applicant is pregnant or not.

is there any insurance for pregnancy in Ontario?

Nej

Star Member
Nov 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, US
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the replys. I didn't find anything that covers pregnancy so I guess if it happens then we're going to pay out of pocket costs or I would have to go back to the states. :(

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry, I don't think there would be an insurance that would cover you for pregnancy. For that you would have to pay out of pocket.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, you said you are not pregnant yet. If you are planning to conceive, perhaps you should hold off for a few months to make sure you will be covered by provincial health care.

Nej said:
Thanks for the replys. I didn't find anything that covers pregnancy so I guess if it happens then we're going to pay out of pocket costs or I would have to go back to the states. :(

Nej

Star Member
Nov 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, US
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We are not expecting and not planning on it, but for personal reasons I'm not able to take the pill and other forms of contraceptives that involves chemicals/hormones. Which is why I was asking the questions. Just wanted to see what our options are just in case we were in that situation.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nej said:
We are not expecting and not planning on it, but for personal reasons I'm not able to take the pill and other forms of contraceptives that involves chemicals/hormones. Which is why I was asking the questions. Just wanted to see what our options are just in case we were in that situation.
Well there are other options than those of course .... ;)

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think you have a specific option in terms of health coverage per se, so a different kind of birth control might be in order. But that is not something for us to discuss on this forum! :eek:

:)

Nej said: