+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical Examination needed for Whole Family?

jesswyn

Jan 4, 2011
Hello, i'm applying to immigrate to canada to be with my husband, and it says I need my whole family (mother, father, sisters) to undergo a medical examination even if they are not applying/coming with me. Is this right? Want to know before I put them through that. Seems a bit odd.

Edit: Just read someone elses post and am now confused on wether I need to put them down in the list of family at all. It says list all family even if they are not coming with you. My family are not immigrating to canada ever in their life, do I still fill this out? It is confusing because other people have said they wrote down people that were coming LATER in the "people that are not coming with you" list, meaning the list is for people coming SOON, but it doesn't specify that on the forms.

Any comments are greatly appreciated :)

nylalisa

Jan 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2010
Doc's Request.
31-01-2011 (additional doc request)
AOR Received.
17-01-2011
File Transfer...
06-01-2011
Med's Request
30-03-2011
Med's Done....
21-10-2010
Interview........
30-03-2011 (Passed and approved same day)
Passport Req..
01-25-2011
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2011 (Received 09-04-2011)
LANDED..........
13-04-2011
There is one form in particular where you need to list your family (ie mother, father, sisters and brothers). However, the family they are referring to that must go for medical are any dependants that may not accompany you initially (ie: children or if only one spouse was coming now but you wanted to sponsor them later.) I was also confused by this part and needed clarification.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
The only people eligible to be sponsored by your husband, and so to be listed on IMM0008, are you and any of your "dependent" children who are not already Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Only those people included on IMM0008 are required to undergo medical and criminal examination, and submit photos.

Your parents and siblings need to be listed on IMM5406 (Additional Family Info), because they may be eligible to be sponsored by you in the future, after you become a permanent resident. They do not have to undergo examination now.

Definitions from the IRPA Regulations:

“family member” in respect of a person means
(a) the (foreign national) spouse or common-law partner of the person;
(b) a dependent child of the person or of the person’s spouse or common-law partner; and
(c) a dependent child of a dependent child referred to in paragraph (b).

“dependent child”, in respect of a parent, means a child who
(a) has one of the following relationships with the parent, namely,
(i) is the biological child of the parent, if the child has not been adopted by a person other than the spouse or common-law partner of the parent, or
(ii) is the adopted child of the parent; and
(b) is in one of the following situations of dependency, namely,
(i) is less than 22 years of age and not a spouse or common-law partner,
(ii) has depended substantially on the financial support of the parent since before the age of 22 — or if the child became a spouse or common-law partner before the age of 22, since becoming a spouse or common-law partner — and, since before the age of 22 or since becoming a spouse or common-law partner, as the case may be, has been a student
(A) continuously enrolled in and attending a post-secondary institution that is accredited by the relevant government authority, and
(B) actively pursuing a course of academic, professional or vocational training on a full-time basis, or
(iii) is 22 years of age or older and has depended substantially on the financial support of the parent since before the age of 22 and is unable to be financially self-supporting due to a physical or mental condition.