+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*** May 2020 AOR - Join here ***

SGSN

Mar 3, 2021
Hi @legalfalcon,

I am a passive follower of this group at times. @legalfalcon - Many Thanks for your valuable advice to this group.
I need advice regarding my CEC EE. My wife and I are both doctors, my wife is the principal applicant working as a family physician in Toronto. She is on closed WP / LMIA till August, however, she is finishing her job in mid-April. I am dependant on OWP. I have got a job in line to start as a family physician.
1. Can we apply for BOWP while waiting for COPR?
2. What are our options?
I spoke to IRCC / Webforms raised - Eligibility passed, criminality in progress and security not started. GCMS notes - Eligibility passed in July, Criminality - Recommend pass in July. No movement in our file for several months.

Thanks

SS

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon how much time period is considered as short term. If a person is going for 3 to 4 months, do they need to inform IRCC? Thanks
There is no specific time frame. The question you should ask is are you moving to another country for the foreseeable future, and if the answer is yes, then you would have change your CoR, and will have to update your address.

If the answer is no, then you needn't inform.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Thank you @legalfalcon

Suppose if they approve my PR while I am in India, can you tell me, what would happen in such situation?

Thank you for your time.
Danny
Usually IRCC is contacting applicants to confirm if they are in Canada or not. Assuming, that IRCC send your a COPR, then effective that day you will be a PR, but you will have to apply for a PRTD to travel back.

If they ask and you inform them that you will be returning back, then IRCC will send you a COPR after you return to Canada. If your stay is going to last longer outside Canada, then you can ask them to send you a PPR, but they may not until the travel restrictions are eased and will depend on the discretion of the officer.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi @legalfalcon,

I am a passive follower of this group at times. @legalfalcon - Many Thanks for your valuable advice to this group.
I need advice regarding my CEC EE. My wife and I are both doctors, my wife is the principal applicant working as a family physician in Toronto. She is on closed WP / LMIA till August, however, she is finishing her job in mid-April. I am dependant on OWP. I have got a job in line to start as a family physician.
1. Can we apply for BOWP while waiting for COPR?
2. What are our options?
I spoke to IRCC / Webforms raised - Eligibility passed, criminality in progress and security not started. GCMS notes - Eligibility passed in July, Criminality - Recommend pass in July. No movement in our file for several months.

Thanks

SS
1. Only the PA can apply for BOWP if you meet the following:
<https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html>
Who can apply for a BOWP
To be eligible, you must:

• live in Canada (Quebec not included)
  • have a valid work permit that expires in 4 months or less
  • be the principal applicant on your permanent residence application
  • have submitted a complete application for permanent residence and passed the completeness check
  • have your acknowledgement of receipt letter
    • we send this letter to your account after we get your permanent residence application

For dependents see <https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/provincial-nominees-permanent-resident-applicants/bridging-open-work-permits.html#spouse_or_common_law>

Spouse or common‑law partner and dependants
See Public policy, competitiveness and economy instructions for conditions that must be met by the holder of a BOWP for their spouse or common-law partner to also be eligible for an open work permit under subparagraph R205(c)(ii) as a spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker.

In all cases, the BOWP must be valid for longer than 6 months.

Dependent children of a permanent residence applicant in any of these economic classes must obtain an LMIA or have an LMIA exemption based on their specific situation to apply for a work permit.

danny_joe

Star Member
Apr 29, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
17-05-2020
Usually IRCC is contacting applicants to confirm if they are in Canada or not. Assuming, that IRCC send your a COPR, then effective that day you will be a PR, but you will have to apply for a PRTD to travel back.

If they ask and you inform them that you will be returning back, then IRCC will send you a COPR after you return to Canada. If your stay is going to last longer outside Canada, then you can ask them to send you a PPR, but they may not until the travel restrictions are eased and will depend on the discretion of the officer.
@legalfalcon thank you so much !

s.simhad

Star Member
Apr 16, 2020

If my work permit is still valid after receiving the copr while I am outside Canada, can I travel back to enter Canada using my work permit? As PRTD might take few weeks right?

siji083

Dec 10, 2020
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-03-2020
AOR Received.
25-03-2021
Med's Done....
10-03-2020
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2020
Hey Guys.... Finally, after ONE year of waiting got COPR today.
March 27 Aor
CEC + 1 depended (both Inland)
Everything was passed last June (except criminality)
Bio Given Oct 22, 2020
Our file was stuck in criminality under progress till this Monday.
Background passed on March 2nd, COPR Today.
Our Journey end today.. Good luck to everyone, I know waiting is so hard emotionally and physically but hang in there. Your time will come soon, God bless ...

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
If my work permit is still valid after receiving the copr while I am outside Canada, can I travel back to enter Canada using my work permit? As PRTD might take few weeks right?
If you are issued a COPR, i.e. without a PPR, effective that date you become a PR, and all existing visas and permits you have are cancelled since as PR you do not need visa to work or visit. You will not be able to travel on your WP, you will have to apply for a PRTD.

SGSN

Mar 3, 2021
1. Only the PA can apply for BOWP if you meet the following:
<https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html>
Who can apply for a BOWP
To be eligible, you must:

• live in Canada (Quebec not included)
  • have a valid work permit that expires in 4 months or less
  • be the principal applicant on your permanent residence application
  • have submitted a complete application for permanent residence and passed the completeness check
  • have your acknowledgement of receipt letter
    • we send this letter to your account after we get your permanent residence application

For dependents see <https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/provincial-nominees-permanent-resident-applicants/bridging-open-work-permits.html#spouse_or_common_law>

Spouse or common‑law partner and dependants
See Public policy, competitiveness and economy instructions for conditions that must be met by the holder of a BOWP for their spouse or common-law partner to also be eligible for an open work permit under subparagraph R205(c)(ii) as a spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker.

In all cases, the BOWP must be valid for longer than 6 months.

Dependent children of a permanent residence applicant in any of these economic classes must obtain an LMIA or have an LMIA exemption based on their specific situation to apply for a work permit.

s.simhad

Star Member
Apr 16, 2020
If you are issued a COPR, i.e. without a PPR, effective that date you become a PR, and all existing visas and permits you have are cancelled since as PR you do not need visa to work or visit. You will not be able to travel on your WP, you will have to apply for a PRTD.
@legalfalcon Awesome, thank you so much! One last question, how long does it take to get the PRTD? Or rather what's the processing time for PRTD?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016

Rgopal

Star Member
Sep 10, 2019
Hey Guys.... Finally, after ONE year of waiting got COPR today.
March 27 Aor
CEC + 1 depended (both Inland)
Everything was passed last June (except criminality)
Bio Given Oct 22, 2020
Our file was stuck in criminality under progress till this Monday.
Background passed on March 2nd, COPR Today.
Our Journey end today.. Good luck to everyone, I know waiting is so hard emotionally and physically but hang in there. Your time will come soon, God bless ...
Hi many congratulations.

Good Luck for the Journey ahead! I just wanted to ask if on the phone automated status it was still saying we're processing your background check till Monday? TIA :)

Blondebirdy

Oct 31, 2020
Just called ircc, may 15th aor
That update was a lie the call centre had no idea about any of it and said it’s false information. I’m still stuck at criminality in progress and security not started! I’m loosing hope...
She said I still have a long way to go although on gcms notes it said criminality passed awaiting biometrics ( which I competed 3rd December).
why are people From July getting it when may people are stuck in this loop.