+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MAY 2017 Citizenship Applicants

Spelling19

May 15, 2017
Thank God after waiting for almost 4 months after being DM and after filing a complaint to the Minister of Immigration in Ottawa, IRCC-Winnipeg sent an Oath Invitation in the mail and was received today. Actually, I was disappointed of how they process applications. The reason that I filed a complaint is that they prioritize applications submitted at a later date, whereas, the applications submitted earlier were left behind. I felt very unjust. Some of the applicants who submitted at a later date than mine already took the oath last Nov/Dec 2017 (last year). I felt something fishy about it and according to them they always process applications at a first come first serve basis but it wasn't followed in my case. I got good results from my complaint though. This journey is well over. Oath taking ceremony will be next month (February 2018).

My timeline: :)

Application submitted - May 1, 2017

Acknowledgement letter received by email - May 25, 2017

Application processed - June 5, 2017

Invitation for citizenship test received - September 2, 2017

Citizenship test (passed 20/20) - September 25, 2017

Decision Made - October 3, 2017

Requested for ATIP/Electronic Citizenship notes - November 22, 2017

ATIP/Electronic Citizenship notes received - December 20, 2017
(By Email) - Status passed and cleared (Knowledge,
Language, Criminality, Prohibition and Security)
(Citizenship granted but no Oath schedule yet)

Sent complaint letter to IRCC - Winnipeg - January 3, 2018

Sent complaint letter by mail - January 11, 2018
to Minister of Immigration in Ottawa

Filed complaint to IRCC Headquarters - January 19, 2018
(Sydney, Nova Scotia) via Webform

Application back to IN PROCESS - January 23, 2018

Application from IN PROCESS and back to DM - January 24, 2018

Oath letter sent via postal mail - January 24, 2018

Oath invitation received - January 26, 2018

Oath taking for Canadian citizenship ceremony - February 20, 2018

What a journey it has been !!!!!!! :)

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
Thank God after waiting for almost 4 months after being DM and after filing a complaint to the Minister of Immigration in Ottawa, IRCC-Winnipeg sent an Oath Invitation in the mail and was received today. Actually, I was disappointed of how they process applications. The reason that I filed a complaint is that they prioritize applications submitted at a later date, whereas, the applications submitted earlier were left behind. I felt very unjust. Some of the applicants who submitted at a later date than mine already took the oath last Nov/Dec 2017 (last year). I felt something fishy about it and according to them they always process applications at a first come first serve basis but it wasn't followed in my case. I got good results from my complaint though. This journey is well over. Oath taking ceremony will be next month (February 2018).

congratulations!

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
So, citizenship oath and ceremony was today at 10:30am.. mostly in the same room as the exam I detailed in October as well. This was at Harry Hays in Calgary, AB. Here is what I can best remember since I came home and took a fricken nap after all the running around, talking my voice out, etc. after the ceremony, meeting a lot of people.

- Parked in the Harry Hays underground parking, was $27 for day parking (a lot of cheaper options around the area)
- The elevator I parked by (F section in B level parking) was near the garage entrance, and when going up to the second floor exited right to the hall I needed to wait.
- Waited in an enormous line of people that spanned the entire hallway. Wife is 6 months pregnant and had to sit down somewhere, benches were only at the front of the area, we were at the middle of the line, so she sat on the floor against the wall. 6 year old daughter came as well and we were prepared having entertainment for her with headphones. There were well over 100 people that were there, if I remember the numbers correctly stated by the citizenship judge presiding, 91 new citizens from 26-28 countries.
- So waited in line since maybe 10am, afterwards, when allowed in, we walked to the entry way of the citizenship area that we took the exam for. In the hallway area, guests had to go to the left (where wife and daughter went, they are both born citizens), new citizens to the right. Everyone wound up in the same room, with several coordinators there, guests had either one spot purely on the right side (when facing the front, which would face where we all came from if you ignored the walls), or were able to sit on the left as well. Citizens were definitely in at minimum the middle two sections. The specific numbered seat I had was actually on the citizenship invitation letter. I feel left out in not knowing this prior - was not labeled. o_O
- The line probably took, from start to finish, over 30 mins to get moved from the hallway into the ceremony room to the new citizens assigned seats.
- While waiting in line after 10:30, the clerk who talked to everyone at the front of the ceremony room (later on) walked up and down the line making sure people talking to the citizenship judges (some might think of them as more like CSR for the IRCC but underestimate their say-so, they make crucial decisions - none of them were the presiding judge, so judge in differing contexts) had their invitation letters and, to my surprise, the media consent forms. I had mistakenly thought they were specifically related to families and consent for minor children who were applying as well. Didn't realize we have to fill them out to attend. They also wanted me to list my daughter even though my application was only for me, my daughter is a born Canadian citizen, to reiterate.
- A key surprise about this.. they never looked at my original COPR from the day I landed as a PR. I had to ask the judges if they want it. They never looked at any original documents they wanted me to bring -- such as my HS diploma and management degrees (for proof of English language) from the US. In fact, one of them told me specifically to keep it forever, "in case". Wasn't in an argumentative mood even though I was thinking "in case what?". They collected my PR card (thank god, ugliest photo ever) and noted on my citizenship invitation where my seat number was located.
- When everyone was seated the clerk that was roaming the halls helpfully having people fill out their media consent forms detailed for everyone the agenda for the ceremony. Was rather brief, but some important details on whats going on, what to do, what not to do (e.g. guests were not to allow kids to be noisy or disruptive, and of course what to do in the event of emergency.
- Everyone stood, the presiding judge entered, along with a member of the RCMP.
- The judge started, opening with a light joke about a few unhappy babies in the room crying loudly, then went on to speak about the concept of being a citizen, the responsibilities, etc. I agreed almost with everything the presiding judge said, except the part of being "new people". Took maybe 10-20 mins. Then we stood up, the oath was administered by the presiding judge, and they literally had some of the citizenship judges we were in line to see at the start walking up and down the aisles of the ceremony room to make sure people were saying the oath. Even the presiding judge himself was jumping around up front looking at people all over the room to ensure they were saying the oath (he clearly had the oath memorized).
- Then one by one people were called up (looks like in order of seating number) to receive their citizenship certificate, along with a Canada lapel pin, signing some forms for the clerk, shaking hands with the judge (and respectfully addressing him), who asked me a lot about California, and shaking hands with the RCMP officer, thanking him for his service.
- When I sat down and looked at my citizenship certificate, it had a picture. I wasn't sure if this could be used for passport, but after asking clerk, was reminded that he wasn't sure but passport is two photos and there looked like only one along with the certificate (and couldn't be sure it conformed to the necessary specs of Canadian passports). So basically, do new photos.
- Then we all sang O'Canada, a version I had never known or heard, so I just did the one I already had memorized myself since the year I landed as a PR.
- Then the judge announced us all citizens, everyone cheered and applauded loudly.
- When everyone was done, the clerk reminded us the earliest we can apply for passport is next Wednesday (2 business days), then concluded the ceremony, half the citizens filed out, the other half stayed to get pictures with the presiding judge and RCMP officer. Taking pictures with them, they both wanted to know more about the part of California I'm from (northern central valley, and the Bay Area). As usual with my experience, the overwhelming majority of people only know about Southern Cal (like Los Angeles).. still surprises me even though it shouldn't by now.
- Then we left the way we came in.

Overall, I'm just glad this process is over. I was just burned out from paperwork and the stress of the application processes.

Thanks to everyone for their help and information they used. It was vital in helping with the application process, especially the exam (people on the forums finding reputable practice exams - given the way I learn, I couldn't have simply read Discover Canada and passed the exam), and alleviating the trial-and-error concept and helping prevent me from doing dumb things. Hoping my stories help as a way of paying it forward. I will put them in my sig if it allows me the room to do so.

I might come and post about the post-citizenship passport process, as I plan on applying between Wed/Fri of next week. Beyond that, might post every now and then, or might not be.. if I do go, thank you and goodbye everyone and thank you again!

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
For referencing purposes here are all my immigration timelines:

PR Application (Outland / Buffalo, NY, USA)
App sent: May 27 2011
App received: May 30

AOR: July 5
File Transfer: July 5
In Process: July 14
Buffalo received: July 15
PPR: Oct 6
VISA Issued: Oct 20
Landing: Oct 20 2011
Landed with PR @ Queenston-Lewiston ground POE October 20 2011

Citizenship Application (2032/1460 days)
Local office: Harry Hays, Calgary, AB
App sent: May 21 2017
App received: May 25
CPC-Sidney sent back packet (incomplete-forgot to sign residency calculator page): June 13
Received packet back: June 21
Mailed packet again: June 21
App re-received: June 26
AOR: July 31
In Process: Aug 14
Test Invite: Aug 24
Test Date: Oct 17
Test Result: 19/20
Decision Made: Oct 26
Oath/Ceremony Invite: Dec 27

Oath/Ceremony Date: Jan 26 2018
Officially Canadian citizen post-oath/ceremony w/citizenship certificate in hand as of Jan 26 2018

Classical_beat

Champion Member
Oct 12, 2010
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Congrats! :)

So, citizenship oath and ceremony was today at 10:30am.. mostly in the same room as the exam I detailed in October as well. This was at Harry Hays in Calgary, AB. Here is what I can best remember since I came home and took a fricken nap after all the running around, talking my voice out, etc. after the ceremony, meeting a lot of people.

- Parked in the Harry Hays underground parking, was $27 for day parking (a lot of cheaper options around the area)
- The elevator I parked by (F section in B level parking) was near the garage entrance, and when going up to the second floor exited right to the hall I needed to wait.
- Waited in an enormous line of people that spanned the entire hallway. Wife is 6 months pregnant and had to sit down somewhere, benches were only at the front of the area, we were at the middle of the line, so she sat on the floor against the wall. 6 year old daughter came as well and we were prepared having entertainment for her with headphones. There were well over 100 people that were there, if I remember the numbers correctly stated by the citizenship judge presiding, 91 new citizens from 26-28 countries.
- So waited in line since maybe 10am, afterwards, when allowed in, we walked to the entry way of the citizenship area that we took the exam for. In the hallway area, guests had to go to the left (where wife and daughter went, they are both born citizens), new citizens to the right. Everyone wound up in the same room, with several coordinators there, guests had either one spot purely on the right side (when facing the front, which would face where we all came from if you ignored the walls), or were able to sit on the left as well. Citizens were definitely in at minimum the middle two sections. The specific numbered seat I had was actually on the citizenship invitation letter. I feel left out in not knowing this prior - was not labeled. o_O
- The line probably took, from start to finish, over 30 mins to get moved from the hallway into the ceremony room to the new citizens assigned seats.
- While waiting in line after 10:30, the clerk who talked to everyone at the front of the ceremony room (later on) walked up and down the line making sure people talking to the citizenship judges (some might think of them as more like CSR for the IRCC but underestimate their say-so, they make crucial decisions - none of them were the presiding judge, so judge in differing contexts) had their invitation letters and, to my surprise, the media consent forms. I had mistakenly thought they were specifically related to families and consent for minor children who were applying as well. Didn't realize we have to fill them out to attend. They also wanted me to list my daughter even though my application was only for me, my daughter is a born Canadian citizen, to reiterate.
- A key surprise about this.. they never looked at my original COPR from the day I landed as a PR. I had to ask the judges if they want it. They never looked at any original documents they wanted me to bring -- such as my HS diploma and management degrees (for proof of English language) from the US. In fact, one of them told me specifically to keep it forever, "in case". Wasn't in an argumentative mood even though I was thinking "in case what?". They collected my PR card (thank god, ugliest photo ever) and noted on my citizenship invitation where my seat number was located.
- When everyone was seated the clerk that was roaming the halls helpfully having people fill out their media consent forms detailed for everyone the agenda for the ceremony. Was rather brief, but some important details on whats going on, what to do, what not to do (e.g. guests were not to allow kids to be noisy or disruptive, and of course what to do in the event of emergency.
- Everyone stood, the presiding judge entered, along with a member of the RCMP.
- The judge started, opening with a light joke about a few unhappy babies in the room crying loudly, then went on to speak about the concept of being a citizen, the responsibilities, etc. I agreed almost with everything the presiding judge said, except the part of being "new people". Took maybe 10-20 mins. Then we stood up, the oath was administered by the presiding judge, and they literally had some of the citizenship judges we were in line to see at the start walking up and down the aisles of the ceremony room to make sure people were saying the oath. Even the presiding judge himself was jumping around up front looking at people all over the room to ensure they were saying the oath (he clearly had the oath memorized).
- Then one by one people were called up (looks like in order of seating number) to receive their citizenship certificate, along with a Canada lapel pin, signing some forms for the clerk, shaking hands with the judge (and respectfully addressing him), who asked me a lot about California, and shaking hands with the RCMP officer, thanking him for his service.
- When I sat down and looked at my citizenship certificate, it had a picture. I wasn't sure if this could be used for passport, but after asking clerk, was reminded that he wasn't sure but passport is two photos and there looked like only one along with the certificate (and couldn't be sure it conformed to the necessary specs of Canadian passports). So basically, do new photos.
- Then we all sang O'Canada, a version I had never known or heard, so I just did the one I already had memorized myself since the year I landed as a PR.
- Then the judge announced us all citizens, everyone cheered and applauded loudly.
- When everyone was done, the clerk reminded us the earliest we can apply for passport is next Wednesday (2 business days), then concluded the ceremony, half the citizens filed out, the other half stayed to get pictures with the presiding judge and RCMP officer. Taking pictures with them, they both wanted to know more about the part of California I'm from (northern central valley, and the Bay Area). As usual with my experience, the overwhelming majority of people only know about Southern Cal (like Los Angeles).. still surprises me even though it shouldn't by now.
- Then we left the way we came in.

Overall, I'm just glad this process is over. I was just burned out from paperwork and the stress of the application processes.

Thanks to everyone for their help and information they used. It was vital in helping with the application process, especially the exam (people on the forums finding reputable practice exams - given the way I learn, I couldn't have simply read Discover Canada and passed the exam), and alleviating the trial-and-error concept and helping prevent me from doing dumb things. Hoping my stories help as a way of paying it forward. I will put them in my sig if it allows me the room to do so.

I might come and post about the post-citizenship passport process, as I plan on applying between Wed/Fri of next week. Beyond that, might post every now and then, or might not be.. if I do go, thank you and goodbye everyone and thank you again!
Congrats! :)

nash_avatar

Star Member
Jul 8, 2011
Brampton , Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo , USA
App. Filed.......
23 Nov 2011
Passport Req..
12/12/12
VISA ISSUED...
19/12/2012
LANDED..........
09-02-2013
I applied for passport this week. Did of May applicant have applied passport this week ? I just went directly to passport office and it was really quick.It cost me 160$ for ten years, no extra fee or anything. The passport will be mailed via register mail with in ten days.

Reactions: Kan_Sri

ajoketide

Nov 1, 2017
Hello everyone, I need an urgent advice on what step to take as the whole family is in confusion state. We applied for our citizenship in May 2017 and got invited for the test in 20/01/2018 and myself, hubby and our 18yrs old son all passed the test. Unfortunately, my 18yrs old son got FP request and we were surprised why will it be the only one to get the FP request. After several interrogation and questions, he reluctantly opened up to us that sometimes in August 2017 after we have submitted our application he was involved in a shoplifting charge. He said he went shopping and mistakenly forget to drop socks worth of $6 and the alarmed triggered and he was charged with shoplifting. He said the police was called and he was charged to the court which he appeared and got fingerprinted and according to him he said the charge was withdrawn that same day after he was made to pay a fine through diversion and giving a peace bond of one year. Now the issue is that on our test day we signed a form that asked we have been involved or convicted of any offence and he answered no and signed the form.
Please, I need advise on how to handle his case, we are thinking of going ahead to have the FP done and write a letter to immigration that the charges were withdrawn and that was why he did not answer yes to any of the offences in the form.

help with your advice, I know my story is long and pathetic but we need to help him

nash_avatar

Star Member
Jul 8, 2011
Brampton , Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo , USA
App. Filed.......
23 Nov 2011
Passport Req..
12/12/12
VISA ISSUED...
19/12/2012
LANDED..........
09-02-2013
Hello everyone, I need an urgent advice on what step to take as the whole family is in confusion state. We applied for our citizenship in May 2017 and got invited for the test in 20/01/2018 and myself, hubby and our 18yrs old son all passed the test. Unfortunately, my 18yrs old son got FP request and we were surprised why will it be the only one to get the FP request. After several interrogation and questions, he reluctantly opened up to us that sometimes in August 2017 after we have submitted our application he was involved in a shoplifting charge. He said he went shopping and mistakenly forget to drop socks worth of $6 and the alarmed triggered and he was charged with shoplifting. He said the police was called and he was charged to the court which he appeared and got fingerprinted and according to him he said the charge was withdrawn that same day after he was made to pay a fine through diversion and giving a peace bond of one year. Now the issue is that on our test day we signed a form that asked we have been involved or convicted of any offence and he answered no and signed the form.
Please, I need advise on how to handle his case, we are thinking of going ahead to have the FP done and write a letter to immigration that the charges were withdrawn and that was why he did not answer yes to any of the offences in the form.

help with your advice, I know my story is long and pathetic but we need to help him
Your case is not something happens to everybody. It is highly unlikely you will get a good answer from here. The better thing you should do is to hire immigration lawyer and ask him about the issue.
good luck.

rosty2

Jul 5, 2012
Scarborough
Category........
Visa Office......
CCP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 8th 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
Oct 25th
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
March 2nd 2013
Med's Done....
March 4th 2013
Passport Req..
April 4th 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 17th 2013
LANDED..........
April 21st 2013

There is nothing to worry about. Simply go do his fingerprints. Reasons to ask fingerprints could be also if he has a similiar name of a bad person thats it. If the shoplipthing incident was settled in court and withdrawn I don't think it went through any crininal database record.

Notestforme

Jan 26, 2018

Hi, congratulations for getting your Oath!
I am wondering if you can post her the address for complaints to Minister of Immigration in Ottawa and the best way to fill this complaint. I have really good reason to complain- in process from April with no test invite even.
Thanks

Kan_Sri

Champion Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
Mar 05-2014

@dpenabill - tagging - can you plz advice?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

@dpenabill - tagging - can you plz advice?
I am NOT an expert. I am NOT qualified to give personal advice (for multiple, real reasons).

I can offer some observations, but as @nash_avatar has observed, this is largely outside the scope of this forum.

However, while I cannot say "there is nothing to worry about" (although that may be true, it might not be), at the least @rosty2's suggestion to "go do his fingerprints" is a prudent thing to do.

Overall, for your son, for anyone in a situation like this: Forget the shame. Deal with these things straight up.

Do not hide from this or run from it or try withdrawing the citizenship application.

If the charge was in fact withdrawn the day this happened, odds are good this is nothing to worry about, not much anyway (could cause some delay in processing time but not be a problem otherwise).

BUT frankly there are some wrinkles in the story which suggest it might be best to at least obtain a consultation with a good, reputable lawyer. A lawyer for your son. Not you. And allow your son to meet with the lawyer privately, so he can be fully open and candid, and so he can rely on lawyer-client confidentiality.

This scenario is very similar to one I responded to via PM just within the last couple days. It is so similar that notwithstanding some differences in detail (April versus May application dates for example) I'm guessing they are about the same individual and events.

As observed above, appropriately respond to the request for Finger Prints by providing those forthwith.

Again, as also noted above, if the charge was indeed withdrawn, there really should be no problem, especially if that did indeed happen the same day.

That said, it is very likely something about this event triggered the Finger Print request. Moreover, as also already noted, there are some wrinkles in the story which, frankly, hint there may be more to it. (What retailer attaches theft-protection tags, which is what triggers an alarm, to a package of six dollar socks? Among other hints the story may have some other stray threads to unravel, so to say.)

At the least, there is a risk the charge was not withdrawn but rather deferred or suspended and WILL BE withdrawn when the terms of the diversion or peace bond are fully satisfied, which could involve a period of time. That is, there is a risk the charge is technically still pending.

The temptation is to get into the weeds, to discuss risks and contingencies and various what-if scenarios. Ultimately, if the reality is close to the story, the risks should be minimal, and even otherwise (but assuming the only criminal charge is minor retail theft) the worse-case risk is misrepresentation. So long as the reality is not too far off the story, the risk of a misrepresentation allegation seems low. Even if technically there was a misrepresentation, for example, but the charges have been withdrawn or will be withdrawn, no conviction, there is a good chance it will be OK. IRCC is actually fairly forgiving about these things. To some extent.

But if there is a chance the story and the reality diverge in some important respects, your son should at least consult with a lawyer. That needs to be an individual (parent-free) consultation, paid-for (so a real lawyer-client relationship is established, and because at the very best one gets what they pay for from lawyers, often less, meaning a free consultation is worth no more than what you pay for it, nothing) , so your son can trust and rely on lawyer-client confidentiality.

Bottom line, however, and hopefully your son get this, is that the best outcome, whatever the situation, will be to deal with it straight up, to respond to IRCC's requests. To honestly answer any questions if questions are asked. Do not run or hide from this. Forget the shame and deal with it, however it goes. That's the best way forward.

Reactions: Kan_Sri

Cesare

Jan 17, 2018
I think I might be the only person who applied in May who still doesn't have their test invite. When I call CIC, they just tell me that there isn't a problem and that I should wait. Meanwhile, everyone in this forum and everyone I know personally who applied at the same time have had their oath ceremony.

It is so unfair that they make you wait with no explanation whatsoever. The Scarborough office is terrible.

tonymiz

Star Member
Jul 2, 2016
I think I might be the only person who applied in May who still doesn't have their test invite. When I call CIC, they just tell me that there isn't a problem and that I should wait. Meanwhile, everyone in this forum and everyone I know personally who applied at the same time have had their oath ceremony.

It is so unfair that they make you wait with no explanation whatsoever. The Scarborough office is terrible.
Hi, My wife is still waiting for her test invite as well and she applied on May 15. She called cic and they said exactly the same thing... I am not sure what is causing this delay!!

Last edited:

Tgum23

Star Member
May 10, 2017
Hey everyone

I got my oath ddon today It went very well and finafin a Canadian citizen
It was great following everyone here I got a good idea about timeltime and stuff.
All the best to everyone with their applapplicatia and to all the new Canadians, all the best in the new journey ahead.
Best Regards

Ps- please update the spreadsheet