+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

maximum cash allowed into canada for a 4 member family

Feredanag

Dec 19, 2012
I have a four member family, me, my husband and my children who are a 6 year daugther and a 3 year son. we are intending to immigrate to Canada within 3 months under the FSW program and I have told we can take a maximum of 10000 canadian dollars without declaration.
I was wondering if such amount of money is allowed for each of us and we can take a maximum of $ 40,000 cad overally. And what will happen if we bring more than allowed cash? Do we have to just fill out a form to declare it?
I will be grateful if someone can give me more information.

MASunny

Apr 20, 2012
As much as you can take however you have to declare above $10K at the time of entry.

Feredanag said:
I have a four member family, me, my husband and my children who are a 6 year daugther and a 3 year son. we are intending to immigrate to Canada within 3 months under the FSW program and I have told we can take a maximum of 10000 canadian dollars without declaration.
I was wondering if such amount of money is allowed for each of us and we can take a maximum of $ 40,000 cad overally. And what will happen if we bring more than allowed cash? Do we have to just fill out a form to declare it?

Feredanag

Dec 19, 2012
Dear MAsunny
many thanks for your reply, but what wold happen for the money more than 10,000 cad when filling out the declaration form? do they keep the money?

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, they don't keep it. They only want to ensure no money laundering is going on. You can bring in as much as you want - there's no maximum.

Leo12

Oct 12, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear bro,
If I carry more then 10,000 on my second or third entry with the declaration, will they allow to enter along with those fund?

Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leo12 said:
Dear bro,
If I carry more then 10,000 on my second or third entry with the declaration, will they allow to enter along with those fund?

Thanks.
As explained earlier, you can carry as much money as you want at any time, as long as you declare that you are carrying over $10K. There are no taxes or duties on the money, but ensure that you declare it.

Leo12

Oct 12, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

As explained earlier, you can carry as much money as you want at any time, as long as you declare that you are carrying over $10K. There are no taxes or duties on the money, but ensure that you declare it.
Thanks a lot.

Mech_1983

May 25, 2014
Feredanag said:
Can you please tell if you declared more than 40K amount?
Also can I take 25K with me if I have family of 4. Me,my wife and 2 daughters who r 4 and 2 years old.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
Mech_1983 said:
Can you please tell if you declared more than 40K amount?
Also can I take 25K with me if I have family of 4. Me,my wife and 2 daughters who r 4 and 2 years old.
As explained 2.5 years ago.. you can take $1'000'000 but you have to declare it.

mehranov

Jun 14, 2017
My mom and dad are coming to visit us to Canada. they do not speak English so they do not want to declare the amount of money (because they cannot explain to the officer if they have to). I understand that you can bring as much as money you wish if you declare it. However, I want to know how much money they can bring combined without the need to declare. Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
My mom and dad are coming to visit us to Canada. they do not speak English so they do not want to declare the amount of money (because they cannot explain to the officer if they have to). I understand that you can bring as much as money you wish if you declare it. However, I want to know how much money they can bring combined without the need to declare. Thanks
It is clearly stated here that they do not need to declare anything as long as the sum total of all currencies (any currency not just dollars) in possession is less than 10000 CDN equivalent for each individual. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ttd-vdd-eng.html

If they individually have more than 10k CDN they must declare it else the whole amount could be seized. Unlikely to seize but there could be a fine it depends on the officer at the time.

Not being able to speak English would not be seen as an excuse.

mehranov

Jun 14, 2017
It is clearly stated here that they do not need to declare anything as long as the sum total of all currencies (any currency not just dollars) in possession is less than 10000 CDN equivalent for each individual. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ttd-vdd-eng.html

If they individually have more than 10k CDN they must declare it else the whole amount could be seized. Unlikely to seize but there could be a fine it depends on the officer at the time.

Not being able to speak English would not be seen as an excuse.
thank you for the fast reply. I already read that link, however the confusion arises because in the form http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e311-eng.pdf in the last question of PART "A" the question is "I am/WE ARE ..." and since they are 2 people they should consider that they are answering to the question which starts with "WE ARE". So my question is, if they are bringing 19,000 (9500 each) should they answer "Yes" or "NO" to the last question (because I think they are supposed to fill out one form and list 2 names on it)
thanks again

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thank you for the fast reply. I already read that link, however the confusion arises because in the form http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e311-eng.pdf in the last question of PART "A" the question is "I am/WE ARE ..." and since they are 2 people they should consider that they are answering to the question which starts with "WE ARE". So my question is, if they are bringing 19,000 (9500 each) should they answer "Yes" or "NO" to the last question (because I think they are supposed to fill out one form and list 2 names on it)
thanks again
Yes, if they traveled as a group. No, if traveled separately.

polinabelkina

May 11, 2018
Hii! we are a can. family of 3 (husband, wife and child) who were crossing into Canada by car, bringing with us just under 10k usd. we were asked at the booth how much money we had on us and my husband, who was behind the wheel, responded "just under 10k USD". The officer then asked if it was "for the whole car" to which we replied yes, meaning to say no one else in the car was in posession of any money. We were then asked to proceed to the next post for further questioning and eventually fined $2,500Can. Can you please explain to us what the fine was for? Were we supposed to have filled out any special form prior to presenting ourselves at the border for inspection? Or a verbal declaration is sufficient? Many thanks!!

NOMAD2017

Mar 9, 2017
Mississauga, Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
13-12-2018
Med's Done....
03-11-2019
Passport Req..
20-11-2019
VISA ISSUED...
07-12-2019
LANDED..........
01-10-2020
Hii! we are a can. family of 3 (husband, wife and child) who were crossing into Canada by car, bringing with us just under 10k usd. we were asked at the booth how much money we had on us and my husband, who was behind the wheel, responded "just under 10k USD". The officer then asked if it was "for the whole car" to which we replied yes, meaning to say no one else in the car was in posession of any money. We were then asked to proceed to the next post for further questioning and eventually fined $2,500Can. Can you please explain to us what the fine was for? Were we supposed to have filled out any special form prior to presenting ourselves at the border for inspection? Or a verbal declaration is sufficient? Many thanks!!
this is strange.. So what did you do?? did u pay the fine or challenged the decision ?