+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maternity Benefits

Kiikii

Jul 6, 2022
Hello,

I recently became PR under inland spousal sponsorship (my husbands canadian citizen) in september 2022. I have been working since and as of this week i complete 600+hrs of being employed. Iwasnt employed prior to September 2022, and we will be filing our taxes together as husband / wife in March this year. I am currently 3 months pregnant and plan to apply Materntiy leave benefits end of May, thats when i stop working, which is my 7th month.

Will i be eligble for mat and parental benefits. Also my employer doesnt give health insurance or mat leave pay :(

Thank you all. This forrum has helped me throughout my PR journey and we were blessed in many ways.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

I recently became PR under inland spousal sponsorship (my husbands canadian citizen) in september 2022. I have been working since and as of this week i complete 600+hrs of being employed. Iwasnt employed prior to September 2022, and we will be filing our taxes together as husband / wife in March this year. I am currently 3 months pregnant and plan to apply Materntiy leave benefits end of May, thats when i stop working, which is my 7th month.

Will i be eligble for mat and parental benefits. Also my employer doesnt give health insurance or mat leave pay :(

Thank you all. This forrum has helped me throughout my PR journey and we were blessed in many ways.
If you meet eligibility requirements then you are eligible. Remember the benefits are taxable so not that much per week if your employer is not topping up your payment to 100%.

Kiikii

Jul 6, 2022
If you meet eligibility requirements then you are eligible. Remember the benefits are taxable so not that much per week if your employer is not topping up your payment to 100%.
They are paying into EI and CPP i see that on my Paystubs and will get a T4 in few days.

Kiikii

Jul 6, 2022
Whta do you mean my topping up? can you elaborate

thanks so much for replying

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Whta do you mean my topping up? can you elaborate

thanks so much for replying
You said your employer doesn’t provide maternity benefits, so you are just receiving the EI amount. Some employers provide maternity benefits to top up your salary to 100%. You are then obligated to return to that employer or give the money back if you don’t.

Reactions: Kiikii

Kiikii

Jul 6, 2022
You said your employer doesn’t provide maternity benefits, so you are just receiving the EI amount. Some employers provide maternity benefits to top up your salary to 100%. You are then obligated to return to that employer or give the money back if you don’t.
Gotcha i doubt that. However do i qualify other wife i would have worked 1200+ hours by the time i start maternity leave

Kiikii

Jul 6, 2022
What is “other wife”? Do you mean parental leave? Again check eligibility requirements.
woops i mean otherwise lmao yes i mean do i meet both maternity and parental benefits. Seemingly i do meet but i just though i can explore people's experiences so i get some hope.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
woops i mean otherwise lmao yes i mean do i meet both maternity and parental benefits. Seemingly i do meet but i just though i can explore people's experiences so i get some hope.
You can apply for both. Calculate how much you will get and then determine your household budget. Again depending on your present income, your benefits will be a percentage of that income and it is taxed. For my first child, I took one year leave with employer paying into benefits for 100% of my salary. I did not return (did not plan to) and paid by the money owned. For second child, husband took 2 months parental leave and returned to work because he made so much more.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
You want to set aside extra money from those EI payments to cover your taxes when you file . I’ve taken EI a couple of times ; regular and compassionate. So have friends . In each case the amount of federal tax deducted is not enough and you’ll have to pay the he difference when filing your personal income tax return

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Very few get topped up especially for the full 12 months. Tends to be those already making a good income that get topped up. In general people should be saving to go onto maternity leave because the payments are not a lot and your expenses rise significantly.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Would suggest you start looking at daycare as soon as your baby is born if you plan on returning to work. In many regions you need to start putting your name down for a spot even before you give birth depending on when you plan on going back to work.

Kiikii

Jul 6, 2022
Would suggest you start looking at daycare as soon as your baby is born if you plan on returning to work. In many regions you need to start putting your name down for a spot even before you give birth depending on when you plan on going back to work.
We have absolutely saved up and continue to save max of our earnings, my husband will continue to work full time. And i am pushing to work till my 7 or maybe 8th month fingers crossed. Its my first baby so i will look into daycare likely sometime next year once he/she is turns a year old :( jsut the thought of putting my child in someone elses hands is so scary. I hope i gain that strenght and will go onto the register of licensed day care center.

Thank you guys for replying me.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
We have absolutely saved up and continue to save max of our earnings, my husband will continue to work full time. And i am pushing to work till my 7 or maybe 8th month fingers crossed. Its my first baby so i will look into daycare likely sometime next year once he/she is turns a year old :( jsut the thought of putting my child in someone elses hands is so scary. I hope i gain that strenght and will go onto the register of licensed day care center.

You may want to look into daycare sooner rather than later. Don’t wait a year because waiting lists can be long. Some people get on lists before birth of a child.

Reactions: Kiikii and canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

You should start investigating daycares around a year before you need a spot. Many areas have long waiting lists for the best and most affordable daycare/preschool providers.