+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Masters after getting PR Card

ts1234

Aug 1, 2017
Hi all,

I have recently submitted my ITA documents and I was wondering, after getting the PR card, when I apply to Canadian universities for masters programs, will I be considered a local or still an international student?

fatani

Nov 15, 2015
Hi all,

I have recently submitted my ITA documents and I was wondering, after getting the PR card, when I apply to Canadian universities for masters programs, will I be considered a local or still an international student?
Local

sunnyvin

Nov 29, 2014
Hi all,

local. ..

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Hi all,

Actually, I think it depends. I visited Ryerson earlier this year and was advised that I would only be considered for the local tuition (vs. International) after being a PR for 1 year...

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
Actually, I think it depends. I visited Ryerson earlier this year and was advised that I would only be considered for the local tuition (vs. International) after being a PR for 1 year...
From a friend of mine who works for a Canadian university in their international recruitment department: As soon as you are approved for PR, you are considered domestic. No waiting period. I cant say for certain but if anyone WASN'T doing that you would certainly have grounds to complain and cite other university's policy.

Reactions: tarikul.2811

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
From a friend of mine who works for a Canadian university in their international recruitment department: As soon as you are approved for PR, you are considered domestic. No waiting period. I cant say for certain but if anyone WASN'T doing that you would certainly have grounds to complain and cite other university's policy.
Hmmm...that's interesting...I wonder if I should or shouldn't advise my contact at Ryerson about that...

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
Hmmm...that's interesting...I wonder if I should or shouldn't advise my contact at Ryerson about that...
To be frank, I think your contact is wrong.

http://www.ryerson.ca/registrar/fees/detail/graduate/ clearly says "Full-time Programs Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents"
No where does it say a stipulation about having to be a PR for a year.

Also this: http://www.ryerson.ca/studentlife/internationalsupport//services/financialassistance/feeexemption/

Tuition Fee Categories:
  1. Regular Fee Rate for students who are Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents or exempted by Government regulation from the International Fee Rate. (Also referred to as the Domestic Rate)
  2. International Fee Rate for students on Study Permits, Visitor Visas, Other Visas or who have not provided documentary proof of exemption status.

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018

http://www.ryerson.ca/registrar/fees/detail/graduate/ clearly says "Full-time Programs Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents"

Also this: http://www.ryerson.ca/studentlife/internationalsupport//services/financialassistance/feeexemption/

Tuition Fee Categories:
  1. Regular Fee Rate for students who are Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents or exempted by Government regulation from the International Fee Rate. (Also referred to as the Domestic Rate)
  2. International Fee Rate for students on Study Permits, Visitor Visas, Other Visas or who have not provided documentary proof of exemption status.
The contact was a representative from the Admission's Office, so maybe I SHOULD reach out to him, just to help him get his facts straight before he tells anyone else this and jeopardizes his job...

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
The contact was a representative from the Admission's Office, so maybe I SHOULD reach out to him, just to help him get his facts straight before he tells anyone else this and jeopardizes his job...
It couldn't hurt. I'm still talking to my friend about it and she thinks that putting that restriction on individuals with PR status might actually be venturing towards illegal on the grounds of discrimination.

ts1234

Aug 1, 2017

Tuition Fee Categories:
Thanks! This really helps as I am considering to apply to Ryerson!

Reactions: mgnlky

tarikul.2811

Sep 30, 2021
Can you enlighten me about the process of university admission after getting PR??? I mean how my admission is going to be different from an international graduate other than the admission fee?

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
Can you enlighten me about the process of university admission after getting PR??? I mean how my admission is going to be different from an international graduate other than the admission fee?
Generally speaking, you're considered a domestic student in terms of tuition and fees. This is usually a lot cheaper than International rates.