+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marrying Permanent Resident after arriving in Canada as International student

karimiz

Jan 6, 2009
Hi,
I have a girl friend in Canada who i plan to marry soon after i come to Canada as an international student for the first time. My questions are:

1. Can i marry her immediately (in 1-2 weeks) just after arriving to Canada on student visa. Will this raise any issues later of not fully disclosing my intent to come to Canada.

2. Because the tuition fees is very high, i don't plan to be enrolled in School to complete the program and plan to drop off the university once my spouse sponsors for my PR. Will this cause issue later during the PR approval process. The only reason i applied for Student visa is because i want to apply as inland within Canada and getting visitor visa is very tough from my home country (student visas are relatively easier). I cannot really want to study in Canada and just want to enter Canada as a student and then drop off during the first semester (after my spouse sponsors me inland).

I know my intentions seem wrong but i am left with no choice as:
1. I don't want to be separated long from my girl friend/spouse to-be (if she sponsors me when before i come to Canada, there is 2+ years backlog from my home country)
2. The chances of me getting a visitor visa are very slim from my home country
3. I cannot afford pay full tuition fees to complete the program (i already have degree from my home country) and such wont be able to maintain student visa for throughout the program

Greatly Appreciate your help and advise

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I became a landed Canadian immigrant in July 2007. After getting my PR i returned to the US for work. I then got married in my home country (Pakistan) in Dec 2007 and i am currently in US.

All this time i forgot to update CIC that i got married. Now i and my wife are planning to settle in Canada. My questions are:

1. Is there a problem for for one year i have not updated my maritial status.

2. How can i update the status while in the USA?

3. What is the best way of applying my wife's immigration. Can i do it while sitting in the USA OR do i need to apply for her Canadaian visit visa then go there and apply from Canada?
Seems you are or were a PR at one time......what happened to that?

karimiz

Jan 6, 2009
Apologies, i am using my friends account so those were his details.

I my self am not a PR of Canada

danawhitaker

Aug 4, 2016
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
22-07-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
karimiz said:
Hi,
I have a girl friend in Canada who i plan to marry soon after i come to Canada as an international student for the first time. My questions are:

1. Can i marry her immediately (in 1-2 weeks) just after arriving to Canada on student visa. Will this raise any issues later of not fully disclosing my intent to come to Canada.

2. Because the tuition fees is very high, i don't plan to be enrolled in School to complete the program and plan to drop off the university once my spouse sponsors for my PR. Will this cause issue later during the PR approval process. The only reason i applied for Student visa is because i want to apply as inland within Canada and getting visitor visa is very tough from my home country (student visas are relatively easier). I cannot really want to study in Canada and just want to enter Canada as a student and then drop off during the first semester (after my spouse sponsors me inland).

1. I don't want to be separated long from my girl friend/spouse to-be (if she sponsors me when before i come to Canada, there is 2+ years backlog from my home country)
3. I cannot afford pay full tuition fees to complete the program (i already have degree from my home country) and such wont be able to maintain student visa for throughout the program

Many of us don't want to be separated from our spouses, but we have to be, and are going through the proper channels to be with them as quickly as we can. Coming to the country under the pretense of studying with no intention of doing so just so you can be with your significant other is not right. I cannot think of anything else to say.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
So you are intentionally misrepresenting yourself in order to achieve status! I'm sure the people at immigration have seem all these efforts to circumvent the system before and will probably see through your case as well. If I am not mistaken, on a student visa you need to be enrolled in classes and once you drop out, you will be asked to leave. Unless you receive sponsor approval (eligibility assessment is currently 16 months), you will probably be out of status before it reaches that point and ineligible for an inland application (someone with more experience can confirm or deny this). Even if you aren't, with a quick marriage after arrival and dropping out of school, I'm sure IRCC will take a very close look at your application.

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
Just my opinion on this but I don't think you'll find too many people on this forum who would advise or assist with someone who is quite clearly trying to cheat the system.

As another poster pointed out, there are a huge amount of people in a similar situation all of whom are going about immigrating in a legitimate way.

I would firstly create yourself a profile here so that your 'friend' isn't accused of being the one trying to pull tricks, and secondly I'd say immigration will see through your proposal in about 10 seconds.

Why not stick to doing it properly?

karimiz

Jan 6, 2009
Yes, i can see now that i should do it properly. What is the best suggested way to do it inland. Through a visit visa come here first and then apply for inland sponsorship. Is that the proper way to apply inland?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Once you are in Canada, you can marry her and then she can sponsor you inland. You can come on a visitor visa, but to get one you will need to prove ties to your homeland. You can also enter on a student visa. If you have the student visa already, it would be simpler just to use that. However, if you really cannot afford the tuition, I guess you would have to try for a visitor visa.

If you do enter on your student visa, I would not marry very quickly and then drop out of school. This looks suspicious. If you enter on a visitor visa, then marrying shortly after arriving would be fine.

olgrime

Star Member
Dec 27, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20/05/2016
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
07/06/2016 (AOR2 02-08-2016)
File Transfer...
19/07/2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
01/11/2016
VISA ISSUED...
27/11/2016
LANDED..........
04/12/2016
to be honest that may be a huge redflag, you might even lose your visa for dropping out of ur program. Why doesn't your girlfriend come and marry you?

123dan

Jun 10, 2019
What happened to your case and did you get the PR
Hi,