+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Married to Canadian Citizen with criminal record

Avamat

Nov 26, 2019
I’d like to know what options I have in order to immigrate to Canada.
Currently 4 months pregnant and wish to deliver baby in Canada
Married for 1 year and half to Canadian citizen
(Been together for 3 years, met in Canada and got married overseas, we’ve been living overseas for 2 years)
Husband has criminal record (violent charges which I believe from what I read on cic they’re not applicable for pardon)

thank you!
( Interested in feedback only in Options I have to apply for PR not anything else)

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Do you have TRV to go to Canada? Or do you hold a visa exempt passport?

If you can enter Canada, and you are expecting a baby in 3 - 5 months, there is no immigration route to get your to a PR status to give birth to a baby with any health coverage in Canada. (even if your husband can sponsor you)

None of the route will be this fast. For violent charges, I think it depends on what exactly was the charge. You may consult an immigration lawyer. But no way to come and deliver baby with PR status so soon. (most pregnant women may not want to go through X-ray but some are OK to do it at a later stage of their pregnancy. This is part of medical exam that all PR applicants have to go through before approval.)

Avamat

Nov 26, 2019
Thanks for the reply. I currently hold a valid ETA. I have been back and forth to visit family that lives there. uncle, aunt cousin are citizens. Grandmother is permanent resident.

I am aware process is not fast and I will have to cover expenses for delivery as a visitor, I can afford it, that is not a problem.

His charges include robbery and manslaughter.
My question is, what options do I have to apply for PR with him having those charges and after the baby is born in Canada?

Avamat

Nov 26, 2019
Thanks for the reply. I currently hold a valid ETA. I have been back and forth to visit family that lives there. uncle, aunt cousin are citizens. Grandmother is permanent resident.

I am aware process is not fast and I will have to cover expenses for delivery as a visitor, I can afford it, that is not a problem.

My question is, what options do I have to apply for PR with him having those charges and after the baby is born in Canada?
Do you have TRV to go to Canada? Or do you hold a visa exempt passport?

If you can enter Canada, and you are expecting a baby in 3 - 5 months, there is no immigration route to get your to a PR status to give birth to a baby with any health coverage in Canada. (even if your husband can sponsor you)

None of the route will be this fast. For violent charges, I think it depends on what exactly was the charge. You may consult an immigration lawyer. But no way to come and deliver baby with PR status so soon. (most pregnant women may not want to go through X-ray but some are OK to do it at a later stage of their pregnancy. This is part of medical exam that all PR applicants have to go through before approval.)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Could you afford to pay a million dollar bill if there were complications? It is not advisable to give birth in Canada without medical coverage.

If he wants to sponsor you, he needs a record suspension.

Avamat

Nov 26, 2019
We have been advised that if there are medical complications the maximum cost is around 30,000cad. I have considered for my medical bill 50,000usd. And if there’s a need to pay more, I have no problem to throw in another 30,000usd. Money is not a concern for us.

My question is what options I have to apply for PR. Either through him sponsoring me or if there are any other options

also. We cannot apply for a record suspension since it hasn’t been more than 10 years since his offence and served prison time
And won’t be able to apply for the next 4 years

Could you afford to pay a million dollar bill if there were complications? It is not advisable to give birth in Canada without medical coverage.

If he wants to sponsor you, he needs a record suspension.

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
We have been advised that if there are medical complications the maximum cost is around 30,000cad. I have considered for my medical bill 50,000usd. And if there’s a need to pay more, I have no problem to throw in another 30,000usd. Money is not a concern for us.

My question is what options I have to apply for PR. Either through him sponsoring me or if there are any other options

also. We cannot apply for a record suspension since it hasn’t been more than 10 years since his offence and served prison time
And won’t be able to apply for the next 4 years
Suggest you do more research. There’s no maximum or cap for a pregnancy with complications, or for any medical conditions.
If you’re a multi millionaire, thoughts & prayers

Avamat

Nov 26, 2019
Thanks for the reply! Like I said, not concerned about financial, we are covered.

If you have any comments on options I have to apply for PR they’ll be very much appreciated.

Suggest you do more research. There’s no maximum or cap for a pregnancy with complications, or for any medical conditions.
If you’re a multi millionaire, thoughts & prayers

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the reply! Like I said, not concerned about financial, we are covered.

If you have any comments on options I have to apply for PR they’ll be very much appreciated.
Easiest option would be for you to qualify on your own through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry based on your level of education, skilled work experience and other factors. If you want to go the route of being sponsored by your partner, then you want to be working with an excellent immigration lawyer. This is not a do it yourself case due to your husband’s criminal convictions. You’ll want to find out if sponsoring is even possible before you submit anything.

There are no sponsorship options through your relatives in Canada.

Reactions: Avamat