+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Married to a Canadian, PR expires June 2013, living outside Canada

Seemal

Nov 22, 2012
Hi,
I have a few questions regarding my status:

1) I am moving to Canada in June a few weeks before my PR card expires and would like to know whether I should be renewing it through my relatives who live in Canada ( before I arrive by a few months- processing time is about 90 days) or should I arrive to the airport with the card that is about to expire and then renew it while I am in Canada? Is it okay to hang around without a PR card while I am in Canada (Between me getting a new one and the old one expiring?)

2) My wife is Canadian and I have spent the entire 5 years minus one month outside Canada with her, will I be given a hard time at the airport? will the immigration officers ask for our marriage certificate? Our three kids (All Canadian) are traveling with us do you think that they are enough proof that we are married? or do we need to be prepared with different documents?

Thanks a lot for your help

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. You can only apply for a PR Card while in Canada.

2. You can remain in Canada while waiting for the renewal with an expired PR Card.

3. Some applicants leave after submitting the application. Downside is if CIC require you to pick up the PR Card in Person or you to attend an interview. You then have the hassle of getting back into Canada without a PR Card. You may be lucky and CIC mail out your PR Card which can the be forwarded to you.

4. You need proof of the marriage and spouses citizenship at the airport and for renewal. Submit proof of your time outside Canada e.g. tax returns with marital status. Check the PR guide on the CIC site it has what you need to submit.