Married Recently - Sponsorship

lumos

May 9, 2013
Hey, everyone! Please help me out here. :(

Basic info:
- I am currently 18
- I am a PR of Canada for 1 year now
- Student working part-time
- I have been with my boyfriend for 2 years now but have been separated for 1 whole year because he is in the Philippines and I'm here in Canada
- My boyfriend is a Filipino citizen (like me), college/university graduate, and is 20 years old
- We both have sufficient funds (we are also supported by our families)

What do you think is the best way he can come to Canada?
Is it a good idea to go back to the Philippines and get married so I can sponsor him as a spouse to be with me here in Canada?
If we do get married, is there a minimum time that I have to stay with him in the Philippines before I go back and apply to be a sponsor?
Please do help me, I just hate (and feel devastated) that we have to stay away from each other for so long. :(

lumos

May 9, 2013
Another idea is to sponsor him to be a visitor and maybe he'll apply for a PR while he is here? Is there such a process?
Thoughts please :)

MadeInCanada

Oct 15, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
File Transfer...
23-01-2013
Med's Done....
18-10-2012
Interview........
26-05-2013
Passport Req..
27-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
18-06-2013
LANDED..........
July 1st 2013
Just hang in a bit more, I can't answer your questions thoroughly enough to be helpful. Someone with more experience will come along.

Take Care
MadeInCanada

lumos

May 9, 2013
MadeInCanada said:
Just hang in a bit more, I can't answer your questions thoroughly enough to be helpful. Someone with more experience will come along.

Take Care
MadeInCanada
But thank you for taking the time to view this. I'm afraid my post won't get noticed!

MadeInCanada

Oct 15, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
File Transfer...
23-01-2013
Med's Done....
18-10-2012
Interview........
26-05-2013
Passport Req..
27-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
18-06-2013
LANDED..........
July 1st 2013
It will, there are some very knowledgeable members that will be able to respond. With time differences you just need to be patient. And there is no time like now to learn patience, sponsorship uses a lot of it!

lumos

May 9, 2013
MadeInCanada said:
It will, there are some very knowledgeable members that will be able to respond. With time differences you just need to be patient. And there is no time like now to learn patience, sponsorship uses a lot of it!
thank you!! :D

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
lumos said:
Hey, everyone! Please help me out here. :(

Basic info:
- I am currently 18
- I am a PR of Canada for 1 year now
- Student working part-time
- I have been with my boyfriend for 2 years now but have been separated for 1 whole year because he is in the Philippines and I'm here in Canada
- My boyfriend is a Filipino citizen (like me), college/university graduate, and is 20 years old
- We both have sufficient funds (we are also supported by our families)

What do you think is the best way he can come to Canada?
Is it a good idea to go back to the Philippines and get married so I can sponsor him as a spouse to be with me here in Canada?
If we do get married, is there a minimum time that I have to stay with him in the Philippines before I go back and apply to be a sponsor?
Please do help me, I just hate (and feel devastated) that we have to stay away from each other for so long. :(
1) No one can tell you if it's a good idea to get married or not. You have to decide if you're ready for marriage, mature enough, and want to be with him the rest of your life. The next ten years, you will change more than you can ever realize. You will not be the same person and he will not be either. I would strongly advise against marrying so young. You have your whole life ahead of you. There's no need to rush into anything. But that's my opinion. Legally, there is no limitation on you marrying him and sponsoring him after the wedding. Just note - the officer may be concerned with why you married so young.

2) No, in fact you must remain in Canada to sponsor him, aside from short vacations (2-3 weeks max).

3) No one can tell you if this is the best way for him to come to Canada. For one, we have no idea about his other options (i. e., can he study in Canada or find a job). We also have no way to tell if he's admissible to Canada. We have no idea what CIC thinks and that's pretty much that. However, spousal sponsorship is definitely one the least complicated ways. (CIC confuses all of us at times.)

4) Chances of getting a visitor's visa are very low. You can try, but prepare to spend the money for nothing. Only do it if you can afford the option. If he can enter Canada as a visitor, you can sponsor him "Inland" through the Vegreville office, which takes 14 months (currently). If he applies for an open work permit and pays the correct fees, he will be allowed to remain past his visitor status and recieve an open work permit after Stage 1 approval (generally 6 months).

lumos

May 9, 2013
amikety said:
1) No one can tell you if it's a good idea to get married or not. You have to decide if you're ready for marriage, mature enough, and want to be with him the rest of your life. The next ten years, you will change more than you can ever realize. You will not be the same person and he will not be either. I would strongly advise against marrying so young. You have your whole life ahead of you. There's no need to rush into anything. But that's my opinion. Legally, there is no limitation on you marrying him and sponsoring him after the wedding. Just note - the officer may be concerned with why you married so young.

2) No, in fact you must remain in Canada to sponsor him, aside from short vacations (2-3 weeks max).

3) No one can tell you if this is the best way for him to come to Canada. For one, we have no idea about his other options (i. e., can he study in Canada or find a job). We also have no way to tell if he's admissible to Canada. We have no idea what CIC thinks and that's pretty much that. However, spousal sponsorship is definitely one the least complicated ways. (CIC confuses all of us at times.)

4) Chances of getting a visitor's visa are very low. You can try, but prepare to spend the money for nothing. Only do it if you can afford the option. If he can enter Canada as a visitor, you can sponsor him "Inland" through the Vegreville office, which takes 14 months (currently). If he applies for an open work permit and pays the correct fees, he will be allowed to remain past his visitor status and recieve an open work permit after Stage 1 approval (generally 6 months).
Thanks for taking the time to reply! I understand that you feel like there's no need to rush things and I also have thought about this for a very long time and have talked to my parents and his parents and our families about this and I know that things can change but I know people who have been together or married for many years but they still end up breaking up or getting divorced. But anyway, thanks for the concern :) I really appreciate it.

1. What I want to ask if it may be grounds for him to not be approved because of us being married so young?
And any advice about that?

2. Also, are you saying it is easier to sponsor a spouse to become a PR rather than be a visitor? Thanks :)

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
lumos said:
Thanks for taking the time to reply! I understand that you feel like there's no need to rush things and I also have thought about this for a very long time and have talked to my parents and his parents and our families about this and I know that things can change but I know people who have been together or married for many years but they still end up breaking up or getting divorced. But anyway, thanks for the concern :) I really appreciate it.

1. What I want to ask if it may be grounds for him to not be approved because of us being married so young?
And any advice about that?

2. Also, are you saying it is easier to sponsor a spouse to become a PR rather than be a visitor? Thanks :)
1) If he was rejected, it would be for more than that. CIC won't reject on just being married so young. For one, that would never hold up in appeals court and the judge would most likely blast them for wasting everyone's time and money. There would need to be other circumstances, such as criminal record or danger to the public health.

2) I'm saying if you want him to come to Canada, it's probably easier to sponsor for PR than visitor. CIC will see a spouse in Canada and feel the visitor has a high chance to not leave, so they are likely to reject a visitor's visa. However, a PR can't overstay so that concern is gone.

lumos

May 9, 2013
amikety said:
1) If he was rejected, it would be for more than that. CIC won't reject on just being married so young. For one, that would never hold up in appeals court and the judge would most likely blast them for wasting everyone's time and money. There would need to be other circumstances, such as criminal record or danger to the public health.

2) I'm saying if you want him to come to Canada, it's probably easier to sponsor for PR than visitor. CIC will see a spouse in Canada and feel the visitor has a high chance to not leave, so they are likely to reject a visitor's visa. However, a PR can't overstay so that concern is gone.
Thank you so much this is very helpful!

fandv

Aug 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Jan 2013
AOR Received.
CPC-M: None. Singapore: 25 Apr 2013
File Transfer...
17 Apr 2013
Med's Request
2nd request: 5 Feb 2014
Med's Done....
1st: 12 Dec 2012. 2nd: 11 Feb 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14 Feb 2014 and also e-CAS changed to "In Process" on that day. Passport got to Singapore: 12 Mar '14
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made on eCAS: 12 April 2014. Visa n COPR issued 8 April 2014, received 16 May 2014.
LANDED..........
20 May 2014. PR card arrived on 29 July 2014.
lumos said:
Thank you so much this is very helpful!

Mabuhay lumos... :)

One more thing I'd like to add: one of the most important things that the CIC takes into consideration is how genuine a relationship is, and you'll have to prove it. I suggest that from now on, you should keep record of your chat logs, call logs, video chat screenshots, Facebook screenshots, emails, letters, cards, travel proofs, photos, and pretty much anything that you think can help to show how genuine your relationship is, because you will have to send them along with the application forms and supporting documents =)

lumos

May 9, 2013
fandv said:
Mabuhay lumos... :)

One more thing I'd like to add: one of the most important things that the CIC takes into consideration is how genuine a relationship is, and you'll have to prove it. I suggest that from now on, you should keep record of your chat logs, call logs, video chat screenshots, Facebook screenshots, emails, letters, cards, travel proofs, photos, and pretty much anything that you think can help to show how genuine your relationship is, because you will have to send them along with the application forms and supporting documents =)
Thank you & Mabuhay also! Finally, my being sentimental payed off bec ever since the start of our relationship, I have kept all our letters to each other, hundreds of photos from vacations, events, family events, and also our receipts, pictures with our cat that we bought and still continuously working for to feed!

We've lived apart for one year, but still continue to chat and call each other, does that affect anything?

fandv

Aug 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Jan 2013
AOR Received.
CPC-M: None. Singapore: 25 Apr 2013
File Transfer...
17 Apr 2013
Med's Request
2nd request: 5 Feb 2014
Med's Done....
1st: 12 Dec 2012. 2nd: 11 Feb 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14 Feb 2014 and also e-CAS changed to "In Process" on that day. Passport got to Singapore: 12 Mar '14
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made on eCAS: 12 April 2014. Visa n COPR issued 8 April 2014, received 16 May 2014.
LANDED..........
20 May 2014. PR card arrived on 29 July 2014.
lumos said:
Thank you & Mabuhay also! Finally, my being sentimental payed off bec ever since the start of our relationship, I have kept all our letters to each other, hundreds of photos from vacations, events, family events, and also our receipts, pictures with our cat that we bought and still continuously working for to feed!

We've lived apart for one year, but still continue to chat and call each other, does that affect anything?
Haha...so we're the same then ^^ I always keep things that hold sentimental values, and it turns out they're very useful to support our sponsorship application =P. I even keep our cinema tickets too (and my wife kinda teases me about that =P), and I'd still do that too even if there was no sponsorship application :p

We've lived apart for one year, but still continue to chat and call each other, does that affect anything? =====> well in fact it's good that you maintain your communications with each other....that's what the CIC likes to see =). How do you call each other...? It doesn't really matter how....the important thing is: whatever means you use to call each other should have the call history.....you can use services such as G3Telecom.com, GoldLine.Net, or Skype subscription (this is what I personally use). Don't use prepaid cards as the used cards are not valuable since they don't bear any call history whatsoever... ;)

lumos

May 9, 2013
fandv said:
Haha...so we're the same then ^^ I always keep things that hold sentimental values, and it turns out they're very useful to support our sponsorship application =P. I even keep our cinema tickets too (and my wife kinda teases me about that =P), and I'd still do that too even if there was no sponsorship application :p

We've lived apart for one year, but still continue to chat and call each other, does that affect anything? =====> well in fact it's good that you maintain your communications with each other....that's what the CIC likes to see =). How do you call each other...? It doesn't really matter how....the important thing is: whatever means you use to call each other should have the call history.....you can use services such as G3Telecom.com, GoldLine.Net, or Skype subscription (this is what I personally use). Don't use prepaid cards as the used cards are not valuable since they don't bear any call history whatsoever... ;)
Did you do the same thing? Sponsor your wife to Canada? :D
I don't have Skype subscription, just regular skype, I don't pay :( but maybe I can just get screenshots?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
lumos said:
Did you do the same thing? Sponsor your wife to Canada? :D
I don't have Skype subscription, just regular skype, I don't pay :( but maybe I can just get screenshots?
You can. I don't have a subscription either, but I included our Skype video call log.