+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage to a canadian citizen

ibmfreak

May 24, 2024
I have a question I am seeing this lady who is canadian and we want to get married . I am British. What is the procedure to move to Canada permanently. I am not too much bothered about citizenship just should be allowed to work and live in Canada with my wife. Thankyiu

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have a question I am seeing this lady who is canadian and we want to get married . I am British. What is the procedure to move to Canada permanently. I am not too much bothered about citizenship just should be allowed to work and live in Canada with my wife. Thankyiu
When you're married, your Canadian spouse can sponsor you:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children.html

There's a forum with more info here (or sub-forum or whatever you want to call it):
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/family-class-sponsorship.5/

It's the most common type of sponsorship. It's not that complicated, dont' need a lawyer unless circumstances complicated, just tedious paperwork and timing. Somewhat shorter for NATO/UKUSAUSNZ/EU (security and other clearances easier). Probably most significant choice is whether you wish to apply 'inland' (you as applicant residing in Canada during the process) or 'outland' (could be residing some of the time). Inland tends to be shorter (but that may be a statistical artifact i.e. many outland applicants are people who can't get visas to Canada and would have required longer checks anyway).

In both cases applicants who are in Canada can apply for a work permit. That said, those who want to remain in Canada during the process with their spouse likely to have some periods where they can't work (unless they have right to work on some other basis anyway). Those who stay abroad until all approved can work the day after they arrive.

Don't get intimidated by the jargon or the forms, it's mostly manageable paperwork.