22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
EaSt CoAsT GiRl said:
I agree 100% with your response bobshynoswife....well said.
Give me a postive karma then...I seem to have got about 4 negative ones today! I must be PMSing....

(totally kidding about the positive karma though. sort of.)

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
joecreosta said:
slavery? what slavery? wat u r talking about?
I'm talking about the trafficking of women.
Men have been known to marry a Nigerian woman and sponsor her to Europe (usually), and then force her into prostitution. It's common in Eastern Europe and Asia as well.

journeyman

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2010
AOR Received.
22-07-2010
File Transfer...
25-05-2010
Med's Done....
19-02-2010
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
02-09-2010
LANDED..........
12-10-2010
bobshynoswife said:
Give me a postive karma then...I seem to have got about 4 negative ones today! I must be PMSing....

(totally kidding about the positive karma though. sort of.)
I also totally agree with what you said as well. Here's some good karma coming your way ;)

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
bobshynoswife said:
Fast forward 6 months, and look at our timeline! We know that there will be no racial or cultural bias towards him in Accra as there would have been in London. We are so thankful that he had to leave. He will likely be in canada before London would have even scheduled an interview.
I think your husband should have no trouble at the interview. Your application was so detailed and included so much evidence, I can't see how the visa officer could refuse a visa.

But ... keep in mind the visa officers are usually white. The one who interviewed my husband in Accra seemed racist, and she is notorious for being tough. My lawyer even said they probably keep her working there because she is racist. I'm pretty sure if one could get this statistic, one would see that black applicants married to white people have a lower acceptance rate than average, and have to wait longer for a decision.

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
canadianwoman said:
I think your husband should have no trouble at the interview. Your application was so detailed and included so much evidence, I can't see how the visa officer could refuse a visa.

But ... keep in mind the visa officers are usually white. The one who interviewed my husband in Accra seemed racist, and she is notorious for being tough. My lawyer even said they probably keep her working there because she is racist. I'm pretty sure if one could get this statistic, one would see that black applicants married to white people have a lower acceptance rate than average, and have to wait longer for a decision.
Thanks. We are very hopeful but will not take our application for granted. We both know he has to ace the interview. I am hoping that since he spent 6 years in London it will help a bit...having a more british accent than african and also being more comfortable around caucasian people, which many Nigerians are not.

I am always praying for you. I pray that although your appeal seemed to go badly, that it was just a show by the judge and they will still rule in your favour.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Thanks. I'm hopeful too, but ...

cyanmaple

Star Member
Mar 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-may-2010
AOR Received.
6-july-2010
File Transfer...
16-june-2010
Med's Done....
april 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-july-2010
VISA ISSUED...
29-july-2010
canadianwoman said:

Are you people paranoid? Maybe an IO officer gets to read this type of posts you people make around here and then no wonder you have problems.
Im sure africa has slower processing times, but what about number of applicants. I recently saw on tv about an uk embassy from nigeria and how many bogus applications are made there , because there if you have money you can get any type of documents. Basically many people try their luck , so IO officers have to check 3 times every document inch by inch for signs of forgery and to check their source.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Yeah, but the visa officer who interviewed my husband in Accra threw his application on the floor. She wasn't inspecting his documents for signs of forgery.
She seemed racist to me. True, maybe if she were working at the Canadian embassy in Paris, say, she would be throwing the marriage certificate and wedding photos of white couples on the floor too, but somehow I doubt it.

kwabena kwabena

Star Member
May 26, 2010
cyanmaple said:
Are you people paranoid? Maybe an IO officer gets to read this type of posts you people make around here and then no wonder you have problems.
Im sure africa has slower processing times, but what about number of applicants. I recently saw on tv about an uk embassy from nigeria and how many bogus applications are made there , because there if you have money you can get any type of documents. Basically many people try their luck , so IO officers have to check 3 times every document inch by inch for signs of forgery and to check their source.
Cyanmaple,

Uk is fraud and the whites in UK do it, Please lay off Nigerian and Africans, I dont blame them, I also watched the Show that you are talking about and it was so imperative to think that the Whites were importing fake documents to help people cheat the system, The sad thing is that whites wants only the whites in their country but the whites are the fraudster but i dont want to sound like this. We read and listen to the news and everything, the amount of fraud going on is overwhelming and even Fraud goes on at CIC, RCMP, everywhere. I dont agree with the fact too that Canada is multi cultured, The country the is multi coultered is UK..... Remember Canada is in North America, Segregation... pls dont let us get deep into this. Yes the IO come here and read stuff but can you imagine an Officer throwing you documents on the flor?? haaaaa Please give us a break, You go to the embassy and they treat you like sh... excuse my lingo....... Go to the embassy in UK< Canada and look at how you are welocome, even when you are holind a fake or fraud documents.. pls again pls certain countries are always at a disadvantage and we know it.

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Aren't there enough men in Canada of any color? Jeez.. it's not about color. Well, it shouldn't be but sometimes it is. I have family who don't approve of my husband who is just part black (and yes, he is the Canadian.. not all of us immigrants are third world 'con artists').

It's sad to see stuff like that in the 21st century.

If we could choose who to fall in love with, do you think that any of us would be going through this frustrating process? That's not how it works.

Back to the original topic a bit.. people need to start acting like adults. Ok, if you chat online with someone for a month and then marry them the first day you visit them, that's probably not going to be true love, right? Anyone that is old enough to get married should know this. It happens to men and to women, so there's no need to generalize. CIC shouldn't HAVE to take months and years to assess genuine marriages.

As for the sponsorship agreement, I think this exists for a wonderful reason. We have neighbors who took part in an immigration scam. Yes, the guy told my husband this, he wasn't ashamed. The woman's family paid him several thousand dollars to marry her and bring her over (he also came over from that country as a child,). He tried to get rid of her shortly thereafter, but nope, he has to be responsible for her for three years.. which is good. It's not only trying to protect people from other countries from being taken advantage of, it's trying to deter the scams like this that go on all the time.

And by the way, their case was approved in under three months.. so it's hard for me to sit back and think that the elaborate and expensive process is doing much good.

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
Only 2% in the end look are reported as frauds? Out of 45000? That is not a bad statistic really. 98% look legitimate? Hell...the phone company will only guarantee that 98% of calls will be connected. They often do better but that is all they guarantee.

Right now I think the balance is pretty good if that statistic is correct. Having sponsored my wife I know it was painful enough to get through. If we had some extra wait time, or more processing, or even a 2 year probation on her PR...it would just lengthen out an already long and tiring process. A process that for 98% of the people seems to work.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I met my husband in 2001 while we were both working in Asia. I did not go to Nigeria to look for a man; when I met him I was not living in Canada; I moved back to Canada to look after my extremely sick parents - leaving my then-boyfriend and a perfectly good job. The whole thing has been a nightmare.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OK We all complain about a dysfunctional system. Now what do we plan to do about this? This is our Government elected by us making us go through pain. They represent us so we must tell them what we want. Its not enough to just complain on a web forum. We must change a dysfunctional system.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
frolic said:
Only 2% in the end look are reported as frauds? Out of 45000? That is not a bad statistic really. 98% look legitimate? Hell...the phone company will only guarantee that 98% of calls will be connected. They often do better but that is all they guarantee.

Right now I think the balance is pretty good if that statistic is correct. Having sponsored my wife I know it was painful enough to get through. If we had some extra wait time, or more processing, or even a 2 year probation on her PR...it would just lengthen out an already long and tiring process. A process that for 98% of the people seems to work.
There is a cost of CIC's needing to check the authenticity of every relationship. First, the applicant must assemble a mountain of documents (sometimes quite difficult to get), to try to show the relationship is authentic through sheer volume of photos, emails, etc etc. Second, CIC must spend months and even years sifting through these documents, reading between the lines to determine if the applicant's pose is true or faked.

Not to beat a dead horse (well, maybe a bit of a beating), but a conditional PR system, with permanent PR granted only where the relationship lasts two years, would remove a lot of this uncertainty. Then documentary requirements and processing times could be reduced drastically, since TIME will tell the tale, and not the sheer weight of documents.

PC25

Jul 30, 2010
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2009
Med's Request
October 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009
Passport Req..
November 2009
VISA ISSUED...
April 2013
LANDED..........
November 2013
sad to know that things like this fraud marriages happens.
the worst part is that most of time they were granted the visa. where in fact many who has a genuine relationship are being denied for some absurd reasons.
its so unfair.. :mad: