+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage of Convenience/ Marriags Fraud

Jskahlon

Mar 24, 2019
Hi Macardent. We i made this thread to find more people like my and your brother. So we can knock on the government door to make transparency in investigation or make the process fast at least. The victims they do so mucb hard work to settle here then a fraudulent comes in their life and they had to suffer more. Like we hired lawyer to file complaint, we are paying to lawyer we are suffering to deal with this and that guy is enjoying canadian life somewhere. And we are sitting like fools outside of investigators office.

We need more people and some way to represent us in front of government.

Reactions: Macardent

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes, we do have proofs of texf msgs. Olhe was trying so hard to make my sister feel that she did something wrong worh him and that's why he is not talking to her. But thwre was nothing like that. He did said anything even he was hardly talking to my sister as soon as he got COPR.
I know we can prove clearly that whaf were his intentions.but the problem is the Immigration fraud investigation systems sucks. This is 11th month from the time we hired laywer and filed complaint against him. And we didn't get a single sign of investigation form them.
Is what you wrote above the 'proof' you are referring to? That won't even begin to be sufficient, what you wrote above sounds like not much more than a poor relationship. Even that, he would probably be able to explain lack of communication as being nothing more than busy.

This is the problem: for them to act on it as a clear case of marriage fraud, the proof needed would likely have to be close to the proverbial smoking gun - e.g. written messages from the alleged fraudster saying his intentions were fake and he just wants to get PR status.

And to be a bit blunt: in a lot of respects, how is this the government's fault? Canadian residents in Canada get in bad relationships and marriages all the time where one partner has large monetary losses, apart from laws allowing a plaintiff to take the 'bad' partner to (civil) court, the government doesn't get involved. Except, of course, where there is actual criminal behaviour, where the standards of proof are quite high - and this applies equally to sponsored PRs, for whom criminal behaviour can also mean revocation of PR status and eventual deportation. No outright criminal behaviour? The PR is a PR, period, with the same rights as other PRs.

Sponsors are taking on responsibility for their spouses. Many don't seem to fully understand this.

And let's face it: the risks of a fraudulent marriage for immigration purposes are higher with arranged marriages. That's not a comment on arranged marriages generally, but that those entering into them need to be MUCH more careful.

Jskahlon

Mar 24, 2019
Is what you wrote above the 'proof' you are referring to? That won't even begin to be sufficient, what you wrote above sounds like not much more than a poor relationship. Even that, he would probably be able to explain lack of communication as being nothing more than busy.

This is the problem: for them to act on it as a clear case of marriage fraud, the proof needed would likely have to be close to the proverbial smoking gun - e.g. written messages from the alleged fraudster saying his intentions were fake and he just wants to get PR status.

And to be a bit blunt: in a lot of respects, how is this the government's fault? Canadian residents in Canada get in bad relationships and marriages all the time where one partner has large monetary losses, apart from laws allowing a plaintiff to take the 'bad' partner to (civil) court, the government doesn't get involved. Except, of course, where there is actual criminal behaviour, where the standards of proof are quite high - and this applies equally to sponsored PRs, for whom criminal behaviour can also mean revocation of PR status and eventual deportation. No outright criminal behaviour? The PR is a PR, period, with the same rights as other PRs.

Sponsors are taking on responsibility for their spouses. Many don't seem to fully understand this.

And let's face it: the risks of a fraudulent marriage for immigration purposes are higher with arranged marriages. That's not a comment on arranged marriages generally, but that those entering into them need to be MUCH more careful.

Well i am not here to discuss if my sister's case. I am trying get as many people as i can. Thank you for your suggestion

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Well i am not here to discuss if my sister's case. I am trying get as many people as i can. Thank you for your suggestion
Okay, of course; but what you shared about your sister's case so far doesn't get there. Keep in mind (as far as we can tell) the vast majority of such cases/allegations fall down or are not actionable by government because they lack proof that there was intent to have a fraudulent marriage for immigration purposes.

Put differently, you can have evidence that the fraudster is a jerk, a heel, a cad, and an outright despicable human being (but short of committing criminal acts).

Won't matter without showing that intent.

muscletech

May 26, 2020
App. Filed.......
24-02-2020
AOR Received.
10-03-2020
Government has already set a high scale for the applicants to prove the genuineness of their relationship in the sponsorship applications and they are doing there best to evaluate it, for example, a proper checklist that consists of every possible thing, rejections of the applications etc.. If people in the relationship aren’t able to figure out if it is genuine or not (in some cases families are too involved), I don’t understand how we can expect someone else (IRCC in this case) to figure out, moreover to whom every proof that shows the relationship is perfect are presented. The sponsorship starts because of the ‘relationship between 2 people‘, IRCC does their part to unite them, and after that if relationship works it’s good, if not then one should do what is normally done in every relationship and that’s move on.

Reactions: *nn* and armoured

Macardent

Jul 28, 2020
Government has already set a high scale for the applicants to prove the genuineness of their relationship in the sponsorship applications and they are doing there best to evaluate it, for example, a proper checklist that consists of every possible thing, rejections of the applications etc.. If people in the relationship aren’t able to figure out if it is genuine or not (in some cases families are too involved), I don’t understand how we can expect someone else (IRCC in this case) to figure out, moreover to whom every proof that shows the relationship is perfect are presented. The sponsorship starts because of the ‘relationship between 2 people‘, IRCC does their part to unite them, and after that if relationship works it’s good, if not then one should do what is normally done in every relationship and that’s move on.
You sound like someone who attained their PR through this method.

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Relationships breakdown all the time. As a person mentioned in a post earlier a high percentage of marriages in North America end in divorce as it is, and that's when they did a love marriage not arranged.

It would be really hard to prove that the person committed fraud vs the marriage broke down. Coming to a new country, spending more time together and realizing the communication or chemistry is not there, finding out your spouse is taking depression meds....these can easily be reasons for it not working out.

Not saying what he did is right, just saying proving that would be difficult.

Reactions: scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The best way to prevent immigration fraud is to not sponsor someone right after marriage especially if you never dated and live with your spouse abroad for a while. Don't bring up sponsorship or immigration and see whether your spouse or their family is the one bringing up sponsorship.. Unfortunately many don't want to see that they are being married for immigration purposes. We have seen people get denied sponsorship, appeal while stressing that it is a real marriage and then after the the spouse arrives in Canada the relationship breaks down and she/he wants the spouse to be punished because of the marriage of convenience. People can also date Canadians or try and find and arranged mariage with someone else in Canada or another country where immigration isn't a big issue like the US, Australia, European countries, etc.

Reactions: MAIL2SUNDAREEE

AutumnSkies

May 31, 2019
The best thing one can do to avoid marriage fraud is not to be too hasty. It’s not IRCC’s responsibility to babysit and make sure you’ve chosen a good partner. Sponsoring someone as your partner to come to Canada permanently isn’t something you just do on a whim. My husband and I were together for almost eight years before I sponsored him last year. I took on such a stressful undertaking because I made damn sure he was a decent man and that I loved him first BEFORE I sponsored him. Now that he’s here as a permanent resident he’s my best friend and soulmate. I couldn’t be any happier.

Best advice I can give. Don’t rush things. Make absolute sure you really want to do this before making such a huge decision.

Reactions: canuck78 and Alexn

muscletech

May 26, 2020
App. Filed.......
24-02-2020
AOR Received.
10-03-2020
I apologise, that was uncalled for. I have just been burnt by fraudsters and guess kind of took that out on you.
No worries. I do understand. These kind of situations have the power to completely break down an individual and concerned family members too. If you or your family member is going through this, understand that time will heal everything but clinging on the past will only make it hard. Help yourself or your family member, this is the time. Negativity is already thrown out of your life, because of your good deeds. If you stay happy, you’ll attract everything/someone positive towards you. Choice is all yours.

Reactions: Macardent

garry4

Feb 9, 2021
Hello everyone. I am writing this to take a step forward and unite all of you who are facing these cheating from their spouses. My sister faced this marriage of convenience situation. That fraud guy married to my sister in India. Almost within a year he got PR as my sister sponsored him. But he left her within 2 months of coming here to Canada. We hired a lawyer filed a full complaint with all legal practices, But the IRCC or CBSA or whoever is responsible to reply haven't given us any clue it now. It is been alkost year now. We don't even know after leaving my sister where is he living now.

I don't just get the government system. Why government think that the people who gets sponsored by their spouses only they can be victim. I saw 100s other who did marriage genuinely, lived their partner but as soon as they come to canada they left the person who beought them here. We are human beings show can government expect that we can see through other person's mind that what he/she thinking at back of their minds. No matter how government make the rule but bad people always take advamtage of that. But is doesn't even mean that good and innocent people will have to suffer.

Many of the victims don't even file complaint against such fraudulents beacause most of them are alone and most don't even know what to do. some like us who have spend money and time to bring the issue in front of govt. We get nothing.but just wait wait and wait. . . . .

So why don't we come togeather and file cases togeather and take help of other resources and show the government this issue together. I really want to do this for my sister and family. I saw my sister suffering with this. ((Couples who have casual fights in between and just want to deport there spouses just to take revenge plz seek another way))
Other, reply me if you are one of the victim. We will get together in this and bring justice to our doors. Thank you.
hello.. we are suffering similar situation but our circumstances different because children are involved in our case. moreover the time frame is very long in between the marriage and the person came in Canada. we want to discuss our situation if we can get right info. how can we can contact you to come together for justice.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hello.. we are suffering similar situation but our circumstances different because children are involved in our case. moreover the time frame is very long in between the marriage and the person came in Canada. we want to discuss our situation if we can get right info. how can we can contact you to come together for justice.
If the time between marriage and sponsorship is long and you've been together long enough to have children that isn't a marriage of convenience. That is a relationship breakdown.