Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
My parents have some valid concerns. I am getting married in Canada ( and obviously staying with my new husband in Canada after) just to clarify:

1. What should I say to them? I was thinking of saying that I am visiting my husband while the application is in process.
The issue is, I won't I have submitted it yet because I am waiting to get the certificate and my new passport. I really want to stay with him but I am not sure how to go about it.

And :
2. Will they not let my US family in the country? They are staying long enough to go to the wedding and then going home. My parents are afraid they won't be allowed in because they are going to a wedding.

Admittedly, my folks are quite ignorant about this process and I can't get things to sink in at all. The fear seems to paralyze them and they shutdown when I try to explain things then ask the same questions later and act like the answer will change or I don't know what I'm talking about.. It's really frustrating. I'm so tired of hearing " Why can't he just move because....." or " Why couldn't you find an American guy, it'd be easier". It's driving me nuts. I've tried to tell them that others have made it work but they won't listen.
He has a $18.37/hr job and I can't find a job other than a $10/hr seasonal job. That won't pay the rent. And he obviously can't work here. And just because a married couple she knows don't live in the same house and cross the border to visit each other almost daily, that I should do that too. They say I should work in the US and then go home to Canada each day. At least will this processes.

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
Blueangel-

I can understand your concerns. You have to choose what will work for you and/or your relationship. I was in the same situation as you....as far as being from the US and marrying my Canadian hubby and being sponsored, going through the process.

As far as crossing the border, you're not guaranteed entry but I can tell you that my parents, siblings, and countless other people were able to cross to attend our wedding in Canada. I really don't see it being a problem, but I'm saying that from what I know and my personal experiences as far as that is concerned.

If you plan on visiting/staying with Hubby in Canada prior to your marriage/filling out application, I would apply for a visitor's record. I would print out a copy of the paperwork and gather some things together such as pictures, etc, to show your intent as far as submitting paperwork after marriage. From my experience, I had no problem receiving a visitor's record and am currently on #3, soon to be #4 :) While on the visitor's record, at one point, I went back to work in the US and came and went to visit hubby at least twice a month with no problems. That went on for a year. I have now been here on a visitor's record for 2 years and am nearing the end of this process. There are days that I feel I should have stayed in the US to work because I'm just a person that loves to work. But, there are days that I am so thankful I get to spend time with hubby and share those everyday little things with each other. We do what works for us and you will figure out what will work for you, as well! Plus, it's a known fact, if you can survive this immigration process your marriage will last FOREVER, as you can then get through anything :) ;)

If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out and I'll try to help in whatever way I can! All the best to you!

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
If you don't put your foot down now, you will hear about it until youre blue in the face. You know, for the next fifty years. If it would help, invite the parent you have a better/close relationship with and/or will hear you out to lunch. Have a frank talk about this and request the message be passed on. Tell your parents they are making this more stressful for you and more difficult than it has to be. You know they love you, so please show that love by supporting your choices.

2) No one here can answer this question 100%, but chances are, yes they can get into Canada. Most Americans are admissible without issue. As long as they behave like visitors and are respectful towards the IO, it should be fine. It seems to me the biggest issues for Americans crossing the border are 1) the IO thinks they will overstay (especially if they bring household items like furniture, a moving truck, forms for immigration); 2) DUI.

As far as #1, if you are crossing alone, it's probably best to maintain you're just visiting (and not bring a wedding dress, invitations, anything wedding related with you). If Mr. Angel is crossing with you, then let him talk and he can explain the situation to the IO, although just visiting is still probably the safest way to go.

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
Ok. He is going to be with me. My dress, etc. Will already be in Canada. No one in my family has any legal issues to keep them out. I had planned on getting a visitors record when I crossed and I will most definitely bring some proofs with me.