+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage in Canada

lea1113

Star Member
Dec 10, 2016
App. Filed.......
10-11-2017
Hey y'all,

I have posted before in regards about my situation. There is so much information to take in. We have been going back and forth with outland vs inland.
In my first post from back in December, we have planned to do an eloped marriage off of a cruise ship. However, we have decided that the cost for me to cruise and the marriage just isn't worth it. Now we have discussed a marriage in India, but I have looked up the legal requirements and its looking like I would need to stay in India for up to 60 days. I will do more research on this. He is Indian citizen with multiple entry visa until 2024. I have gone to India 2 times now and he has come to Canada once. His parents and family are all in the know of our relationship and always welcomed me into their home. I am a Canadian Citizen, my parents are not from India.

I am just wondering if anyone has done a marriage in Canada and what was required? We truly just want a small marriage. In India we had planned just his parents and sister and once we have more fiances then we would do the big traditional wedding in India and Canada.

and what are people's experiences with applying Inland? What did your spouse say in secondary when they landed?

This is all just so much information and we are trying to get as much information before we do the application.

Tajnuba

Jan 11, 2017
Visa Office......
Singapoore
App. Filed.......
27-02-2017
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
File Transfer...
21-04-2017
Med's Request
07-11-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Interview........
07-11-2017
Passport Req..
15/11/2017
VISA ISSUED...
12/15/2017
HI to get married in canada first you need to buy a marriage license from a marriage license issuer of your province ..for that you need some photo id ..passport will be good .. and after getting the license you both can marriage after 24 hours .. nd the license is good for upto 3 month i beleive ..you can ask them .. and then u need to find a marriage commissionar and take an appointment on the wedding date .. and on that day you need to take the marriage license with you and give this to the marriage commisionar . also you need to take two witnesses of 18 years or more with you in the ceremony ... and after the marriage is done .. you have to apply to get the marriage certificate which can take upto 2-3 weeks or less sometime ..

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
We married in canada. We needed his id translated (cetified copies) in order to get the marriage license. We then go married a few weeks later in a wedding chamber at city hall.

He didnt say anything at the border... visiting friends upon landing

Pitt1234

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
As others mentioned:

1. You need to get a marriage license first.

2. You may choose a civil or a religious wedding. I think many temples and churches would allow a religious wedding. We had a small Hindu ceremony performed by one of the priests who is licensed in Ontario. You can also marry in a court.
For Ontario, here is a list of approved religious marriage officiants: https://files.ontario.ca/opendata/onlinelist_apr07.csv
You can visit any temple/church or drop an email to a priest to officiate your marriage. The scale and location of the wedding are totally up to you.

3. After marriage, the priest would mail off the papers for registration and you will get a marriage certificate in 12 weeks.
If you need to speed up your license for some reason, you need to contact them with the proof of urgency: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/sample-letter-proof-of-urgency-marriage-certificate-ontario-t190108.0.html

lea1113 said:
Hey y'all,

I have posted before in regards about my situation. There is so much information to take in. We have been going back and forth with outland vs inland.
In my first post from back in December, we have planned to do an eloped marriage off of a cruise ship. However, we have decided that the cost for me to cruise and the marriage just isn't worth it. Now we have discussed a marriage in India, but I have looked up the legal requirements and its looking like I would need to stay in India for up to 60 days. I will do more research on this. He is Indian citizen with multiple entry visa until 2024. I have gone to India 2 times now and he has come to Canada once. His parents and family are all in the know of our relationship and always welcomed me into their home. I am a Canadian Citizen, my parents are not from India.

I am just wondering if anyone has done a marriage in Canada and what was required? We truly just want a small marriage. In India we had planned just his parents and sister and once we have more fiances then we would do the big traditional wedding in India and Canada.

and what are people's experiences with applying Inland? What did your spouse say in secondary when they landed?

This is all just so much information and we are trying to get as much information before we do the application.