Nairobi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2011
AOR Received.
15-04-2011
Hello,
I have a few questions about what is the best order to do things. I am Canadian and my boyfriend/fiancee is Kenyan. We met while I was in Kenya. We have made the decision to get married and we have 2 choices, marry in Canada or marry in Kenya. He is planning to come for a visit (TRV) in July. We hope to return to Kenya for Christmas though.

Option 1: We get married in July and start the PRV-sponsorship process immediately.
Option 2: We wait until we go to Kenya and marry there.

Option 1 is probably the most desirable since the processing times for visas in Nairobi are anywhere from 17 to 26 months and I don't want to live apart from my husband for that long! But my concern is what if our sponsorship application in Canada doesn't go through before he has to leave Canada.

Another question on that note, if we get him a multiple entry visa, is it possible for us to get it for greater than 6 months and is it possible for us to go back to Kenya over Christmas and then return to Canada while our sponsorship application is being processed?

Any help would be much appreciated!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

KristinB15 said:
Hello,
I have a few questions about what is the best order to do things. I am Canadian and my boyfriend/fiancee is Kenyan. We met while I was in Kenya. We have made the decision to get married and we have 2 choices, marry in Canada or marry in Kenya. He is planning to come for a visit (TRV) in July. We hope to return to Kenya for Christmas though.

Option 1: We get married in July and start the PRV-sponsorship process immediately.
Option 2: We wait until we go to Kenya and marry there.

Option 1 is probably the most desirable since the processing times for visas in Nairobi are anywhere from 17 to 26 months and I don't want to live apart from my husband for that long! But my concern is what if our sponsorship application in Canada doesn't go through before he has to leave Canada.

Another question on that note, if we get him a multiple entry visa, is it possible for us to get it for greater than 6 months and is it possible for us to go back to Kenya over Christmas and then return to Canada while our sponsorship application is being processed?

Any help would be much appreciated!
1. See if he gets a TRV first, make your decision if he gets a TRV.
2. An "In-Canada" spousal application to reach Approval in Principle stage is 5/6 months.
3. If he leaves during the "in-Canada" spousal, there is an excellent chance that he will not be re-admitted and the application is over and you start over with an "out of Canada" application.

PMM

maua

Oct 2, 2009
As much as possible avoid an 'out of Canada' application. The Nairobi office has the record of being ridiculously slow.

KristinB15

Jan 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Nairobi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2011
AOR Received.
15-04-2011
Thank you so much for your responses. Just one more question. If my fiancee only gets a 6 month TRV visa initially do you think an extention would be possible in order for our "in Canada" sponsorship application to go through? Is that a legitamite reason for extention?

I noticed the Nairobi wait times were ridiculously long so I'd like to try all other options first. I really wouldn't want to be separated from my new husband for up to 2 years!!

ebonydusty

Jan 26, 2010
Like someone had suggested you get the TRV first, if he succeeds in getting that, then it makes so much sense to do it "in-Canada", the process usually take somewhere between months and 1/2 years pending on how fast your case might go but you guys are gonna be in Canada together, wont be advisable for him to travel out of Canada. But if you go via out of Canada, it will be frustrating waiting for the process to be over.

MsMobas

Sep 9, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
NAIROBI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-19-2010
AOR Received.
09-22-2010
Passport Req..
11-24-2010
VISA ISSUED...
01-31-2011
At times, it is close to impossible for a Kenyan to get a travel visa to Canada. It is unfortunate.

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
MsMobas said:
At times, it is close to impossible for a Kenyan to get a travel visa to Canada. It is unfortunate.
Not just Kenyans but most Africans. Methinks the OP's option 1 is not really an option because I doubt the lad will get a TRV. If he says he's going to visit his fiancee, it raises a redflag. She may end up having to settle for option 2 and wait a couple of years for the PR to be processed in Nairobi. Regardless, goodluck!

B

boyee6576

My suggestion is if you marry in his country make sure your marriage will be recognize in Canada. Other wise you will have a very difficult time when it comes to sponsoring. My marriage was in India. I had heard alot of people who got married legally in India but it was not recognized in Canada. There are several marriage acts in India but not all of them are considered legal in Canada. I know alot of people get married in the courts and then have a religious ceremony. So just a little tip to make sure things so smooth. :)

KristinB15

Jan 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Nairobi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2011
AOR Received.
15-04-2011
Well,
Unfortunately as predicted the TRV didn't get approved. We are going to try again with shorter time frames and having my parents invite (and pay) for his trip. We are going to stress that we would love to show him Canada after we have been treated so well in Africa. Not sure if this will work but we can only keep praying! Guess if all else fails I'll be making frequent trips back to Kenya to marry and visit my husband during our PR application wait times... :(

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
KristinB15 said:
Well,
Unfortunately as predicted the TRV didn't get approved. We are going to try again with shorter time frames and having my parents invite (and pay) for his trip. We are going to stress that we would love to show him Canada after we have been treated so well in Africa. Not sure if this will work but we can only keep praying! Guess if all else fails I'll be making frequent trips back to Kenya to marry and visit my husband during our PR application wait times... :(
Unfortunately, I doubt it's going to work simply because you will hardly be able to prove that he will return when his vacay is over. He would have been better off being invited for business or something else. you can try but be prepared for another refusal and long trips to Kenya.

My advice to you is to go ahead with the wedding in Kenya, if you are convinced you want to be with him...and then apply outland. It's a long wait time but you can utilize that time well...perhaps, take trips where he meets you half way, etc. I know it's hard but that's life. Good luck!