São Paulo, Brazil
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
November/2009
iarblue said:
Im not sure but i would think if you were in Canada and they asked for an interview im sure it could take place in Canada i would hope they would not want you to travel back to Brazil for an interview but i couldbe wrong its happened before lol.
No. If an interview is required, it will for sure take place in São Paulo.

I

iarblue

That sucks but my wife is staying in Brazil till its all done anyway,I got things to do before she comes anyway bigger place to live for one.She has a lotof shoes hahahahaha.

IntLove

Jan 12, 2010
compuadnet said:
As stated earlier, any document that you bring from canada have it legalized at the Brazilian Embassy.. such as Birth certificate, passport, and your civil status from Directeur de l'état civil. Then when you arrive in Brazil, you will need to translate it and use them for what you need them for.
To "Legalize" a passport, do you need to make them legalize a copy or the original? If it is the original, where do they put the stamp/signature?

compuadnet

Star Member
Mar 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CIC-M Feb 2nd 2010
Doc's Request.
June 8th 2010 delivered June 24
AOR Received.
April 14th 2010
File Transfer...
Started processing in SP April 1st
Med's Done....
Recieved June 20th 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
17-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
08-09-2010
They can not stamp your passport.... you make photocopies then get them notarized in which they use those copies... the original can not be stamped or written on by just anyone other than immigration.

Hope this helps.

I

iarblue

Today the website says Process started in Sao Paulo April 13th oh its pain staking waiting for this.And mind you a crap load of money running a household in Canada and Brazil.

IntLove

Jan 12, 2010
I asked my girlfriend to take some information in a cartorio recently and she told me 2 things that are very new to me.

- They said I need to go at the federal police and ask for a "permanent authorization to marry"
- They said that since I don't speak portuguese I need to pay someone to traduct me (it's around R$600)

Is that true? Can I only learn the basic portuguese question in the marriage and just tell the necessary?.. because I am kind of poor and I would like to save as much money as possible.

Cdagal

Jul 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-07-2010
AOR Received.
24-08-2010
File Transfer...
09-08-2010
Med's Done....
23-04-2010
Interview........
11-11-2010
Passport Req..
11-11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
02-03-2011
Well, we just got married on March 31 in Fortaleza, and my Portuguese is terrible. I just made sure that I understood Brazil's property ruling system so I could make informed selection, and learned some basic phrases. We couldn't afford a translator either...so he just held my hand and helped me, one squeeze for sim (yes) and two squeezes for nao (no). There was alot of paperwork involved ahead of time, but on arrival, I just had to take my passport and entry document to the Policia Federal and be recognized, and sign a few things at the Cartorio. We were able to go a day ahead and have our witnesses sign, so at the wedding we were handed our marriage certificate without a delay :) Hope that helps a little!

I

iarblue

Anyone from theBrazil site get any news yet does anyone have a timeline.

leroadrunner

Apr 19, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2011
AOR Received.
21-12-2011 In Process: 25-01-2012
File Transfer...
21-11-2011
Med's Done....
30-08-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-01-2012
Just came across this topic. Good information. I am basically posting so that I have a reference to the information here as I we are in the planning stages of the wedding (hopefully for xmas!) :)

Thanks everyone.

IntLove

Jan 12, 2010
Hi.

I am currently in Belo Horizonte - MG - Brazil, and my wedding date is set to be the 1 september. I am NOT married yet. This is what I had to do so far :

1. You need to get some documents from Canada before you can start the process of marrying in Brazil. Every cartório of Brazil function differently. Make sure you verify what document YOU need to register/get married at THAT cartório. You will probably need an original birth certificate (with names of both parents) and a declaration civil status that is not older than 3 months at the date of registration(or divorce certificate if you were married before). You need to send both of thoses documents at the Embassy of Brazil in Canada to make them legalized (look on the website of the embassy of Brazil covering your area in Canada to know how to do this).

2. I had to go to the federal police (there is a special office that handle procedures for foreigners). I needed the following documents : a photocopy of each modified pages of my passport, my original passport with the visa and the stamp and my card of entry (They give you this paper at the airport when you land in Brazil. I forgot to bring mine but the guy still manage to find that information with a bit of search in his system).

They made me fill a document(with the help of my girlfriend since it's all in portuguese) where I had to put some information about myself, my family and some details about my arrival. Once I gave him the paper, he made 2 copies of a document that declared I was able eligible to register a marriage in brazil. I had to write some declaration in portuguese and sign one of the two copies... he gave me the other.

3. I had to go to the cartório and ask for a list of traductors they recognize. My girlfriend called a few of them and saw which one was the more advantageous for the price/rapidity. I sent my documents there and I had the traduction from french to portuguese 1 week later for R$150.

4. With all my documents ready(certificate of the federal police, original birth certificate and the traduction, original declaration of civil status and the traduction, passport), it was the time to register the marriage. You need to register the marriage at least 1 month before the date you want to marry(for the publication of the banns). Bring all your documents and the documents of your brazilian partner(she can know what document is needed by taking information at the cartório). Also, you need two witness(that know both of you) that show their identity papers and sign some documents. I had to give them all my original documents and the traductions(except the passport of course) and to pay the fee of R$210.

When they had all the necessary papers, I had to tell them some information about my parents(date of birth, place of birth, ...) but I didn't need to prove them any of that information. They asked us for the date we wanted to marry and they gave us a receipt confirming we had paid for a marriage on that date.

Since my birth certificate is catholic, my name was written like this : FirstName Joseph FirstNameOfGodFather LastName. This is NOT my legal name in Québec. The girl at the cartório refused to let me register only with my legal name(name I have in my passport and on every official document), she said that I had to register with the name written on my birth certificate. I still could use my normal signature even if it did'nt have those names. Also, in this particular cartório, I did'nt need to prove that I was single(they didn't ask my declaration of civil status)... so I could have registered a marriage even if I was already married in Canada.

5. On the new paper the cartório gave us, we had to enter the information of two witness that would be present the day of the marriage. We filled that paper ourselves(after confirming some information with those two persons) since it didn't need any signature. We brought photocopies of their identity card along with that paper to the cartório. The marriage was finally confirmed and they told us the time the marriage would be(Yes, they only told us the day when we registered... and they told us the time after that new paper). They asked if I needed a translator.. but we answered no and we hope we didn't do a mistake.

This is all you need to know for the days before the marriage... I don't know yet what happen on the day of the marriage since I am not married yet!

leroadrunner

Apr 19, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2011
AOR Received.
21-12-2011 In Process: 25-01-2012
File Transfer...
21-11-2011
Med's Done....
30-08-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-01-2012
Thanks for the detailed info! Keep us posted!

Boa sorte!

pauline regina

Star Member
Sep 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
sao paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
3-06-2010
AOR Received.
13-09-2010
File Transfer...
13-09-2010
Med's Done....
10-05-2010
Passport Req..
praying
VISA ISSUED...
praying more
LANDED..........
just hoping for the best...
After you received the AOR letter, how long did it take for the immigration office give you a visa? i am still waiting....

pauline regina

Star Member
Sep 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
sao paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
3-06-2010
AOR Received.
13-09-2010
File Transfer...
13-09-2010
Med's Done....
10-05-2010
Passport Req..
praying
VISA ISSUED...
praying more
LANDED..........
just hoping for the best...
iarblue said:
Anyone from theBrazil site get any news yet does anyone have a timeline.
mone is taking too long. got the AOR letter sept.3, until now...nothing....xmas is just around the corner...Lord, i´ll spend it alone without my husband if i have no news....

Cdagal

Jul 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-07-2010
AOR Received.
24-08-2010
File Transfer...
09-08-2010
Med's Done....
23-04-2010
Interview........
11-11-2010
Passport Req..
11-11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
02-03-2011
We have our interview in Sao Paulo on November 11, all together it has been very fast - we only applied in July. Have you tried ordering CAIPS notes - that may help you to know what is going on with your file?