+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage in brazil

I

iarblue

I got married in Brazil last April.2009 i got the long form birth certificate, proof of relationship status,police clearance,sent them top my wife she got them translated in Brazil,i got them notorized by the Brazilian consulate in canadafirst,then got my visa and that was it .
When i got my marriage certificate i returned to Canada and submitted it i never got any stamps on it from anyone oter than the curch in Brazil.
I submitted the papers Feb 3rd and was notified last week April 6th first stage done sent to Sao Paulo.

I

iarblue

Also i did not get anything from Brazil translated cause in Canada the only thing they do is aprove you to sponsor the deciusion whether she is approved comes from Brazil and they do read portugeese lol.I Translated nothing of hers or mine and i wasjust notified i was approved to sponsor and it was sent to Sao Paulo for the rest of he process.

I

iarblue

But i would love to know if anyone does how long it takes Sao Paulo to do their end i heard it was quick,but thats hear say.I would like to have an answer from someone who already did it thanks.

IntLove

Jan 12, 2010
iarblue said:
I got married in Brazil last April.2009 i got the long form birth certificate, proof of relationship status,police clearance,sent them top my wife she got them translated in Brazil,i got them notorized by the Brazilian consulate in canadafirst,then got my visa and that was it .
When i got my marriage certificate i returned to Canada and submitted it i never got any stamps on it from anyone oter than the curch in Brazil.
I submitted the papers Feb 3rd and was notified last week April 6th first stage done sent to Sao Paulo.
The stamp might not be necessary for the sponsorship, but it is(as far as I know) when you register the marriage in Canada(I think we are required to do that in order to change our relationship status).

I

iarblue

Well i dont know what you mean because we got nothing stamped and nothing translated after the marriage when we did the application for PR.And it was approved and sent to next stage.Who are you trying to change your marital status too.The government?and for what.I know nothing of this.I was just stating the only thing we gotr translated was the status form and if you divorced the want a copy of the court paper saying you are and needs to be translated as far as your long form birth certificate and passport does not have to be translated.
But do remember any document you are bringing to support you must be certified.Ask the Brazilian consulate you are using in canada where to get them certified.And es if you wan them translatesd quickly and proper send them to your wife via FED EX use nobody else they are quick DO NOT send anything by Canada Post or you willl not see it surface for at least 1.5 to 2 months SNAIL MAIL only use FED EX when your sending back and forth.
Get your Brazilian Visa ASAP f you dont already have it done.(Brazilian Consulate in Canada)
But understand in Brazil they do a civil marriage here.If you want a church wedding you do that on your own but here in Brazil you must do a civil one first.We id both then we got the letter from the pastor to include in our application.Good Luck :)

IntLove

Jan 12, 2010
Well I don't know how it works for the rest of Canada, but in Québec we need to inform the "Directeur de l'état civil" of any change in our civil status.

This is what they say on their website: "The celebrant sends the Declaration of marriage or civil union to the Directeur de l'état civil without delay for entry into the register of civil status."

MVK

Apr 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2009
Med's Request
27-07-2010
Interview........
27-07-2010
Passport Req..
27-07-2010
Hi Everyone,

My issue is a little different than the others on here, but given that it seems to be the only recent forum I could find dedicated to Brazil, I thought I would give it a go...

My husband and I were married in Canada over the summer, and our application for his PR to Canada was received in Brazil back in October. Since then he has decided to return to Brazil, as it had been two years since he had last seen his family, even though we knew he would not be allowed back in until his application was finalized. I was able to go for a short visit, but it has been 3 months since we have seen each other, and the waiting has been very hard.

I'm wondering - has anyone else out there gone through this process (i.e. married in Canada and applied for PR status in Brazil)? If so, how long did it take to receive word? Additionally, what are the steps that will follow? I've been told that he will have to send in his passport if/when he is approved - how long does that take? And finally, any advice on how we could possibly see each other sooner than later?

Thanks in advance,

MVK

I

iarblue

Well MVK you could go get a visa and go visit him in Brazil.But as foir how long they take is anyones guess,it could take 6 months to 12 as far as the sites says.the only true proof of how long it takes is when they say send in your passport then its done but until then who knows.

compuadnet

Star Member
Mar 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CIC-M Feb 2nd 2010
Doc's Request.
June 8th 2010 delivered June 24
AOR Received.
April 14th 2010
File Transfer...
Started processing in SP April 1st
Med's Done....
Recieved June 20th 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
17-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
08-09-2010
Hi everyone, I am currently doing immigration with my wife in Brazil... I am the sponsor and got married here in Brazil.

We are doing a outland application back to Quebec...

I am currently at the MICC stage in the process, and waiting for them to send me the CSQ (well sending her) for Sao Paulo to continue with our application.

As for my documents... In the Country Specific documents, the last version it stated that Portuguese documents from Brazil did not need to be translated to English or French. The new version just released as of 2 months ago does not mention that, only to have documents in english or french... so basically that speaks for itself. Translation in Canada is not cheap, and notarizing documents also... you are better off doing it in Brazil if you can.

For Directeur de l'état civil, I was told that upon my return to Canada to just bring my wedding document (translated) and change it then. I also went to the Canadian embassy in Sao Paulo and had them legalize it. If I remember correctly it cost 45 reais.

As stated earlier, any document that you bring from canada have it legalized at the Brazilian Embassy.. such as Birth certificate, passport, and your civil status from Directeur de l'état civil. Then when you arrive in Brazil, you will need to translate it and use them for what you need them for.

I needed my passport translated and legalized to apply for PR here in Brazil, and then the rest for the Notary.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Miryam

Star Member
Dec 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo, Brazil
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
November/2009
MVK said:
Hi Everyone,

My issue is a little different than the others on here, but given that it seems to be the only recent forum I could find dedicated to Brazil, I thought I would give it a go...

My husband and I were married in Canada over the summer, and our application for his PR to Canada was received in Brazil back in October. Since then he has decided to return to Brazil, as it had been two years since he had last seen his family, even though we knew he would not be allowed back in until his application was finalized. I was able to go for a short visit, but it has been 3 months since we have seen each other, and the waiting has been very hard.
Hi MVK,

Your husband can apply for a visitor visa in São Paulo and, if approved, wait in Canada for his sponsorship to be finalized. That's basically what I did, but I came to Canada before my husband applied for sponsorship - they knew he was about to apply though. 30 days before my status expired I applied for an extension and got it with no problems - in fact, they gave me much more time than I asked for -, so I could be with my husband during the whole processing time of the sponsorship.

MVK said:
I'm wondering - has anyone else out there gone through this process (i.e. married in Canada and applied for PR status in Brazil)? If so, how long did it take to receive word? Additionally, what are the steps that will follow? I've been told that he will have to send in his passport if/when he is approved - how long does that take? And finally, any advice on how we could possibly see each other sooner than later?

Thanks in advance,

MVK
We got married in the US, not Canada, then I flew to Brazil some time after, applied for a visitor visa and came to Canada.

The processing of my application at the Consulate in São Paulo took about 8 months and 1 week, from the day they received our file to the day they made the passport request, so it was a total of a little over 9 months. Typically, the processing takes from 6 to 9 months over there, but it varies. I do have a few friends with 2~3-month timelines, others with 4~5-month timelines...

His passport will be requested when they are ready to issue the visa. It may take up to 48 hours for the visa to be stamped once the Consulate have received his passport, but in special circumstances it can be sped up. Then, the passport with the visa plus the Confirmation of Permanent Residence will be mailed back to him. If he is out of the country the Consulate will only mail the passport + CoPR by FedEx; if he is in Brazil they will use Sedex.

Boa sorte. :)

Miryam

Star Member
Dec 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo, Brazil
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
November/2009
iarblue said:
Also i did not get anything from Brazil translated cause in Canada the only thing they do is aprove you to sponsor the deciusion whether she is approved comes from Brazil and they do read portugeese lol.I Translated nothing of hers or mine and i wasjust notified i was approved to sponsor and it was sent to Sao Paulo for the rest of he process.
Same here, we didn't send anything translated - everything was either in English or Portuguese. However, by the time we mailed the application (mid-February 2009) the instruction in the Appendix A was: "If your documents are not in English or French, send a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the originals. Note: If you are a national from Brazil and your documents are not in English, French or Portuguese, send a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the originals.".

In February 2010 there were some changes and now it says: "If your documents are not in English or French, include an accurate translation with a copy of the originals. Failure to do so could result in substantial processing delays.". And: "If there is a conflict between this guide and any other versions or publications, this document and its instructions take precedence and are to be followed." Here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3908e.pdf

Miryam

Star Member
Dec 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo, Brazil
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
November/2009
jaune said:
Hello everyone,

Sorry, my question is a bit off topic but I was looking for information about Brazil's yellow fever vaccination around, since you all went to Brazil, you must be able to clarify my question. I am wondering in order to enter Canada, does one need to have vaccine there or prior to going to Brazil? I'm going to Brazil this summer and saw on Canadian Health Ministry's website that the region (Para) where I'm going is one of the affected regions. I'm afraid I would be considered as a health threat when I re-enter Canada as a tourist, can anybody give me some advice?

Many thanks.
Hi Jaune,

I agree with IntLove that you should take the vaccine. People living in or visiting states like Pará are recommended to get a Yellow Fever vaccine. It should be taken at least 10 days before your trip - once you have been immunized, it is good for 10 years. Take your immunization record card with you as there is a possibility that the Federal Police will ask to see it (in case you are entering the country through Manaus), if you are entering the country through other cities, São Paulo for example, they won't ask to see your card, but it's good to have it anyways.

Where in Pará are you going to?

MVK

Apr 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2009
Med's Request
27-07-2010
Interview........
27-07-2010
Passport Req..
27-07-2010
Thanks for your advice Myriam. My husband was originally in Canada on a student visa, which expired prior to us even getting married. I consulted with an immigration lawyer who said that it would be pointless and costly for him to come back to Canada on a visitor visa, as he may have to return to Brazil for an interview - they advised us to have patients and wait it out.

How hard is it to obtain a visitor visa... and is it costly? Will there be a chance it would be refused because of his intention to land here?

Also... anyone know how likely it is my husband will be called for an interview? Does this happen more often than not?

Thanks again!

Miryam

Star Member
Dec 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo, Brazil
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
November/2009
MVK said:
Thanks for your advice Myriam. My husband was originally in Canada on a student visa, which expired prior to us even getting married. I consulted with an immigration lawyer who said that it would be pointless and costly for him to come back to Canada on a visitor visa, as he may have to return to Brazil for an interview - they advised us to have patients and wait it out.
You're welcome, MVK.

Was he illegal for a while? If yes, I don't know and probably would wait for the sponsorship to be finalized. If not, I would definitely try to apply.

I was very discouraged by a few (four) "despachantes" to apply for a visa since I wouldn't be able to prove any ties in Brazil other than family ties. My family lives very far away from São Paulo and I could not send the application by myself to the Consulate, only if I went there in person, so in my case a "despachante" was required for the delivery of the passport plus the paperwork - I filled the forms, gathered the documents, etc all by myself with absolutely no help from anyone though. The "despachante" who took my paperwork didn't deliver it for quite a while, telling me I would never get the visa and the denial would jeopardize my sponsorship. I insisted, the paperwork was delivered, and the Consulate approved my visitor visa really fast.

MVK said:
How hard is it to obtain a visitor visa... and is it costly? Will there be a chance it would be refused because of his intention to land here?
It may be hard for some, but I personally don't know any person with a canadian spouse having a visitor visa refused (even those who got up to three visa denials before getting married). It could also be expensive if he lives far away, not because of the visa fee itself, but because those who cannot deliver the paperwork at the Consulate by themselves are required to use the services of a "despachante", and the price varies. Here you can see the fees: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/brazil-bresil/visas/fees-frais.aspx?lang=eng

MVK said:
Also... anyone know how likely it is my husband will be called for an interview? Does this happen more often than not?

Thanks again!
They usually don't call people for interviews, mainly if there's some suspicion of marriage fraud. If they have other questions, they may call for an interview as well.

I

iarblue

Im not sure but i would think if you were in Canada and they asked for an interview im sure it could take place in Canada i would hope they would not want you to travel back to Brazil for an interview but i couldbe wrong its happened before lol.
My wife tried to get a visitors visa before we were married and was turned down as she had no real ties to Brazil.And if she couldbe approved nowthat we are married dont know.I think ill just wait till the process is over now.Im in Brazil now on a five week vacation visiting my wife and son,return to Toronto on May 10th,leave her here just incase they do require an interview,like i said before our papers were already sent to Sao Paulo so i guess its just when ever they get to it now, just a waiting game now.
Hope it goes through fast but if not thats ok too as i have lots to get together before she arrives in Toronto.
But i do wish all o you good luck and happiness..... ;D