+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage in brazil

IntLove

Jan 12, 2010
Hey

I am planning to go to Brazil in Belo Horizonte and marry my brazilian girlfriend this summer. I can only stay there 3 months so I need to not make any mistakes. I need your help to know what to do!

Before the marriage

I know I need theses documents :
- Passport
- Birth certificate with the name of my parents on it (I think it needs to be issued in Canada and stamped by the Brazil embassy in Canada)
- Declaration of civil status (I think it needs to be issued by the embassy of Canada in Brazil)

1. a) Can you confirm if those are the only documents I need?
b) Am I right about where to get the documents from?

2. Is anyone familiar with the normal delay for a consulate to produce the Declaration of civil status in Brazil?

After the marriage

I want to make my marriage legal in Canada and I want to sponsor my wife.

3. a) Do I need to get a stamp on my marriage certificate from the embassy of Canada in Brazil?
b) What are the delay I can expect on that?
c) Is it possible to go there in person to save some time.

4. Is it possible for me to start the sponsor right after the marriage or do I need to wait to come back in Canada to legalize the marriage there first?

5. Is there any document I should bring with me in Brazil to speed up the sponsorship process? (By speeding up the process I mean saving time shipping the documents)

6. What are the documents that we will need to fill in order to start the sponsorship ? (I would like to become familiar with them)

Cdagal

Jul 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-07-2010
AOR Received.
24-08-2010
File Transfer...
09-08-2010
Med's Done....
23-04-2010
Interview........
11-11-2010
Passport Req..
11-11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
02-03-2011
I am getting married this week in Fortaleza, to my Brazilian partner. I needed to have my long-form birth certificate and marriage search document (which is only valid for 90 days, I obtained it from my local government agent office) legalised at the Brazilian consulate here in Canada (cost was $58 for that service). Then they had to be sent to Brazil for translation by their government translator and authenticated (cost was 450 Reals). (Some Cartorios require you to do this with your passport as well, the one in Fortaleza let me do that once I arrive, and I just sent a photocopy). Submission and registry fees were another 350 Reals.

Once the documents were prepared my partner was able to do the submitting on my behalf (the man can do this, but if the woman is the one in Brazil, you must have a power of attorney signed so someone can submit on your behalf). The Cartorio in Fortaleza also required that I be recognized by the Policia Federal once I arrive, and all documents needed to be submitted at least 30 days (but not more than 60 days) prior to the wedding. I was told I did not need a criminal record search done until such time as I apply for permanent residence in Brazil.

Hope this helps a little...marriage in Brazil is pretty complex for sure, as are most things.

compuadnet

Star Member
Mar 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CIC-M Feb 2nd 2010
Doc's Request.
June 8th 2010 delivered June 24
AOR Received.
April 14th 2010
File Transfer...
Started processing in SP April 1st
Med's Done....
Recieved June 20th 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
17-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
08-09-2010
As stated by Cdagal, you need your birth certificate (issued by the government. Some peoples birth certificates are by the church and not valid, nor are the pocket/wallet sized ones).
Hi Intlove,

Again as stated, you need a government paper stating your civil/marital status. IE married, single etc. Make sure it says single!! :)

These 2 documents need to be certified/legalized at the Brazilian Embassy closest to you. They will stamp them to say they are.

I did this prior to arriving to Sao Paulo.

When I arrived, I had my passport legally translated, and birth certificate and civil status papers also.

I had time to do this with my spouse but if you only have 3 months, you need to do this and send your stuff to Brazil and have your partner start the process ASAP.

After the marriage, you are already legal in Canada as the Brazilian marriage certificate is valid in Canada. What I did though was I went to the Canadian Embassy in Sao Paulo and had them stamp it and signed (Basically the same thing you do at the Brazilian embassy in Canada for your birth certificate and civil status document)

Once you get back to Canada, you inform the government that you are married and show them the marriage certificate and voila you are good to go. (It will need to be translated in English or French also)

Read this...
http://www.casamentocivil.com.br/site/index.php/english/Religious-Wedding-With-Civil-Procedures.html

Hope this helps.

You going to sponsor your spouse from Canada or Brazil?

compuadnet

Star Member
Mar 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CIC-M Feb 2nd 2010
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
April 14th 2010
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Recieved June 20th 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
17-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
08-09-2010
Hi Cdagal,

I got a RCMP criminal search done in Canada before arriving in Sao Paulo. When I applied for Permanent Residence here in Sao Paulo, they didn't take it. They just finger printed me and that's it. I am still waiting for the Federal Police's unannounced visit that they do to verify that you are living with your spouse.

fibud

Star Member
Mar 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2010
AOR Received.
07-04-2010
Med's Done....
18-12-09
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
03-06-10
VISA ISSUED...
14-06-10
LANDED..........
23-06-10
hi all -

i am not planning a marriage anytime soon, and it will most likely take place in Canada but all this talk about marriage in Brazil - does this mean if we want to move to Brazil as a married couple and/or apply for my PR status in Brazil we would have to follow same procedures or would our Canadian marriage certificate suffice?

thanks

compuadnet

Star Member
Mar 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CIC-M Feb 2nd 2010
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
April 14th 2010
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Recieved June 20th 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
17-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
08-09-2010
Hi Fibud,

You would just need to Legalize/Certify your Canadian marriage certificate and Birth certificate at the Brazilian Embassy, and have them translated as with your passport. It Can be done in Canada or Brazil but I would suggest Brazil as its a little cheaper. At least it was for me.

As for the civil status document, If I remember correctly that was just for the Notary to show them I was indeed legally single in Canada to be able to marry in Brazil.

To do your PR in Brazil its basically the same thing in Canada but with a lot less paperwork.

Is your spouse Brazilian?

compuadnet

Star Member
Mar 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CIC-M Feb 2nd 2010
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
April 14th 2010
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Recieved June 20th 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
17-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
08-09-2010
After the marriage

I want to make my marriage legal in Canada and I want to sponsor my wife.

3. a) Do I need to get a stamp on my marriage certificate from the embassy of Canada in Brazil?
b) What are the delay I can expect on that?
c) Is it possible to go there in person to save some time.

4. Is it possible for me to start the sponsor right after the marriage or do I need to wait to come back in Canada to legalize the marriage there first?

5. Is there any document I should bring with me in Brazil to speed up the sponsorship process? (By speeding up the process I mean saving time shipping the documents)

6. What are the documents that we will need to fill in order to start the sponsorship ? (I would like to become familiar with them)
3:
Yes get it stamped at the Canadian Embassy (Costs $45 Reais I Think)
No Delay, just go there and ask them to stamp it (I was there for about 1 hour)

4: Yes you can sponsor after marriage from Brazil (Outland Application) Fulfil the application and forms and mail it to Canada Immigration.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

5: Nothing really you can do in Canada prior to shipping the docs...if you do not send them before arriving, you will wait that much longer to get them translated and also the delay at the notary.

6: see link above.

cheers!

fibud

Star Member
Mar 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2010
AOR Received.
07-04-2010
Med's Done....
18-12-09
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
03-06-10
VISA ISSUED...
14-06-10
LANDED..........
23-06-10
compuadnet said:
Hi Fibud,

You would just need to Legalize/Certify your Canadian marriage certificate and Birth certificate at the Brazilian Embassy, and have them translated as with your passport. It Can be done in Canada or Brazil but I would suggest Brazil as its a little cheaper. At least it was for me.

As for the civil status document, If I remember correctly that was just for the Notary to show them I was indeed legally single in Canada to be able to marry in Brazil.

To do your PR in Brazil its basically the same thing in Canada but with a lot less paperwork.

Is your spouse Brazilian?

ok thanks, that is good to know!

my common law partner is from Recife, and has lived in Canada for school almost 10 years. he goes back to visit family in Pernambuco and Bahia once every two years, and i have been lucky enough to visit as well.

he is just about to graduate from Concordia with an International Business degree so we have been discussing the potential of moving to Brazil as it has some good economic growth predictions... but that all depends on what happens over the next few years!

IntLove

Jan 12, 2010
compuadnet said:
As stated by Cdagal, you need your birth certificate (issued by the government. Some peoples birth certificates are by the church and not valid, nor are the pocket/wallet sized ones).
My birth certificate is the size of a normal sheet of paper and it has the name of both my parents, so I guess it is good.

compuadnet said:
These 2 documents need to be certified/legalized at the Brazilian Embassy closest to you. They will stamp them to say they are.

I did this prior to arriving to Sao Paulo.

When I arrived, I had my passport legally translated, and birth certificate and civil status papers also.
Ok. Good to know it is possible to legalize both documents in Canada. I read on brazil.angloinfo.com/countries/brazil/marriage.asp that the Declaration of Civil Status had to be issued by the local(in Brazil) embassy/consulate... so this is why I was unsure.

compuadnet said:
I had time to do this with my spouse but if you only have 3 months, you need to do this and send your stuff to Brazil and have your partner start the process ASAP.
So you are telling me that it could take more than 1 month to get my 2 documents traducted and notaried? I know there is a delay of 30 days between the registration of the intent to marry and the actual marriage.. so that leave me with around 1 month or 1 month ½ to get my stuff ready for the registration(of the intent to marry).

compuadnet said:
After the marriage, you are already legal in Canada as the Brazilian marriage certificate is valid in Canada. What I did though was I went to the Canadian Embassy in Sao Paulo and had them stamp it and signed (Basically the same thing you do at the Brazilian embassy in Canada for your birth certificate and civil status document)

Once you get back to Canada, you inform the government that you are married and show them the marriage certificate and voila you are good to go. (It will need to be translated in English or French also)
I will be in Belo Horizonte so a trip to São Paulo is kind of annoying. Is the stamp and signature required for the "Directeur de l'état civil" (since I am from Québec) to change my Civil Status to married?

compuadnet said:
Read this...
Thanks for the link. I am familiar with that website and I watched all the videos. I forgot to mention my marriage will NOT be religious. We will only do a civil marriage.

compuadnet said:
Hope this helps.

You going to sponsor your spouse from Canada or Brazil?
I have no idea how the sponsor works. I heard by reading a bit that it's better to do it from the outside.... but is that related to where I am or where my brazilian girlfriend is? Do I need to write the sponsor papers or does she need to fill that or do we need to both do that? I only wanted to save time by starting to write and signs all the paper in brazil and then see where we need to send everything.

Cdagal

Jul 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-07-2010
AOR Received.
24-08-2010
File Transfer...
09-08-2010
Med's Done....
23-04-2010
Interview........
11-11-2010
Passport Req..
11-11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
02-03-2011
I am sure it varies from state to state, but in Fortaleza, it only took 4 days for the translation and authentication of my documents.

compuadnet

Star Member
Mar 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CIC-M Feb 2nd 2010
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
April 14th 2010
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Recieved June 20th 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
17-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
08-09-2010
My translation I think took that 4-5, they were sent to Brazilia Ithink (Place my wife's work uses) :)

Im from Quebec also, and I got my "Directeur de l'état civil" with my marital status "single at the time" issued to me in Montreal.

I used that copy and had it legalized at the Brazil embassy in Montral.... that is what I did... as for getting it done at the Canadian Embassy in Brazil, hmmm not sure if they can do that since it's a Quebec document right?

Yup the big one is what you need with both names for the B.C.

Changing your civil status to married will have to be done upon your arrival to Quebec..at least that was what I was told back in Montreal and at the Canadian Embassy here in Sao Paulo.

For immigration..yes it depends on where your spouse will be..if they are in Canada with you.. you can apply from within Canada but if they are in Brazil do It from Brazil. It is recommended by many people to apply outside of Canada due to the fact that you can appeal if they are refused.

Im sure there are more reasons also but i think thats the big one..

Again look at the CIC link I put above, and read the guide...it will tell you a lot of information, and when you have questions just ask away here and the fine members of this site will help like mad people haha ;)

jaune

Star Member
Jul 19, 2009
Hello everyone,

Sorry, my question is a bit off topic but I was looking for information about Brazil's yellow fever vaccination around, since you all went to Brazil, you must be able to clarify my question. I am wondering in order to enter Canada, does one need to have vaccine there or prior to going to Brazil? I'm going to Brazil this summer and saw on Canadian Health Ministry's website that the region (Para) where I'm going is one of the affected regions. I'm afraid I would be considered as a health threat when I re-enter Canada as a tourist, can anybody give me some advice?

Many thanks.

IntLove

Jan 12, 2010
jaune said:
Hello everyone,

Sorry, my question is a bit off topic but I was looking for information about Brazil's yellow fever vaccination around, since you all went to Brazil, you must be able to clarify my question. I am wondering in order to enter Canada, does one need to have vaccine there or prior to going to Brazil? I'm going to Brazil this summer and saw on Canadian Health Ministry's website that the region (Para) where I'm going is one of the affected regions. I'm afraid I would be considered as a health threat when I re-enter Canada as a tourist, can anybody give me some advice?

Many thanks.
For your own safety, I would advise taking the vaccine before going there(That's what I did). I don't know what happens if you don't when you re-enter Canada.

IntLove

Jan 12, 2010
Hi compuadnet,

First thank you for all your answer. Since your situation seems quite similar to mine, I would like if you could answer even more questions. :p

1. a) Did you send both copies ("Birth Certificate" and "Attestation of marriage or civil union") at the Brazil embassy in montreal ?
b) Did you do this before any traduction ? (It seems yes but I just ask to make sure)
c) Is the 3 month lifetime for the Attestation only used for the marriage registration or even for the marriage itself(which can be 60 later than the registration)?

2. a) If you made your traduction in brazil, did you need to stamp and notarize the traducted copies in brazil ?
b) If yes, where did you got the stamp from ?

3. a) Did you need any extra copies of the require documents (passport, birth certificate, Attestation of marriage or civil union) for the marriage ?
b) Did you need any extra copies of the require documents for the sponsor ?

I read a bit on the CIC website for the steps to sponsor and I am still unsure where to start my sponsorship from. I will be in brazil for 3 months, but soon after the marriage it will be the time for me to come back to Québec. My wife will stay in brazil untill she has her citizenship and permanent residence.

4. a) Is it possible to apply from the outside even when I will be back in Québec or do I have to be outside of Québec for the whole time?
b) If I apply on the outside, is it possible for me to put my Canadian address so the documents are returned to me in Québec?

5. Any kind of explanation on the difference between outside and inside application... and what exactly does that mean would be very appreciated.

compuadnet

Star Member
Mar 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CIC-M Feb 2nd 2010
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
April 14th 2010
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Recieved June 20th 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
17-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
08-09-2010
IntLove said:
Hi compuadnet,

First thank you for all your answer. Since your situation seems quite similar to mine, I would like if you could answer even more questions. :p

1. a) Did you send both copies ("Birth Certificate" and "Attestation of marriage or civil union") at the Brazil embassy in montreal ?
b) Did you do this before any traduction ? (It seems yes but I just ask to make sure)
c) Is the 3 month lifetime for the Attestation only used for the marriage registration or even for the marriage itself(which can be 60 later than the registration)?

2. a) If you made your traduction in brazil, did you need to stamp and notarize the traducted copies in brazil ?
b) If yes, where did you got the stamp from ?

3. a) Did you need any extra copies of the require documents (passport, birth certificate, Attestation of marriage or civil union) for the marriage ?
b) Did you need any extra copies of the require documents for the sponsor ?

I read a bit on the CIC website for the steps to sponsor and I am still unsure where to start my sponsorship from. I will be in brazil for 3 months, but soon after the marriage it will be the time for me to come back to Québec. My wife will stay in brazil untill she has her citizenship and permanent residence.

4. a) Is it possible to apply from the outside even when I will be back in Québec or do I have to be outside of Québec for the whole time?
b) If I apply on the outside, is it possible for me to put my Canadian address so the documents are returned to me in Québec?

5. Any kind of explanation on the difference between outside and inside application... and what exactly does that mean would be very appreciated.
Hi, got your message :)

ok letsd see here

a: yes i did, i think it took 4-7 dayd...doesnt take too too long to do
b: no i did the translation in Brazil...since it shows a Brazilian Company rather than a candian one,,,
c: for the registration....

2:a yes i got them notarized here also. costs a few bucks at the notary
b: at the notary, there are a lot here :)

3: i made copies and notarized them just in case.. as i did a permanent resident application also...better to have more than not enough..photocopy, then notarize...trust me its cheap to notarise.. 3 reas per copy...
b: the only thing i needed was my marriage certificate notarized..and now you will need to have it translated in english or french to sponsor as it is in Portuguese. I think the application to sponsor wants your birth certificate.

4a: yes the application can be made from outside Canada/Quebec.... which is what I am doing now except I did not return to Quebec as I decided to stay with my wife until she got her permanent visa (can take 5-10 months if not longer) you can return and then you wait for your partner to get their permanent visa if all goes well and then they can join you in Canada.
b: yes you can put your Canadian address as that is where you live right and yes the documents mailed by CIC and Quebec will go to you in Canada.

5: Outside is when your partner applies for permanent resident visa from a country outside Canada. Like me, my wife lives in Brazil and is currently in Brazil..it doesnt matter where I am...its where they are....so for example... if you and your partner were currently in Canada together, you could apply to sponsor them from within Canada and do the whole process while living in Canada. But as i said if she is denied her visa then she would have to leave canada and you can not appeal the decision..it is final...

Now since she is in Brazil, it is recommended to apply from outside Canada as you can appeal if she is denied her visa..in your case like mine..apply from Brazil, when you are approved to sponsor CIC will mail the application back to Sao Paulo and process it there

..so you use the application and fillout all the paperwork that is required for "outisde Canada"..... you can either mail all the documentation back to Canada (mississauga ONT) or bring it all back to Canada with you and youmail it to them with Canada Post etc... you will save at least 100$ if not more....its cheaper to do that as Fedex DHL to send overseas is a little expensive.... then CIC will mail it to Brazil,and if needed they will interview her etc etc...

Thats about it... get your documents in Order..see the guide and country specific guide for Latin America.... your partner will need to gather 3 criminal papers also....they will know what to do for that..Police federal etc... and copy notarize translate RG card (ID) and their birth certificate also...read the guides... :)