+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage Fraud/of Convenience...now what?

prairiegurl

Jun 14, 2018
Hello everyone,

My sponsored husband and I had a messy argument where i actually slapped him becase of something he did to my daughter (fr previous marriage). He got me to confess to it on a text message and i wasnt going to lie because i did slap him, he never called the police like i told him too. SO HE LEFT and i havent heard from him since.
There was more to it than this. Im tryign to sum it up. It got to the point where his sexuality was questioned and he admitted to it (thinking just in anger) YES it got that messy.

We were married for 6 years but only lived together for 1ish year.

He received PR when he landed

What does it mean when you call Immigration regarding a POSSIBLE marriage of convenience/fraud and the officer says "yes that's exactly what it sounds like" and gives you a File# for Border Control.
I havent pursued it after that...its been 6 months

I still dont know what to do because im responsible for him for another 1.5years.

OPINIONS/SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

My sponsored husband and I had a messy argument where i actually slapped him becase of something he did to my daughter (fr previous marriage). He got me to confess to it on a text message and i wasnt going to lie because i did slap him, he never called the police like i told him too. SO HE LEFT and i havent heard from him since.
There was more to it than this. Im tryign to sum it up. It got to the point where his sexuality was questioned and he admitted to it (thinking just in anger) YES it got that messy.

What does it mean when you call Immigration regarding a POSSIBLE marriage of convenience/fraud and the officer says "yes that's exactly what it sounds like" and gives you a File# for Border Control.

I still dont know what to do because im responsible for him for another 1.5years.

OPINIONS/SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks
Marriage fraud investigations take a very long time to complete and the outcome is not going to be shared with you (it's regarded as confidential and will only be shared with your husband).

It doesn't mean anything if the person you speaks to says it sounds like marriage fraud. That's just the person answering the phone. There's still a long investigation that's completed once you call to report fraud.

To be honest, I think they will likely find in favour of your husband since you were married for six years (that's quite a long time). You should be prepared for the big possibility that they will simply see this as a marriage that has fallen apart (as marriages sometimes do) and allow your husband to keep his PR status.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

prairiegurl

Jun 14, 2018
Marriage fraud investigations take a very long time to complete and the outcome is not going to be shared with you (it's regarded as confidential and will only be shared with your husband).

It doesn't mean anything if the person you speaks to says it sounds like marriage fraud. That's just the person answering the phone. There's still a long investigation that's completed once you call to report fraud.

To be honest, I think they will likely find in favour of your husband since you were married for six years (that's quite a long time). You should be prepared for the big possibility that they will simply see this as a marriage that has fallen apart (as marriages sometimes do) and allow your husband to keep his PR status.
Like I said there was more to it. He was denied and we appealed...and why would they not inform me of anything when I'm responsible for him for the first 3 yrs? Plus I'm the one they opened this file with and the agent said I could call anytime for updates? From what the agent told me, from our story from beginning, just the fact alone he was denied the first time yada yada yada... he was coached and this was planned.
TY

prairiegurl

Jun 14, 2018
Like I said there was more to it. He was denied and we appealed...and why would they not inform me of anything when I'm responsible for him for the first 3 yrs? Plus I'm the one they opened this file with and the agent said I could call anytime for updates? From what the agent told me, from our story from beginning, just the fact alone he was denied the first time yada yada yada... he was coached and this was planned.
TY
And we're were apart for 5yrs out of the 6

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The agent also told me that if/when he'd try to leave the country there'd be a "red flag" on him.
That doesn't really make sense. Canada has no exit controls. It would make a lot more sense if they made that comment about him re-entering Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
TY
Based on privacy laws and previous experiences on this forum - we've seen they will only update the person who is being investigated.

Reactions: Buletruck

prairiegurl

Jun 14, 2018
Based on privacy laws and previous experiences on this forum - we've seen they will only update the person who is being investigated.
Then why would the agent give me file # with Border Control and tell me I can call for updates/info? And like I said our spousal contract said I am responsible for him for 3 yrs after landing NO MATTER WHAT, even divorce?! Confusing

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes you are responsible for him for 3 years to discourage people from participating in marriage fraud. If he got denied but you appealed you also helped him get to Canada. You could have stopped the sponsorship at anytime before he was granted PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Then why would the agent give me file # with Border Control and tell me I can call for updates/info? And like I said our spousal contract said I am responsible for him for 3 yrs after landing NO MATTER WHAT, even divorce?! Confusing
If you divorce, you are still responsible for him financially. The only way you would no longer be responsible for him is if his PR status was revoked. Otherwise you are on the hook for any social assistance he takes during the first three years.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hello everyone,

OPINIONS/SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks
Sorry to say but if you were married for 6 years, there is probably a slim to none chance they will pursue this as a marriage of convenience.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Last edited:

prairiegurl

Jun 14, 2018
That also makes no sense whatsoever. The revocation of PR status is complex and subject to appeal. There is no way that he could be forced to renounce his status in order to leave Canada. You either misunderstood or the "agent" that you were talking to has no clue.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html
The agent said they would stop him at the border and he would have top give it up willing, that he would charged. I never said forced!

prairiegurl

Jun 14, 2018
That also makes no sense whatsoever. The revocation of PR status is complex and subject to appeal. There is no way that he could be forced to renounce his status in order to leave Canada. You either misunderstood or the "agent" that you were talking to has no clue.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html
The agent said they would stop him at the border and he would have top give it up willing, that he would charged. I never said forced!