+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage Fraud Investigation

zeekay

Mar 29, 2012
Hi,

I had an interview for Marriage Fraud with CIC officer. In the interview I was told that I had a strong case. The officer also told me that she had confirmed about one of the Mis-representation done by my runaway wife. As I also told that my wife would be called upon for an interview. but within 5 days after my interview I received a letter from CIC that they would not report the case to Deputy Minister. The case is closed now. In this circumstances is there anything I could do to revive the case again.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Thanks

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
There's nothing further you can do. If you want to learn more, you could file an ATIP request ("access to information and privacy") but they may not tell you very much (since they won't tell you about HER, only about YOU.)

At this point my advice would be to move on with your life. I'm sorry that your marriage didn't work out. At least your estranged wife won't be able to sponsor anyone else to come to Canada for five years.

While you can speak with an attorney, the general rule is that after a year of separation you can file for a divorce. Sadly, you are still legally obligated to support her until the end of your sponsorship period, so if she applies for social assistance you will be legally obligated to repay that, even if it was a fraudulent marriage.

zeekay

Mar 29, 2012
Thank you computergeek. At the interview the officer told me she verified the misrepresentation by my runaway wife and it was correct. In that case why CIC is not taking any action and closed my case? Is there any category of misrepresentation where CIC can take action otherwise they don't do anything. I appreciate if you can answer.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
zeekay said:
Thank you computergeek. At the interview the officer told me she verified the misrepresentation by my runaway wife and it was correct. In that case why CIC is not taking any action and closed my case? Is there any category of misrepresentation where CIC can take action otherwise they don't do anything. I appreciate if you can answer.
It is likely a resource issue. They've determined that indeed it was marriage fraud but that it is not effective for them to go after her. I suspect they are focused on organized marriage fraud - where the fraud is encouraged and assisted by people in exchange for money. That would be similar to the PR and citizenship fraud case they've recently announced - they want to find those facilitating it and shut them down.

I'm just speculating here, but that would be my guess. In other words, they don't go after an isolated case such as yours so they can focus on fraud rings.

I am sorry this happened to you.

zeekay

Mar 29, 2012
I really appreciate computergeek for taking your time answering my questions. I have talked with my Immigration lawyer and told to contact my Local MP. My MP pushed the case before to Ministers of CIC and CBSA. And because of that CIC decided to investigate. I don't know if it's worth to contact my MP again at this point and inform him about the whole situation. Personally I don't like to do wild-goose chase. Any comments from you will be appreciated.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
zeekay said:
I really appreciate computergeek for taking your time answering my questions. I have talked with my Immigration lawyer and told to contact my Local MP. My MP pushed the case before to Ministers of CIC and CBSA. And because of that CIC decided to investigate. I don't know if it's worth to contact my MP again at this point and inform him about the whole situation. Personally I don't like to do wild-goose chase. Any comments from you will be appreciated.
You need to do what's best for you. However, you DO have one vested interest here: you have agreed to a spousal undertaking, so that if she were to apply for social assistance, you would still be legally obligated to pay those costs. I am not familiar with the case law in this area, but by deciding not to pursue her you might be able to argue that CIC/CBSA's actions effectively absolve you of your responsibility for that undertaking - this is something your attorney might know more about.

Other than that, my advice to you would be to move on with your life - get a divorce, find counseling to help you work through your feelings about this so that you can learn from it, let go of them and heal yourself. It is very easy to let something like this consume you and thus damage even more of your life than it already has.

I wish you the best - but now it is time for you to focus on taking care of yourself, not this woman who used you as she is not worthy of being your wife.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
zeekay said:
I have talked with my Immigration lawyer and told to contact my Local MP. My MP pushed the case before to Ministers of CIC and CBSA. And because of that CIC decided to investigate. I don't know if it's worth to contact my MP again at this point and inform him about the whole situation.
I'm sorry to hear about your case. My sympathies.
However, I think you should let your MP know what happened. You might just want to write a letter informing him that CIC interviewed you, decided it was a marriage fraud case, but also decided not to pursue it.

And then I would just let it go. Try to get on with your life. I've seen other people this happened to who years later were still trying to fight the gov't to get their spouse deported, were bitter and angry, and had not moved on at all. The reality is that CIC does not do much about these cases - probably because of a lack of resources.

So if my husband did this to me, I would report the facts to CIC ad the Canada Services Border Agency, let them decide what to do if anything, and then just try to get over him.

visita44

Jun 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 4, 2011
Med's Done....
Jan 27, 2011
Interview........
Mar 13, 2012
LANDED..........
Mar 13, 2012
You did the right thing to inform CIC on what happened to you. Even CIC did not pursue your wife, at least her name is known to CIC right now. Maybe she's now blacklisted and CBSA is just waiting for her to go out of the country and they will give her a hard time when she come back.

zeekay

Mar 29, 2012
Thank you so much computergeek, canadianwoman and visita44. I really appreciate your time and advice. Yes indeed it's time for me to heal and focus on other beautiful things in life. I always do believe in Good Karma and that gives me the inspiration to move forward. Thanks again from bottom of my heart.

JimM

Sep 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2012
computergeek said:
It is likely a resource issue. They've determined that indeed it was marriage fraud but that it is not effective for them to go after her. I suspect they are focused on organized marriage fraud - where the fraud is encouraged and assisted by people in exchange for money. That would be similar to the PR and citizenship fraud case they've recently announced - they want to find those facilitating it and shut them down.

I'm just speculating here, but that would be my guess. In other words, they don't go after an isolated case such as yours so they can focus on fraud rings.

I am sorry this happened to you.
This is something I don't understand, why they don't go after more cases like this. Yes I know going after them all or even a high percentage of them. But as it stands now, scammers know once they get their PR they're pretty much bullet proof. If a few more of them were arrested, fined/imprisoned, deported, etc it might make some of them consider the risk and not do it. As it stands now, there is no risk as nothing will be done to them, (though can be sure the government will come after their victim to get repaid if they go on government aid).

And how much in the way of resources can a few of these cases take? They have testimony and evidence against them, they just need the cops to arrest them and a prosecutor should be able to make an easy case against them, it's not likely to turn into a huge drawn out trial...

fergy15

Aug 2, 2013
Love on-line/off-line

Phrase “We met on the internet” more often replaces the familiar “Our friends have acquainted us”, “or” We met at work.” Growing circulation of the Internet space absorbs real life. The simple human emotions such as love, friendship, hate, joy are not exceptions: All these we carry on “our” pages in personal diaries, blogs or social networks. And it seems so good: technical progress, simplified methods of communication, easy getting of all kinds of information, meeting new people with no state or language borders. So in the depths of our life it happens that at one moment the man – foreigner finds beauty-Slav. Then one thing led to another, a few sleepless nights at the computer and she is ready to leave her native country and come to the foreign land to her sweetheart But there is one thing: the realities of life in Ukraine are so special (for example wide- known poverty of residents), That’s why all costs for such trips must be covered only by the receiving side – a foreigner. After all what could be easier for a foreigner to send a particular amount for the ticket of his beloved and make shorter the long-waited moment of the meeting? And here is where the fun begins: the money is sent by bank transfer, obtained by Ukrainian girl, a man is in anticipation of the arriving lady, but then she suddenly disappears (she is no longer responding to messages, phone calls, and even turns off the phone). Of course, only after several days of unsuccessful efforts to contact her man realizes that he is simply used, but rather used his wallet and naivety.

This situation is typical for our country and other countries of the former Soviet Union for several years, but the paradox is that foreigners still fall for the tricks of the so-called “beauty- swindler.” And why not: the police often does not respond to the statements of foreign citizens in similar situations, considering it a “civil dispute” and that finishes the criminal investigation. Although, if you dig a little deeper, even a seemingly hopeless situation can be solved by legal means. In accordance with Article 1212 of the Civil Code, a person who acquired the property or keep it on the account of another person (the victim) without a sufficient legal basis is required to return the property to the victim. Besides person is required to return the property even when the ground on which it was acquired has disappeared.

An important issue is the fact of confirmation of money transfer by foreigner and that the lady is a real one, not a “ghost” with a fake passport which is also common in post-Soviet surrounding. That is quite possible in accordance with the legal provisions to apply to the girl with a written demand to return the money and then file a suit in the court. Certainly you need to take into consideration the fact that she could spend that money or simply she could have no property to enforce the judgment.

In any case the choice of the solution of the problem depends only on the victim or constitutes themselves as a part.

Author: Kydalov Igor

gongdi

Star Member
Jan 14, 2013
It's disgusting that these scammers are allowed to enjoy the bounty of Canada, while leeching off of their well-meaning "host" spouse. I suppose the ensuing case to deport such a person would be too time costly and time consuming for Canadian authorities to deal with. It is probably not as uncommon as we like to think.

I would suggest continuing to spread the word with regards to this kind of scam in order to warn others who may possibly fall for something similar.

niana.j

May 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
actually there was a documentary on cbc a couple of years ago which highlighted the plight of a woman in a similar situation as you. she was relentless and managed to get her husband deported. if its bothering you that much- then pursue it and get her deported. at least write to your mp again and try calling cbc.

http://www.cireport.ca/2012/02/marriage-fraud-fode-mohamed-soumah-finally-deported-to-guinea-after-abandoning-wife-upon-arrival-in-canada.html

zeekay said:
Thank you so much computergeek, canadianwoman and visita44. I really appreciate your time and advice. Yes indeed it's time for me to heal and focus on other beautiful things in life. I always do believe in Good Karma and that gives me the inspiration to move forward. Thanks again from bottom of my heart.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
niana.j said:
actually there was a documentary on cbc a couple of years ago which highlighted the plight of a woman in a similar situation as you. she was relentless and managed to get her husband deported. if its bothering you that much- then pursue it and get her deported. at least write to your mp again and try calling cbc.

http://www.cireport.ca/2012/02/marriage-fraud-fode-mohamed-soumah-finally-deported-to-guinea-after-abandoning-wife-upon-arrival-in-canada.html
Further research on CANLII shows that this was not the final outcome, with Soumah ending up taking out an injunction against his sponsor. As far as I can tell, he was still in Canada as of the middle of 2012.

newbee1

Dec 20, 2013
Hi my husband fled away 3 weeks after coming to Canada and I complained to CBSA. They also sent me a letter saying that they have forwarded my case to CIC. Now My spouse is trying to contact me again saying he wants to be with me which makes me wonder that has immigration notified him that there is a complaint against him.
Can anyone tell me how does this procedure work? My case falls under new law of conditional PR as I applied after OCt 2012