+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage Certificate

jagpreetbajwa

Jun 29, 2016
Hi

I am from India (Punjab) and i am filling my Visitor visa application online, i see Marriage Certificate is required document in documents section.
I am married from past 35 years but i don't have marriage certificate, as a proof that i am married my wife's name in on my passport and mine is on her's and i have other documents like my service book and other official documents which clearly says i am married.
Will it be enough to show that i am married or do i need to produce my Marriage Certificate? if Yes, can any body help me how i can obtain one.

Just a note: i am from Punjab, rules may be different in other states of India.

Thanks

Reactions: Candy20

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi

I am from India (Punjab) and i am filling my Visitor visa application online, i see Marriage Certificate is required document in documents section.
I am married from past 35 years but i don't have marriage certificate, as a proof that i am married my wife's name in on my passport and mine is on her's and i have other documents like my service book and other official documents which clearly says i am married.
Will it be enough to show that i am married or do i need to produce my Marriage Certificate? if Yes, can any body help me how i can obtain one.

Thanks
A marriage certificate is not mandatory. Copies of your passports stating each other's names as spouses will suffice

jagpreetbajwa

Jun 29, 2016
A marriage certificate is not mandatory. Copies of your passports stating each other's names as spouses will suffice
Thank you so much Bryanna.

But in online application, under documents section it says that's required document.
So under that section, can i upload my passport copies? if so, do i need to give any explanation for that?

Thanks
Jagpreet

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
But in online application, under documents section it says that's required document.
So under that section, can i upload my passport copies? if so, do i need to give any explanation for that?
Yes, you can. You can include a small explanation that says you don't have/did not apply for a marriage certificate + your passport confirms you are married to your spouse.

BTW if your Canadian host is your child, you can upload his/her birth certificate that states the names of you and your wife the parents. This will also prove the relationship to your Canadian host

Roh4some

Jun 27, 2018
Hi There,

I do not know about visit visa but for PR they rejected my application stating that they do not accept you husband and wife based on the names in the passport. I am trying to get my marriage license arranged. Hope this helps.

Regards Rohan

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi There,

I do not know about visit visa but for PR they rejected my application stating that they do not accept you husband and wife based on the names in the passport. I am trying to get my marriage license arranged. Hope this helps.

Regards Rohan
A PR application is not the same as a visitor visa. A marriage certificate is necessary. And, in some cases, even evidence of a genuine relationship must be submitted.

For a visitor visa, IRCC will accept even the birth certificate of a child as proof that the parents are married/in a relationship

manishmo

Feb 28, 2020
Hi

Thanks
So did you finally upload the two passports with a note and did it work? I am in very similar situation,

@trigger

Jun 24, 2019
I also used passports instead of marriage certificate for the first application and then for extension requests.

Candy20

Star Member
Mar 4, 2016
Delhi
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
CIC New Delhi
Hi

Thanks

Dear Jagpreet Bajwa,

In your case - Marriage Certificate not mandate - Alternatively you can attach the front and back PPT copy of you and spouse !

Thankyou !

arjred

Jan 29, 2020
hi pathan19,
I am in a similar situation. Are there any other alternative docs to submit as marriage evidence for PR apart from marriage registered doc.

Thanks in advance.

MAIL2SUNDAREEE

Star Member
Oct 25, 2019
hi pathan19,
I am in a similar situation. Are there any other alternative docs to submit as marriage evidence for PR apart from marriage registered doc.

Thanks in advance.
In India (Tamilnadu), we got marriage certificate in 24 hours (with all necessary documents submitted.]
So it is better to obtain Marriage Certificate.
For inland application, I am not sure of the process.