+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage certificate for parents super/visitor visa

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
My mothers educations docs ( 10th and grad marksheet) have her name with KOUR as surname.
voter id card , aadhar card , marriage certificate, and all bank passbooks have KAUR in her surname
On basis of educational cert, the passport also had KOUR.
I applied for the new passport already last wednesday. Hope that comes back soon, as i could not do a tatkal application.
I'm assuming she has applied for a new passport to change her name from 'KOUR' to 'KAUR', right?

I would not bother about changing the 'KOUR' in her education certificates.

Basically, all TRV-related documents (her passport, marriage certificate, and bank statements) are being maintained/changed to 'KAUR' = the same as spouse name in your dad's and your passports, right?

Does she own property? If yes, in what name? It's getting a bit complicated/expensive to change all the documents. If her property ownership has 'KOUR' then don't change it as it would be quite expensive and too much of hassle.

However, a new twist, her PAN card had KAUR mentioned as her middle name and a third family name KUKKAL, and the same was used by the tax agent in her income tax returns too.
I think changing her name on the Income Tax Returns will not be possible for past financial years for which ITRs were filed. For her TRVs, you can submit her ITRs with the name it states.

You can change it for the new financial year if her PAN is corrected. Was she able to link her PAN to her Aadhar card with the mismatch of surnames? Linking of these two documents was mandatory before June 30. Not sure if they have extended the deadline.

Next, my sister said that she should be able to jointly sponsor my dad's application, along with her husband. Hope it would be fine if they can show amount in any of their accounts in that case.
In this case, your sister and brother-in-law must both sign the 'Letter of Financial Support' + copy of their marriage certificate + 6 months' bank statements (should match their income) + their ITRs + your sister's birth certificate which state your parents' names (hope there's no 'KOUR' or 'KAUR' mismatch here :):) )

If possible, your sis/bil can buy separate Forex cards (can be encashed if not used/partly used) for each of your parents + include the documents I have suggested as co-supporters of your parents' visit (to indicate a really solid financial situation)

So, I decide that i will have most documentation ready and as soon as my parents passport comes back in 2-3 weeks, i will apply for my father's TRV application separately showing my sister's sponsorship as well as my own financial docs, and also file my mother's super visa application showing only my financial documents , at the same time. Does that sound good, or I should apply for my father's TRV only first, and wait for it to approve and then apply for my mothers super visa.
The second option sounds better. Your dad can also show your mom as the family tie to return to.

In that case if I find that they ask for my father's medical check as well before approving his TRV, I could think of withdrawing his TRV and applying for super visa along with my mother's too.

Please guide
Yes

Kawal_supervisa

Star Member
Jan 29, 2017
I'm assuming she has applied for a new passport to change her name from 'KOUR' to 'KAUR', right?

I would not bother about changing the 'KOUR' in her education certificates.

Basically, all TRV-related documents (her passport, marriage certificate, and bank statements) are being maintained/changed to 'KAUR' = the same as spouse name in your dad's and your passports, right?

Does she own property? If yes, in what name? It's getting a bit complicated/expensive to change all the documents. If her property ownership has 'KOUR' then don't change it as it would be quite expensive and too much of hassle.

I think changing her name on the Income Tax Returns will not be possible for past financial years for which ITRs were filed. For her TRVs, you can submit her ITRs with the name it states.

You can change it for the new financial year if her PAN is corrected. Was she able to link her PAN to her Aadhar card with the mismatch of surnames? Linking of these two documents was mandatory before June 30. Not sure if they have extended the deadline.

In this case, your sister and brother-in-law must both sign the 'Letter of Financial Support' + copy of their marriage certificate + 6 months' bank statements (should match their income) + their ITRs + your sister's birth certificate which state your parents' names (hope there's no 'KOUR' or 'KAUR' mismatch here :):) )

If possible, your sis/bil can buy separate Forex cards (can be encashed if not used/partly used) for each of your parents + include the documents I have suggested as co-supporters of your parents' visit (to indicate a really solid financial situation)

The second option sounds better. Your dad can also show your mom as the family tie to return to.

Yes
The property registry is in Punjabi language, so I thought it is good already. Does it need to have a translation done? From where? How long does it take? Is it needed to be attached in my fathers TRV application as well as my mother's super visa application later?

I am still trying to check on the name change in income tax returns. I too have the same info that probably the current year can be changed. The paperless application for name change in PAN was almost done, but gave error in end ( even after entering the OTP she received on her registered mobile no).

When you say that their bank statements should match their income, do you mean to say that they would need to show their salary accounts, with all income getting saved in it. As I already told that quite much of their salaries get spent in expanses and house loan. But he probably has some saving in some other third account which they could be able to show. In this case they would need to show all three accounts?, or just the account statements with saving is fine, along with 3 year ITR and Letter of Financial Support. Does she/both need to show the salary statements too? She has correct parents name in her passport, and I hope this should be sufficient in place of birth cert too. Even the birth certificate I have is in Hindi language, so I planned to use only my passport as the proof of address. We used the same for my husbands in my mom-in-laws application.

Next, I plan to use her sponsorship letter only for the TRV application of my father and not for the super visa application of my mother later, as I believe super visa does not require financial docs of applicant, but requires the docs of child living in Canada-T4, NOA, salary statements, bank statements etc . Hope that sounds good.

Next, in the application forms they have a form - Will your family member ( spouse here) accompany you to Canada. Hope I would answer that to No in both applications, even in case of my mothers Super visa if my fathers already gets approved.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
The property registry is in Punjabi language, so I thought it is good already. Does it need to have a translation done? From where? How long does it take?
Yes, certified translation into English is necessary.

You'll have to include a certified copy of the Punjabi original + the translated English version + an affidavit from the translator stating it is true and correct.

Is it needed to be attached in my fathers TRV application as well as my mother's super visa application later?
It depends on who owns the property.

When you say that their bank statements should match their income, do you mean to say that they would need to show their salary accounts, with all income getting saved in it.
No. It means, for example, someone earns INR 10,00,000 but the bank balance shows a balance of INR 15,00,000 then the source of that extra INR 5,00,000 will be considered as borrowed if it is not earned from any other source (rental income, dividends, sale of property, etc)

As I already told that quite much of their salaries get spent in expanses and house loan. But he probably has some saving in some other third account which they could be able to show. In this case they would need to show all three accounts?, or just the account statements with saving is fine, along with 3 year ITR and Letter of Financial Support.
He can include the statement of the third account + ITRs etc

Does she/both need to show the salary statements too?
No, just the documents which I had suggested in my previous post

[/quote]She has correct parents name in her passport, and I hope this should be sufficient in place of birth cert too. [/quote]
That's okay.

Next, I plan to use her sponsorship letter only for the TRV application of my father and not for the super visa application of my mother later, as I believe super visa does not require financial docs of applicant, but requires the docs of child living in Canada-T4, NOA, salary statements, bank statements etc . Hope that sounds good.
That's correct.

Next, in the application forms they have a form - Will your family member ( spouse here) accompany you to Canada. Hope I would answer that to No in both applications, even in case of my mothers Super visa if my fathers already gets approved.
No, for both applications

flyhigh5Star

Jul 3, 2017
Hi Friends,

I am planning to apply for Super visa for my father and mother who do not have a history of travelling out of India at all. My query is if their marriage certificate is a compulsory document for application, or their own passport with each other name on it will also do.
Please share your experience and sugestion
Their passport copies works
and ofcourse your passport as well

Kawal_supervisa

Star Member
Jan 29, 2017
Yes, certified translation into English is necessary.

You'll have to include a certified copy of the Punjabi original + the translated English version + an affidavit from the translator stating it is true and correct.

It depends on who owns the property.

No. It means, for example, someone earns INR 10,00,000 but the bank balance shows a balance of INR 15,00,000 then the source of that extra INR 5,00,000 will be considered as borrowed if it is not earned from any other source (rental income, dividends, sale of property, etc)

He can include the statement of the third account + ITRs etc

No, just the documents which I had suggested in my previous post
She has correct parents name in her passport, and I hope this should be sufficient in place of birth cert too. [/quote]
That's okay.

That's correct.

No, for both applications[/QUOTE]
Thanks Bryanna,

I today applied for name correction in PAN card of my mother. Hope that will help correct her name in her latest ITR.

Property is owned by my mother, because they needed to pay lesser tax in that case. So, it does not need to be attached in my fathers application at all? and the only tie to India he can show is my mother and my brother and sister and their kids? My father and mother have some FDs separately owned and some joint (I think more in name of my mother again). Since they don't have to bother about tax, i assume none of them are tax saving FDs. I was thinking to attach copies of all FDs and last 3 year ITRs for both in both their applications, and attach a letter from the other that the amount can be readily used by other if needed.

One more query. Is it possible/good to apply for Super visa even if person already has TRV. On a positive thought, if I find that my father gets a visitor visa, can i still apply for super visa for him as well immediately after receiving his TRV stamp, at the same time as applying for super visa for my mother, either as combined application or separate?

What goes on in my mind is that there is a probability that cic still asks him to undergo CIC medical exam before granting him TRV (even though I plan to apply TRV for him just to avoid the medical exam), and suppose he goes through it and passes and gets the visa, it would then be much easier to get the super visa for him too.

Another thought is if that I could withdraw his TRV application if i find that CIC requested for medical exam in case of TRV, and quickly apply for Super visa instead of waiting for CIC to grant him TRV first.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Property is owned by my mother, because they needed to pay lesser tax in that case. So, it does not need to be attached in my fathers application at all?
No, your dad cannot show it as his asset. He could have shown it if (hypothetical situation) your mom was already visiting on a super visa and your dad had a power of attorney for it.

and the only tie to India he can show is my mother and my brother and sister and their kids?
Your sister and her kids won't count as dependent family ties. Is your brother married? I seem to have missed this.

Since they don't have to bother about tax, i assume none of them are tax saving FDs. I was thinking to attach copies of all FDs and last 3 year ITRs for both in both their applications, and attach a letter from the other that the amount can be readily used by other if needed.
You can try this.

But list out which FDs are owned by whom + FD interest certificate(s) issued by the bank + the bank letter that the FDs are not mortgaged

One more query. Is it possible/good to apply for Super visa even if person already has TRV.
Yes, that's possible

On a positive thought, if I find that my father gets a visitor visa, can i still apply for super visa for him as well immediately after receiving his TRV stamp, at the same time as applying for super visa for my mother, either as combined application or separate?
I would not try this.

I suggest he should visit on the TRV first time. He can extend his stay (he would have to go through medicals here). Or return to India and apply for a super visa. Do keep in mind the medicals for super visas.

What goes on in my mind is that there is a probability that cic still asks him to undergo CIC medical exam before granting him TRV (even though I plan to apply TRV for him just to avoid the medical exam), and suppose he goes through it and passes and gets the visa, it would then be much easier to get the super visa for him too.
Medicals for his TRV: Maybe/maybe not

Lets cross those bridges when we get to them :)

Kawal_supervisa

Star Member
Jan 29, 2017
No, your dad cannot show it as his asset. He could have shown it if (hypothetical situation) your mom was already visiting on a super visa and your dad had a power of attorney for it.

Your sister and her kids won't count as dependent family ties. Is your brother married? I seem to have missed this.

You can try this.

But list out which FDs are owned by whom + FD interest certificate(s) issued by the bank + the bank letter that the FDs are not mortgaged

Yes, that's possible

I would not try this.

I suggest he should visit on the TRV first time. He can extend his stay (he would have to go through medicals here). Or return to India and apply for a super visa. Do keep in mind the medicals for super visas.

Medicals for his TRV: Maybe/maybe not

Lets cross those bridges when we get to them :)

Good news . The police verification of my parents is done yesterday. Hope passport comes soon now.

Yes my brother is married, lives at same address and had a 2 year old daughter too, whom my parents look after when he and his wife is out for work. I don't want to ask him to show his papers to sponsor him because I know he and wife don't earn so good and won't have a lot of saving. Does that make a difference in his application?

Kawal_supervisa

Star Member
Jan 29, 2017
Good news . The police verification of my parents is done yesterday. Hope passport comes soon now.

Yes my brother is married, lives at same address and had a 2 year old daughter too, whom my parents look after when he and his wife is out for work. I don't want to ask him to show his papers to sponsor him because I know he and wife don't earn so good and won't have a lot of saving. Does that make a difference in his application?
Hi Bryanna,

My parents just asked - what to say to bank to get these letters. It seems from her words that she is getting some interest regularly. She told that almost all FDs are renewed already or about to this month. So we need certification of interest they received in last year or what they are about to receive this year. Regarding, FDs being non- mortgaged, is it a common letter provided by bank in a particular format stating all of the persons FD in bank and telling that they can be liquidated at any time. Is it not something that is already mentioned on top of the FD itself ? Sorry I am not familiar with these terms, nor my husband ever got these papers from bank whenever he prepared any visa documents in past in India?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Actually, police clearance was not required as your mom already has a valid passport.

No, it does not make a difference

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Bryanna,

My parents just asked - what to say to bank to get these letters. It seems from her words that she is getting some interest regularly. She told that almost all FDs are renewed already or about to this month. So we need certification of interest they received in last year or what they are about to receive this year. Regarding, FDs being non- mortgaged, is it a common letter provided by bank in a particular format stating all of the persons FD in bank and telling that they can be liquidated at any time. Is it not something that is already mentioned on top of the FD itself ? Sorry I am not familiar with these terms, nor my husband ever got these papers from bank whenever he prepared any visa documents in past in India?
Your parents must ask the bank(s) for FD Interest Certificates. Banks have a standard format for these. It should be signed/stamped.

As for the letter: It's a tabular format of all FD details + sole/joint owner + date of maturity + maturity amount plus one sentence at the end that says these no loans have been taken against these FDs. If it's a hassle to prepare this document then drop it

Kawal_supervisa

Star Member
Jan 29, 2017
Your parents must ask the bank(s) for FD Interest Certificates. Banks have a standard format for these. It should be signed/stamped.

As for the letter: It's a tabular format of all FD details + sole/joint owner + date of maturity + maturity amount plus one sentence at the end that says these no loans have been taken against these FDs. If it's a hassle to prepare this document then drop it

Hi Bryanna,

Came to know that 2 biggest FD are locked. One of them in my mothers name was started last year and can be broken by paying some penalty. The other one they did this year in fathers name cannot probably be before one year . Should they be breaking it, which will automatically put the amount in their joint account. Its source can be shown that it came from FD, and anybody who is travelling can do so at any time i believe. But I still don't understand the meaning of non-mortgaged. My husband explained me that only tax saving FDs are locked and they should not have any such, because they are already tax exempt.
Did we need t o have them as not locked or no loan against them as you mentioned in ur previous post. I can gather details of all their FDs, prepare a table in a letter kind document and send them to get it signed and stamped, no proble. But, for the FDs owned by my mother only, can that smae letter also state that the same can be used by my father anytime whenever he needs.

The interest certs are for the past year interests or for current. From one bank they got some last year interest statements when she asked for it.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Came to know that 2 biggest FD are locked. One of them in my mothers name was started last year and can be broken by paying some penalty.
With FD interest rates going south + the penalty, do NOT encash this FD. In any case, your sis/bil will provide a Letter of Financial Support + other supporting documents.

The other one they did this year in fathers name cannot probably be before one year . Should they be breaking it, which will automatically put the amount in their joint account. Its source can be shown that it came from FD, and anybody who is travelling can do so at any time i believe. But I still don't understand the meaning of non-mortgaged.
It's like an OD (over draft) or a loan taken against an FD with open-dated repayment time frames.

My husband explained me that only tax saving FDs are locked and they should not have any such, because they are already tax exempt.
Your husband is wrong. In the past, people used to invest in different banks or multiple branches of the same bank to avoid paying taxes. With core banking in place + cross linking of all bank accounts through PAN and Aadhar, this loophole has been plugged.

Even FDs which are locked/interest on an accrual basis which is credited on maturity are subject to TDS (tax at source) if the interest earned exceeds INR 10,000. Banks will deduct 10% if the PAN (and Form 15G and/or Form 15H) is provided, else interest exceeding INR 10,000 will be taxed at 20% if no PAN is provided.

The only financial investments which are tax-free (even on maturity) are PPFs and the like (government investments).

Did we need t o have them as not locked or no loan against them as you mentioned in ur previous post. I can gather details of all their FDs, prepare a table in a letter kind document and send them to get it signed and stamped, no proble. But, for the FDs owned by my mother only, can that smae letter also state that the same can be used by my father anytime whenever he needs.
Okay

The interest certs are for the past year interests or for current. From one bank they got some last year interest statements when she asked for it.
Do ask the bank for FD Interest Certificate until the last financial quarter. This is easy and their banks would know this

Kawal_supervisa

Star Member
Jan 29, 2017
With FD interest rates going south + the penalty, do NOT encash this FD. In any case, your sis/bil will provide a Letter of Financial Support + other supporting documents.

It's like an OD (over draft) or a loan taken against an FD with open-dated repayment time frames.

Your husband is wrong. In the past, people used to invest in different banks or multiple branches of the same bank to avoid paying taxes. With core banking in place + cross linking of all bank accounts through PAN and Aadhar, this loophole has been plugged.

Even FDs which are locked/interest on an accrual basis which is credited on maturity are subject to TDS (tax at source) if the interest earned exceeds INR 10,000. Banks will deduct 10% if the PAN (and Form 15G and/or Form 15H) is provided, else interest exceeding INR 10,000 will be taxed at 20% if no PAN is provided.

The only financial investments which are tax-free (even on maturity) are PPFs and the like (government investments).

Okay

Do ask the bank for FD Interest Certificate until the last financial quarter. This is easy and their banks would know this

Thanks Bryanna,

Will prepare documents as guided by you.

One small query, if my father does not know DOB of his parents or some of his brother and sister, can those columns be left blank in Family info form, or be filled with ****/**/**

Kawal_supervisa

Star Member
Jan 29, 2017
Thanks Bryanna,

From your last reply I assume you replied Yes for filling ****/**/** in DOB of unknows.

Another question- What should be the filled in the marital status column of a person who is already dead, in the family info form. I already filled in Deceased in the current occupation column.
3 options -
1-leave blank
2- Deceased (at present)
3- Married/widowed at time of death.

Also, In my mother's Application form, should she fill in the 2 names that are there on her other documents in the question - Have you used any other name (Nickname, maiden name, alias etc)?