+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage before Landing in Canada

MohamedWalid

Oct 27, 2017
Hi All,

I know that this may seem similar to other threads, but I couldn't find some information in the available related threads.

I received my COPR and PR visa, which is valid until June, 2018. I am planning to get married and was wondering, if i do before landing, how long my current application will roughly take after adding my spouse.

Is this advisable? Or I better land first, go home for marriage, then sponsor later?

I am seeking help from those who have gone through the same situation under express entry system. Or those who are fully aware of the rules and can give estimates of the processing time.

Your help is highly appreciated!

Reactions: superspecial90

superspecial90

Aug 13, 2017
Hi All,

I know that this may seem similar to other threads, but I couldn't find some information in the available related threads.

I received my COPR and PR visa, which is valid until June, 2018. I am planning to get married and was wondering, if i do before landing, how long my current application will roughly take after adding my spouse.

Is this advisable? Or I better land first, go home for marriage, then sponsor later?

I am seeking help from those who have gone through the same situation under express entry system. Or those who are fully aware of the rules and can give estimates of the processing time.

It will not take much longer to get the visa for your spouse whenever you apply for it.
A friend of mine applied after getting his PR and his wife got her visa within 3 months!
Do whichever is suitable for you and you can expect to have your spouse in Canada definitely within 6 months!

Good luck!

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
Hi All,

If you add your spouse before you land your spouse will then accompany you as a permanent resident and you both can do landing at the same time. Your application may take couple months but it is better than sponsorship. Where on other end Sponsorship can take upto a year for processing.

MohamedWalid

Oct 27, 2017
If you add your spouse before you land your spouse will then accompany you as a permanent resident and you both can do landing at the same time. Your application may take couple months but it is better than sponsorship. Where on other end Sponsorship can take upto a year for processing.
Hi,
Are you sure of that? Have you seen similar cases? Because most of the responses I received mention that a spouse can't be added after the PR application is approved. And my case is that my application is approved (cope received) and I just need to do the landing.

TanakaM

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-04-17
Hi,
Are you sure of that? Have you seen similar cases? Because most of the responses I received mention that a spouse can't be added after the PR application is approved. And my case is that my application is approved (cope received) and I just need to do the landing.
You can add a family member at any stage before the 'confirmation' of your PR. The COPR you have now is not confirmed until you land in Canada at it is signed. So @Navprateek is right.

regards

TanakaM

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-04-17
In addition, the statement below means you have to inform CIC of your marriage whether or not you want to add your spouse to your application or not as she must be examined.

"All family members must be examined as part of the e-APR, whether they are accompanying the principal applicant or not. Family members can be added to the application at any time during the process, including after the visa is issued, but prior to obtaining permanent resident status. Applicants are instructed to inform IRCC immediately if their family composition has changed (e.g., birth of a child, marriage, divorce)."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/refuse.asp

Therefore, I would say get married, add her, wait a few weeks or months, then move to Canada together.

regards

Reactions: MohamedWalid

Tammy91

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
I suggest you add your spouse. It will take 6-8 weeks. I got it for my husbandbin 6 weeks.
This way both of you can move together.

MohamedWalid

Oct 27, 2017
You can add a family member at any stage before the 'confirmation' of your PR. The COPR you have now is not confirmed until you land in Canada at it is signed. So @Navprateek is right.

regards
Thanks for your input. So, you mean that if I get married now, Inform CIC, return my copr, and add my spouse, will both of us get new copr and visas to immigrate to Canada together?

In addition, the statement below means you have to inform CIC of your marriage whether or not you want to add your spouse to your application or not as she must be examined.

"All family members must be examined as part of the e-APR, whether they are accompanying the principal applicant or not. Family members can be added to the application at any time during the process, including after the visa is issued, but prior to obtaining permanent resident status. Applicants are instructed to inform IRCC immediately if their family composition has changed (e.g., birth of a child, marriage, divorce)."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/refuse.asp

Therefore, I would say get married, add her, wait a few weeks or months, then move to Canada together.

regards
Hi,
Thank you for your input and for the pointers you gave... What makes me skeptical about marrying before landing the following comment which I received from a champion member here in another thread. The comment is
"If PPR is issued before spouse medicals results are received (this includes not including spouse during application) then you will have to sponsor a spouse. An alternative is to ask IRCC to add your spouse to your application before you submit your passport for stamping and in that case, IRCC may deffer PPR and allow you to add spouse."

So, this comment made me totally confused.

I understand that I can (must) inform CIC about the marital status change, but if I will have to sponsor my spouse in either case, then it's better to delay the marriage until after landing.

This is why I am seeking help from people who has done it themselves.

All the best!

MohamedWalid

Oct 27, 2017
I suggest you add your spouse. It will take 6-8 weeks. I got it for my husbandbin 6 weeks.
This way both of you can move together.
Hi,
Thanks for your input. It's great that I found someone who has been through the same situation. Would you please provide more information. I would be really happy if you could answer the following questions...
1- was your application under express entry FSW and you added your spouse after receiving the COPR?

2- I would highly appreciate it if you could share the CIC response to your marital status change email... Of course, you can hide/remove confidential information in that email.

Thanks a lot in advance!

TanakaM

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-04-17
Thanks for your input. So, you mean that if I get married now, Inform CIC, return my copr, and add my spouse, will both of us get new copr and visas to immigrate to Canada together?

Hi,
Thank you for your input and for the pointers you gave... What makes me skeptical about marrying before landing the following comment which I received from a champion member here in another thread. The comment is
"If PPR is issued before spouse medicals results are received (this includes not including spouse during application) then you will have to sponsor a spouse. An alternative is to ask IRCC to add your spouse to your application before you submit your passport for stamping and in that case, IRCC may deffer PPR and allow you to add spouse."

I understand that I can (must) inform CIC about the marital status change, but if I will have to sponsor my spouse in either case, then it's better to delay the marriage until after landing.

All the best!
This is inaccurate, they misinformed you. All the best

TanakaM

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-04-17
Yes, after assessing your spouse.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Hi,

All the best!
That poster is completely wrong.

It is very simple: if you marry before landing as a PR, you must add your spouse to your application.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi. Can I ask you about this matter? I got married before I landed on Canada because I was pregnant that time. And I just found it here that I committed misinterpretation and I could’nt my husband forever.
Can he just go here as Visitor’s visa and get married here in Canada and do the spousal sponsorship? Did the IRCC will noticed our first marriage back then in our country? Thankyou for your response. Tbh,I’m very much stressed right now.
Ps: I just sponsored by my mom that’s why I didn’t declared the marriage as soon as I get the visa.
As mentioned in your other thread: (1) you can never apply to sponsor your husband; (2) you obtained your PR status through fraud by getting married before landing and if IRCC finds out, you can expect they will move to revoke your PR status.

pritiwalia

Jul 24, 2018
Hi All,

Can you please post about the decision you took,I am facing the exact situation what u faced couple of months back.

Should i get married before landing or after??
Please revert.