+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage after CoPR but before landing

imladris

Jan 20, 2015
Hello everyone,

My wife got her CoPR and immigrant Visa last Sept. And shortly after, we got married. We are currently outside of Canada. She wants to land at the end of Feb. Can she land on her current Visa? Btw, I’m a Canadian citizen. So I don’t need her sponsorship.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

My wife got her CoPR and immigrant Visa last Sept. And shortly after, we got married. We are currently outside of Canada. She wants to land at the end of Feb. Can she land on her current Visa? Btw, I’m a Canadian citizen. So I don’t need her sponsorship.

Yes, she can.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello everyone,

Yes she can. She will likely be asked at border if family situation has changed, she can tell them she married a citizen, there's no implication or effect for her status.

If she doesn't get asked doesn't matter for same reasons.

Reactions: imladris

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

She should send a webform to IRCC updating her marriage status with a copy of your wedding certificate before she lands but since you don’t need to be sponsored she will be fine not having a COPR indicating she is married before landing. Not updating your application information in general is not a good idea and the COPR advises you to update any changed in your family composition. You should have updated this soon after you got married.