+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marijuana and Canadian visa medical exam

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chill out - they are looking for transmittable diseases like AIdS, TB etc. if they had to kick out people from Canada for smoking marijuana, the population of Canada would have reduced by 90%. Marijuana is more prevalent than tobacco here. The disgusting smell follows you everywhere. No matter how affluent the neighborhood is, how expensive the car is - once in a while you will sense the smell of marijuana coming out of it.
Did you know the ex mayor of Toronto saw his public rankings rise when he confessed he smoked marijuana? This hints how Canadians view marijuana.
I even once complained to my concierge about the neighbour who was smoking marijuana on a 24/7 basis and all my clothes were stinking like hell. The concierge replied: "so what? This is Canada. Everybody smokes marijuana!"

Reactions: tristonz

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And Montreal! People even smoke it in office washrooms. From the time you land till you take off the stinky smell will follow you everywhere. You do not even need to have a map to navigate downtown. Just follow the stink of marijuana and it will lead you to St Catherine street - the heart of the city.

jrandom said:
Smoking weed is almost legal in many cities in Canada, esp Vancouver and Toronto.
You just go to a Naturopath, and they give you a form to take to one of the dispensaries. Legal weed. Some of the dispensaries have the Naturopath on site.

One problem though is if you are not a permanent resident and you get caught by a cop with weed they can order you deported. They do this to international students all the time for some stupid reason.

Reactions: tristonz

bypasser

Feb 4, 2015
I confirm that the medical check for PR requires urinalysis but they don't check for THC, they only make so-called dipstick test for blood, protein and glucose. This information is valid as of January 2015.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
akashaakash said:
Is thr any afft on visa application bcz of smoking
I nearly smoke 3 cigs / day .......
Nd m tensed bcz of the
Nd i hv planned for jan intake
So cn u tell me at wat tym i shud go for pre-medical
the only thing you should be worried about is your IELTS it seems

Mbgirlfriend

Nov 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 19, 2015
AOR Received.
July 9, 2015
Med's Request
January 19, 2016
Med's Done....
February 1,2016
Passport Req..
April 15,2016
VISA ISSUED...
April 27,2016
LANDED..........
April 28,2016
I wouldn't worry about having it in your system. Just keep in mind that even though most Canadian citizens smoke pot we don't have to risk getting deported. It is still illegal so I would avoid ever having it on you after you come here.

It could cause a major delay and be inconvenient if you have pot traces on you so make sure you wash all the clothes you bring well and even wipe down your bags. If they ask you if you have ever done drugs be honest. They won't care if you say you have. They may question you a bit more to make sure you aren't bringing any into the country as long as your aren't then don't worry. If you lie and say you never did drugs and they test your bags by doing a swab test and it comes up positive (and it could no mater how clean you think your things are) then they will know you lied and that will make things much harder for you.

I suspect that in the next 10 years or sooner marijuana will be legal in Canada. One state in the USA made it legal and the revenue it created for the government was so big that I think most of North America will make it legal soon as they can.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
Mbgirlfriend said:
I wouldn't worry about having it in your system. Just keep in mind that even though most Canadian citizens smoke pot we don't have to risk getting deported. It is still illegal so I would avoid ever having it on you after you come here.

It could cause a major delay and be inconvenient if you have pot traces on you so make sure you wash all the clothes you bring well and even wipe down your bags. If they ask you if you have ever done drugs be honest. They won't care if you say you have. They may question you a bit more to make sure you aren't bringing any into the country as long as your aren't then don't worry. If you lie and say you never did drugs and they test your bags by doing a swab test and it comes up positive (and it could no mater how clean you think your things are) then they will know you lied and that will make things much harder for you.

I suspect that in the next 10 years or sooner marijuana will be legal in Canada. One state in the USA made it legal and the revenue it created for the government was so big that I think most of North America will make it legal soon as they can.
There's a legal pot shop just across the border from Canada to the USA in Blaine, Washington State. Like barely even a 10 minutes walk.

DavidMackey

Oct 16, 2015
jrandom said:
Smoking weed is almost legal in many cities in Canada, esp Vancouver and Toronto.
You just go to a Naturopath, and they give you a form to take to one of the dispensaries. Legal weed. Some of the dispensaries have the Naturopath on site.

One problem though is if you are not a permanent resident and you get caught by a cop with weed they can order you deported. They do this to international students all the time for some stupid reason.
Yeah. I think so.

flonf92

Feb 27, 2016
Hello! Sorry for necromancing, but I'm in the exact same situation as the OP. The only (but major) difference being that, since I was completely sure for some reason that they'd be looking for MJ and I had just consumed some a week ago, I decided to admit it in the the little form they make us fill. My reasoning was that if they were going to find it out anyway, it'd probably look worse if they saw that I explicitly lied.

I made it clear that I had only consumed marijuana once, which is true and makes me look kind of unlucky. Do you guys think that's gonna prevent me from getting the permanent residency? (which is what I'm aiming for) And if so, could I ever again apply to get it?

Thank you and sorry for any grammar mistakes.

AB07

Jul 18, 2016
Hello,
I am from India. I got acceptance letter from college and I am in process for applying study permit.I need to go through medical exam. I smoke marijuana will it affect my medical exam? are they looking for marijuana in exam?

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
AB07 said:
Hello,
I am from India. I got acceptance letter from college and I am in process for applying study permit.I need to go through medical exam. I smoke marijuana will it affect my medical exam? are they looking for marijuana in exam?
Did you read the whole thread? Your question has been answered in lenght..

Reactions: Naveen thomas

lovinglife44

Nov 23, 2016
Hey Everbody.

So I've read through this thread concerning having THC levels in your system while having the medical exam, but of course I see a lot of the replies were from 2+ years ago, and of course new rules/regulations get passed all the time. Looking for some clarity if someone could help. Better safe than sorry, right?

My wife and I currently live in the US, and my wife is dual citizen in both Canada and the US.

We are looking to move up to Canada next year sometime, and are beginning to get the spouse sponsorship paperwork in order, etc. I know I would have to go get my medical exam done by a panel physician, which we'll have to go take a drive a few hours to go see. I am a daily vaper of THC oil, and about a month ago I stopped when we started talking about scheduling a medical exam before year's end.

I imagine I'm in the clear now anyway given I stopped that long ago, but have had urges to go take a pull. Is there a concrete yes or no as far as if they do test for this specifically? I'm not looking for an excuse to fall back into it, but I am human. Any help is appreciated!

Andynd1uk

Star Member
Jan 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2016
AOR Received.
01-06-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
10-03-2016
Passport Req..
29-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-09-2016
LANDED..........
10-09-2016
lovinglife44 said:
Hey Everbody.

So I've read through this thread concerning having THC levels in your system while having the medical exam, but of course I see a lot of the replies were from 2+ years ago, and of course new rules/regulations get passed all the time. Looking for some clarity if someone could help. Better safe than sorry, right?

My wife and I currently live in the US, and my wife is dual citizen in both Canada and the US.

We are looking to move up to Canada next year sometime, and are beginning to get the spouse sponsorship paperwork in order, etc. I know I would have to go get my medical exam done by a panel physician, which we'll have to go take a drive a few hours to go see. I am a daily vaper of THC oil, and about a month ago I stopped when we started talking about scheduling a medical exam before year's end.

I imagine I'm in the clear now anyway given I stopped that long ago, but have had urges to go take a pull. Is there a concrete yes or no as far as if they do test for this specifically? I'm not looking for an excuse to fall back into it, but I am human. Any help is appreciated!
With the medical that I did in the UK they give you a sheet saying what you'll be tested for and you sign the bottom to give them authorisation to do so. The blood work all refers to communicable diseases. There is nothing regarding drug use anywhere on the list. Don't worry about it.

lovinglife44

Nov 23, 2016
Andynd1uk said:
With the medical that I did in the UK they give you a sheet saying what you'll be tested for and you sign the bottom to give them authorisation to do so. The blood work all refers to communicable diseases. There is nothing regarding drug use anywhere on the list. Don't worry about it.

Thanks for the info. It's greatly appreciated.

ExBrit

Jan 10, 2017
harmeetjaipur said:
I stopped smoking for exactly one month, and I got my visa. Thanks to all for replies. I haven't smoked and I won't be smoking in the near future either. Good luck to all the future applicants.
Hi, I was just wondering if they did end up actually doing a drug test? I know you said that you were all clear, but that could have been just because it passed through your system.