+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MARCH 2020 *Outland* Spousal Sponsorship

Mar 15, 2020
Thank you for your response. Can a TRV be extended for 1.5 years at once or it's done at 6 months intervals? Also, how can one qualify to apply for Refugee status when the person is not a refugee?

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
Thank you for your response. Can a TRV be extended for 1.5 years at once or it's done at 6 months intervals? Also, how can one qualify to apply for Refugee status when the person is not a refugee?
In 6 month intervals.
Many people dont realize that anybody can apply for refugee, even President Trump.
The process will start and legally one cannot be deported until final decision is made, which once took 3 years and now could take 5. Once your spousal is approved, you simply withdraw the refugee claim...yes its a loophole in the Canadian system. That is ofc a last resort, if trv ext. Is denied- it does happen.
You can claim refugee from Covid19. It doesnt matter, they will have to process this request, which will buy a couple years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Famof5

CDNsoldier

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Spousal Sponsorship
The fact that you're baffled by the number of people who wish to see their spouse by obtaining a TRV is 'baffling' to me.

If you don't understand why someone would want to be with their spouse given the uncertainty of the present situation, zero progress on our applications in the last 4 months, and the incredibly long wait - perhaps it is time for you to reassess your own relationship with your spouse.

It is only normal to have the urge to be with your life partner and to try out all the possible legal and rightful means to be with them. I fail to understand how applying for a TRV to visit your spouse is beating the system? Isn't your relationship important for your emotional and mental well-being? How is that not a priority? We are not applying for a TRV to take a selfie at the Niagra Falls!

There is an emotional and mental burden that many of us are facing during the pandemic, you cannot ignore, disregard, or trivialize this. Not everyone is the same, I don't know your situation, you may be content with being away from your life partner but some of us are not.
[Applause]

CDNsoldier

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Spousal Sponsorship
Sorry, but this is wrong: by the government's own instructions and explanations, travel of longer than fifteen days is deemed 'non-discretionary.' The government's instructions clearly (crystal clear) exempt immediate family members from these restrictions.

To quote directly from the GoC website: "A foreign national who is an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident is exempt from the travel restrictions and permitted to travel to Canada if they have the required documentation for travel. If the immediate family member of the Canadian Citizen or permanent resident’s stay in Canada will be 15 days or longer, they are to be considered to be travelling for a non-discretionary or non-optional purpose."

That doesn't mean it's wise to travel, but the government also has instructions and procedures (fifteen days self-isolation, various tracking and reporting) to deal with the public health risk.

It's a recognition that visiting family members is not just tourism or recreation.

The issue most seem to be dealing with here is that getting a TRV (for those not exempt) is difficult and lengthy at present (and in many cases was difficult before covid, but - according to some - less of an issue because family PR was being processed more quickly.

Agree or disagree about whether the government should come up with some special or faster way to get TRVs for family-class applicants whose applications are delayed more than usual due to covid, you can't rely on the 'discretionary' argument, as the government itself has deemed family visits non-discretionary.
^This

CDNsoldier

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Spousal Sponsorship
If its all about seeing or being your spouse , your spouse in Canada visiting you instead is much easier and takes less time if that’s your concern .
In a global pandemic? That’s worse or the same health risk as your spouse coming to visit you. This is just the beginning.

It’s about you and your spouse and kids living TOGETHER, in a time of UNCERTAINTY. IRCC’s lack of processing is evident of the uncertain times. Our neighbours are not even tapering off from the “first wave”. What if in the fall travel restrictions are so bad that no one can travel anywhere and it stays like that for 6 to 8 months?

Reactions: Toby2020 and Sepi

jasluke

Star Member
Nov 24, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone!! I just got off the phone with IRCC customer care. The customer care associate mentioned that they have now started opening application packages from February and the staff is still reduced.

• Sad
Reactions: Brownbeauty

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
Hi Everyone!! I just got off the phone with IRCC customer care. The customer care associate mentioned that they have now started opening application packages from February and the staff is still reduced.
Its been "February" since February!!!
Wake up people time to rise up and go to the protests. For details, please sign up to FB Group "Canada Spousal Sponsorship Applicants Affected by Covid-19".

Nawar Helala

Jan 12, 2019
Hello everyone, this is my first time in this thread, I think it is way too heated in here and I dont want to be in the middle of everything. in my opinion this website is for people to have information and compare wait times ans to share ideas and experience
I really dont see the value in everyone trying to convince to the others of whether we should be prioritized or not. every body is free to ask their MPs for anything they think is fair.
having said that, can you guys please help me I am trying to see if anybody have received a passport request since march, I have completed all the other steps like medicals and biometrics, I was also informed that no interview is needed for our sponsorship application but we haven't received PPR or COPR yet any idea how long that takes these days ??
thank you all in advance.

Reactions: devmtl