Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
I was under the impression implied status was granted from when an application has been received by IRCC. Not necessarily with AOR.

Can someone clarify ?
AOR signals the start of your app being processed. It also means that your application is deemed as complete. Implied status is not given when they receive it, but when they actually open your app and begin to process it. If your app is missing anything they will return it and you will be out of status.

Canausa90

Jan 6, 2020
Vancouver, BC
AOR signals the start of your app being processed. It also means that your application is deemed as complete. Implied status is not given when they receive it, but when they actually open your app and begin to process it. If your app is missing anything they will return it and you will be out of status.
That seems to be at odds with IRCC. They define it as having applied, with no specific mention for AOR.

"A temporary resident must apply to extend their period of authorized stay before it ends. If they have done so, their period of authorized stay as a temporary resident is extended by law until a decision is made [R183(5)]. Such a person is considered to have implied status as a temporary resident during that period.

If a temporary resident applies for renewal of their work or study permit and their permit expires before a decision is made, paragraph 186(u) and section 189 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) (the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions pending a determination of their application for renewal) apply only as long as the person remains in Canada."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
That seems to be at odds with IRCC. They define it as having applied, with no specific mention for AOR.

"A temporary resident must apply to extend their period of authorized stay before it ends. If they have done so, their period of authorized stay as a temporary resident is extended by law until a decision is made [R183(5)]. Such a person is considered to have implied status as a temporary resident during that period.

If a temporary resident applies for renewal of their work or study permit and their permit expires before a decision is made, paragraph 186(u) and section 189 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) (the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions pending a determination of their application for renewal) apply only as long as the person remains in Canada."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html
This could be true. However there has been many discussions on the forum about this topic and I encourage you to do some research about it. Just better to be safe then sorry. But if you decide that it’s not the best option for you then that’s ok! I sent my visitor extension April 18th because my work permit was expiring may 3rd. I wrote the reason I was applying for a visitors extension was because I wanted to maintain legal status during the processing of my family sponsorship app. Also I think under the family section on their website it states that you must maintain legal status as a visitor worker etc during the processing of your PR application. But good luck to you!! I hope everything works out in your favour !

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@scylla can you shed some light on this situation?
A person has implied status as soon as their application is received by IRCC (and provided the application is received before that person's current status expires). If IRCC later opens that application, determines it's incomplete and returns the application - implied status is lost. AOR confirms the application is complete. It does not confer implied status.

Applying for a visitor extension provides insurance (so to speak) in case the application is returned as incomplete and implied status is lost.

abdulzeedo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
Thank you @scylla. I was literally about to spend 435$ for a 25 min consultation with a lawyer to shed some light on this, since the IRCC doesn't state anything related to it.

saladdd

Jun 16, 2020
Hi, you should always try to maintain legal status while in Canada. Anyways, you are under implied status from submitting your open work permit application if you’ve received an acknowledgement of receipt from IRCC. If you haven’t then you absolutely need to apply to extend your status as a visitor during this time, and write in your letter of explanation that you are waiting for your app to start being processed but there are covid 19 related delays with Case processing centres. Obviously they know this, but wouldn’t hurt to mention..
Thank you for your reply!!!

rahu22

Sep 30, 2018
They need AOR first.
I have applied for OWP along with spousal PR application, should I expect two different AORs [one for PR app and other for OWP]? Or Does the AOR for PR application implies that OWP application has been accepted as well.

Himanshulv

Apr 18, 2020
I have applied for OWP along with spousal PR application, should I expect two different AORs [one for PR app and other for OWP]? Or Does the AOR for PR application implies that OWP application has been accepted as well.
Its going to be one AOR nit seperate

saladdd

Jun 16, 2020
Hi Everyone! I would like to know do I have to pay the biometric fee for the visitor extension? The processing fee is $100 but there is also biometric fee??? Since I have already submitted my sponsorship application in mid-March, I still haven't received any AOR or email about my application. However, the biometric fee should be already paid in my sponsorship application right? then the biometric fee for the visitor status extension and the sponsorship will be duplicated? I'm confused...

saladdd

Jun 16, 2020
I can't find the button for visitor extension.
After I've login, I clicked Visitor visa, study and /or work permit

What would you like to do in Canada?

I have selected visit
How long are you planning to stay in Canada?
I have selected temporarily-more than 6 months
After answering the questionnaire, it said medical exam is required.

I have also tried other options but no visitor extension shows up!

Is there anyone know how to apply for visitor extension?
I have struggled for more than an hour still can't figure out...

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020

I have selected visit

It should give you a checklist of the PDF forms you'll have to fill out for a visitor extension application. You fill those out, gather any supporting documentation, and upload it all. IMM 5708e is the main form, but there may be additional IMM forms listed in your checklist.

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga

I have selected visit

it would have asked;
What is your current country/territory of residence? If you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada.
What is your current immigration status in Canada?
When does your status in Canada expire?

Then it will tell you if you can apply for extension or restoration.

And once you complete the questionnaire it will give you a checklist of documents you need to fill and submit, and you will see the form to change conditions or extend stay among those

gjhajj

Mar 22, 2020
Is there any news IRCC will again extend inland open work permit Pilot Program like before or it will expire on July 31st?
“Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) said the Open Work Permit Pilot program, which was set to expire on January 31, 2019, will be extended until July 31, 2020.”