+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

***>>> March 2020 AOR <<<***

usa2canada2021

Nov 11, 2020
I dont think you need to apply for extension. IRCC site say u can travel with expired COPR once you have permanent plan to move.

Approved permanent resident applicants with expired COPR and permanent resident visa
If you’re outside Canada
If we approved your permanent resident application before March 18th, 2020 or you are exempt from the travel restrictions, but you can't travel to Canada before your documents expire, or your documents have already expired, you don’t need to tell us until you’re ready to move to Canada and live here permanently.
that is what even @legalfalcon told me, but not sure why the other link says that "COPR will not be extended".

Not sure why there are 2 ambiguous messages on the IRCC website, and because of that I am getting confused.
I am guessing may be the link where they are saying that "COPR won't extend" is the old link/before COVID. But just want to check with experts, because I don't want to loose this golden opportunity.

Sachin007

Star Member
Nov 22, 2019
Singapore
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
that is what even @legalfalcon told me, but not sure why the other link says that "COPR will not be extended".

Not sure why there are 2 ambiguous messages on the IRCC website, and because of that I am getting confused.
I am guessing may be the link where they are saying that "COPR won't extend" is the old link/before COVID. But just want to check with experts, because I don't want to loose this golden opportunity.
Which is correct COPR will not be extended, but you will be able to travel on expired COPR.

Anyhow, Soft landing is not possible, so only 2 options
1. Either extend COPR ( Which you can confirm via Webform)
2. Let the COPR expire and as per the guidelines travel once you have permanent plan.

But in any case, get an official confirmation.

Last edited:

Parthg011

Star Member
Aug 31, 2019
Possibly a weird question but have to ask because of Covid.
Is it possible that BOWP application are closed down for sometime due to lockdown like they did with EE,
I have to apply for it but delaying it in hope of COPR.

usa2canada2021

Nov 11, 2020
Which is correct COPR will not be extended, but you will be able to travel on expired COPR.

2. Let the COPR expire and as per the guidelines travel once you have permanent plan.

1 --> Yeah. I already sent a web form, not sure if IRCC will reply any time soon.
2 --> Yeah. But if I get some kind of confirmation from IRCC, then I wont be worried. I hope IRCC replies to my web form.

How long should I wait before sending 2nd web form?
Should I try sending an email to Ottawa Office? Does any one have email address for Ottawa VO?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
hi.. My biometrics were updated as above. But when I call IRCC they said officer has not reviewed it and hence criminality is pending.. It is more than 3 weeks since I gave bio.. So confused with the process..if mine is reviewed or not
There have been numerous administrative delays. But pending criminality will have no effect on the processing of other stages.

Just give it some time.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@shomaro please what do you mean by delayed cases? Are there applications that IRCC tag to be delayed? If so, How can one know that their application has been tagged as delayed?
@legalfalcon please can you shed some light on this if you know anything about it?
Thanks!
There is no such thing as tagged as delayed. As per IRCC's 2019 annual report the average processing time in 2019 for FSW and PNP was 9 months. Some applications do get stuck in security screening, and it can take 1 -2 years for such applications to be processed. see https://bit.ly/2ITluia

There are other factors too that may contribute to more processing time, such as medicals, verifications, additional document submissions etc.

There is no point in comparing timelines, instead keep an eye on whether your stages are being processed.

How long did it take to process an Express Entry application?
Table 35 displays the time, in months, that IRCC took to process 80% of applications under each program. In 2019, IRCC did not meet the processing standard of finalizing 80% of all applications sourced via Express Entry within six months. The processing time for Express Entry, overall, was eight months. As an alternative measure of processing times, 60% of applications finalized in the 12-month period ending on December 31, 2019, were completed within the six-month service standard.

Table 35: Processing Times for Express Entry applications finalized by year and immigration category, in months
Program201720182019
Canadian Experience Class457
Federal Skilled Worker469
Provincial/Territorial Nominee669
Federal Skilled Trades6712
All Programs558
Source: CIC_EDW (MBR) as of January 3, 2020
Data is operational and as such should be considered preliminary and subject to change.

• Processing times refer to the time in which 80% of applications were finalized by IRCC. The processing time is measured from the day a complete application is received until the time a final decision is made by an immigration officer.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Thanks @legalfalcon.
I checked below link and it says that IRCC won't extend COPR.
The link you sent is of 23rd October 2020 and the one I am sharing is 28th October 2020, so not sure if the rule changed in these 5 days?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/application-approved.html
The rule is the same. Pre-COVID, IRCC would usually not extend COPR, as one of the factors for the PR is that the applicant should have an intention to make canada home indefinitely.

However, now due to COVID, many applicants are not willing to travel, or can't travel due to restrictions.

IRCC is not extending the COPR, if it has expired, and when the applicant has a concrete plan.

Reactions: aminilay

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016

When in doubt, send a webform or ask on Twitter.

psucalit

Star Member
May 7, 2020
Hi! I need help.

I received my COPR (+ visa in passport) today but IT DOES NOT CONTAIN MY COMMON LAW PARTNER'S COPR. We're in different countries and my PPR expires in 5 days!

I had been emailing my local visa office over and over to ask to send a separate PPR for him so he can submit to his LVO but no response at all. Soooo, I sent in my actual passport + a PHOTOCOPY of his passport (since he is not in the country, and he does not need a visa to enter Canada) hoping that they would also just give him a COPR but nope!

What's worse, my IRCC application page has not updated since I sent in biometrics (my PPR is not even in my list of messages there!). My application page is literally just full of hyperlinks and hasn't updated since October 9, which is ridiculous because I now have my immigrant visa + COPR.

What can I do?

Reactions: manisingh2301

grace23

Nov 20, 2020
Hi guys,

I am AOR 17th March, VO Pretoria. On Wednesday i received a ghost update then yesterday i received another one! Could it be a good sign?

chintangohil

Nov 2, 2019
Surrey
It is your application number. It is mentioned in your BIL letter.
Any idea about when PR applicants would be able to book an appointment?

Review of eligibility - We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
Review of medical results - May 25, 2020 You passed the medical exam.
Review of additional documents - Not applicable.
Interview - You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
Biometrics - We have not received your fingerprints. Check your biometrics request message below for details.
Background check - We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
Final decision - Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

is eligibility check depended on biometrics ? if not then I think it should be passed by now.

Thanks.