+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

March - 2018 Citizenship Applicants

_KK8512_

Star Member
Aug 27, 2018
Notwithstanding an incessant stream of whine and rant, tending to divert or obscure sincere questions and answers, there is LITTLE if any mystery. IRCC is a bureaucracy. Bureaucracy is what bureaucracies does. Between each task in processing a citizenship application there is a queue. And that is where the vast majority of applications are at any given time, merely sitting in a queue waiting for the next task to be done by whoever will be doing that task.

The total time someone at IRCC is actually engaged in processing a given application is almost certainly LESS than the hours in a single standard work DAY. That is, adding up all the time a particular application is being actively processed, adding together all the time spent by every IRCC official, agent, or officer actually processing the application, that quite likely totals maybe a mere few hours.

So the answer to the question "how come they aren't processing it?" is EASY: The application is in QUEUE, waiting for someone to do the next task. And that is where it will likely be for MANY MORE MONTHS to come, albeit a different queue following the completion of each respective task.

We do not precisely know all the tasks done at CPC-Sydney between AOR and the designation "In Process." Best we do know is that "IP" (again, "In Process") means that all CPC-Sydney tasks have been completed except, perhaps, the final task of actually putting the physical file in the mail to be sent to the respective Local Office where the application will be processed. It should be recognized, however, that just opening the application package and conducting the completion check is part of the process, that is "processing" as such, as are the various tasks done between that action and the referral to the local office.

CPC-Sydney tasks attendant AOR:

-- Completion check
-- Opening GCMS citizenship application file (noting that all IRCC clients have a GCMS file much broader than this application file) and probably an initial GCMS background check
-- Initiating referrals to RCMP and CSIS for criminal and security background checks, respectively​

Task either attendant AOR step (done by same agent or official that does completion check and opens GCMS app file), or is the first post-AOR task at CPC-Sydney: probable triage screening separating files for referral to particular processing streams within CPC-Sydney.

Among the tasks done in CPC-Sydney we know and can otherwise reasonably infer, including some which may be done, AFTER AOR, to selected applications rather than all, there is clearly an extensive GCMS background check and this is a more or less full GCMS check, not at all comparable to what a Help Centre call agent might see when it opens a client's GCMS; this includes FOSS, which in turn includes name-record checks into multiple databases including RCMP and U.S. criminal record databases. This step/task probably includes preliminary screening to identify things like whether a Finger Print request will be sent to the applicant; may identify some applications for which there will be an upfront check of the applicant's CBSA Travel History. In the past this also was part of the screening to identify applicants to be sent a pre-test RQ but it is not clear this is still being done at this stage.

While we do not know for sure, it seems likely the same agent or official doing the latter will also be individual who determines which local office will process the application. And then makes the referral.

There are some probable alternative paths in this process. I identified one: applicants for whom IRCC accesses and reviews the applicant's CBSA travel history. Maybe this is done for ALL applicants, which may involve a somewhat cursory comparison to the applicant's reported travel history to identify if there are significant discrepancies in PoE arrival dates. Or perhaps applications are separated and one stream goes into its own queue for this while most proceed without this . . . which could explain significant differences in the timeline between AOR and IP for different applicants. (That said, the bigger differences in this timeline appear to mostly correlate to the date the application was submitted, meaning most submitted around the same time tend to see a comparable AOR to IP timeline.)

Among other alternative paths in between AOR and the actual referral to the respective Local Office, as I noted there is the possibility of the application going into a FP request queue. Some applications may be separated from the mainstream, totally routine path, to be put in queue waiting for more detailed screening to identify or flag potential concerns or issues. And of course any additional, separate task, will quite likely involve going to and sitting in, waiting in, another queue. It seems clear that some applications arrive in the Local Office already flagged for this or that issue (albeit the two most common appear to be presence-related questions and potential prohibition questions).

All that said, it may be that in terms of actual eyes and hands-on tasks in CPC-Sydney, there may be only TWO agents or officials handling the ROUTINELY processed applications (thus, for example, NOT including those for which there is a CPC-Sydney generated FP request), the opening-the-file (including completion check) agent or official, and the one conducting the second-tier screening. Such that the total time in CPC-Sydney is almost entirely (except for the half hour to hour and a half time spent in doing these two tasks) is:
-- queue time between arrival of package and opening-the-file (including completion check); for this, two to three months seems common but has at times varied from this, more often longer; AOR signals this task is done
-- queue time between opening-the-file (including completion check), as indicated by AOR date, and the second-tier screening; this appears to vary more and vary some for applicants who apply around the same periods of time, from just weeks to several months​

Here is the thing: the vast majority of applicants do NOT need to be helicopter-applicants hovering over every step of the process. This forum tends to encourage excessive monitoring of the progress of applications. IT IS MOSTLY A WAITING GAME. And currently the wait times have once again gone long . . . as it historically is wont to do, at various times being longer or short . . . including times not all that long ago when processing was TWO to THREE years for a very large percentage of applicants.

Venting and ranting and railing and whining is very much a part of this forum. Sharing the pain and commiserating is indeed very much a part of what is done here. Unfortunately more than a few of those whining the most tend to barge into many topics in which real questions are being asked.

Name of the game is WAITING. No matter how many times the children in the backseat whine "are we there yet?" the question does NOT accelerate the process, does not mitigate the WAIT. And the answer does not really matter or change: the real answer being, simply, NO, NOT there yet.
Very informative, and a lot of the process is well rationalized and there is nothing of value that I have to add. I know I came across as whining and it came across worse than intended.

I will keep looking at how average time-lines are looking for 2018 applicants. For me personally, I just thought that IP tends to follow "relatively" quickly after AOR. After IP I am looking at a few months' wait so once I am at that stage I know I am looking at the long wait. But it seems that the applications from Ottawa have been slow (other December 2018 applicants are also waiting on their IP). And yes: there is variance between some regions and others, we will never know for sure why and all we can do is wait.

SunilR

Star Member
Aug 14, 2014
Visa Office......
CPC - Ottawa
App. Filed.......
23-04-2014
AOR Received.
29-05-2014
Med's Request
18-11-2014
Med's Done....
24-11-2014
Passport Req..
26-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
31-03-2015
LANDED..........
19-04-2015
Hello Admin,
Please update the spreadsheet.
Citizenship Test: Passed on March 6th
Ecas updated on : March 8th
Current Ecas status: Decision Made
Waiting for Oath invitation.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Very informative, and a lot of the process is well rationalized and there is nothing of value that I have to add. I know I came across as whining and it came across worse than intended.

I will keep looking at how average time-lines are looking for 2018 applicants. For me personally, I just thought that IP tends to follow "relatively" quickly after AOR. After IP I am looking at a few months' wait so once I am at that stage I know I am looking at the long wait. But it seems that the applications from Ottawa have been slow (other December 2018 applicants are also waiting on their IP). And yes: there is variance between some regions and others, we will never know for sure why and all we can do is wait.
Just to add to some of the things that have been said, there is a very common misconception that you somehow seem to also make: That the citizenship application is a step-by-step game and that one should consider timelines step-by-step. Just because someone's application is "in process" that doesn't mean that it is now ahead of all those that are not "in process" yet. Sometimes applications go into process very fast and then the test invite takes forever. Sometimes applications take forever to go into process and then get a test invite very fast and so on.

Take it from someone who has both been through the wait themselves as well as from someone who has been monitoring this forum close to a decade: do NOT turn the wait for citizenship into a game where you make deductions on passing a specific "signpost". If you are, for example, a GTA applicant, the reasonable thing to do is is to set the expectation that you will be a citizen within a good 12 months and that intermediate steps can go fast or slow without allowing any interpretation regarding the total processing time.

huzcan

May 6, 2013
Just to add to some of the things that have been said, there is a very common misconception that you somehow seem to also make: That the citizenship application is a step-by-step game and that one should consider timelines step-by-step. Just because someone's application is "in process" that doesn't mean that it is now ahead of all those that are not "in process" yet. Sometimes applications go into process very fast and then the test invite takes forever. Sometimes applications take forever to go into process and then get a test invite very fast and so on.

Take it from someone who has both been through the wait themselves as well as from someone who has been monitoring this forum close to a decade: do NOT turn the wait for citizenship into a game where you make deductions on passing a specific "signpost". If you are, for example, a GTA applicant, the reasonable thing to do is is to set the expectation that you will be a citizen within a good 12 months and that intermediate steps can go fast or slow without allowing any interpretation regarding the total processing time.

Except for waiting, what are the options available to a GTA applicant whose wait has exceeded the 12 months time ?

getlucky2018

Star Member
Jan 13, 2019
Toronto
LANDED..........
Canadian Citizen
Hello All,
I am all set to send out my Citizenship Application tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed.
All the best to everyone in the same boat.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Except for waiting, what are the options available to a GTA applicant whose wait has exceeded the 12 months time ?
pretty much none. I mean, once you get close to the 20 month range or something, there might be options (forum search). I chatted with the case worker in Mississauga during my interview and he confirmed that these days the are basically working 7 of 7 days a week (he was complaining to me how he doesn't have weekends off anymore) and still they haven't finished processing all applications, even the ones before October 2017. They are simply overworked.

philjharvey

Aug 31, 2011
How hard was the test? I am using citizenship test kit does it help
The test was not too bad - however you should read the booklet once a week as you never know what questions will come up. They are multi choice questions and most of them you can work out the correct answer if you don't know the answer for studying. The test kit does help, and there are other online tests that again will help you - what ever you do DO NOT PAY for any assistance. EVERYTHING you need to know is in the booklet you do not need to buy anything else to help you pass the test

philjharvey

Aug 31, 2011
Hi there,

Sent my Application March 1st 2018
AOR received March 23 2018
Test Invite date received March 17th 2019
Individual application
Testing Office Mississauga

Is it normal to have a test date on Sunday?
They are doing Test Dates on Saturdays and Sundays right now in Mississauga - so for now - Yes its normal

getlucky2018

Star Member
Jan 13, 2019
Toronto
LANDED..........
Canadian Citizen
Thank you all - I became a Canadian Citizen yesterday - Good luck to everyone still waiting
Congratulations @philjharvey When did you apply for your Citizenship? Was it last year? did you wait a long time?

i just sent out my application today :).....do you know what the next steps are going to be? Please advice and Congratulations again!

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012

h4qs

Mar 13, 2019
  1. received: March 13, 2018.
  2. acknowledging receipt : March 28, 2018.
  3. started processing: June 5, 2018.
  4. We sent you a notice on February 13, 2019 to appear and write the citizenship test on March 2, 2019 at 7:45 AM.
  5. March 9, 2019 to appear and take the oath of citizenship at the citizenship ceremony to be held on March 28, 2019 at 9:00 AM.

Last edited:

philjharvey

Aug 31, 2011
Congratulations @philjharvey When did you apply for your Citizenship? Was it last year? did you wait a long time?

i just sent out my application today :).....do you know what the next steps are going to be? Please advice and Congratulations again!
I applied for mine last year it took 360 days in total - maybe you should join the March 2019 thread as you will gain support from others going through the process at the same time.

Franckus11

Jan 25, 2019
Hello All,
I am all set to send out my Citizenship Application tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed.
All the best to everyone in the same boat.
Hi getlucky2018
congrats for having sent your application,
however, applicants on this borad have applied on march 2018 and not march 2019.
You are a yr over, you would find applications very similar to yours on march 2019 citizenship applicant if there is one,
good day