Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
GCKey updated to APPROVED today!! Passports on their way back to the dominican!! SO glad this process is over!!! Thanks to everyone for your help and support. For those still waiting, best of luck

yoge

Feb 11, 2017
canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
colombo
App. Filed.......
07-02-2017 app return 21-02-2017 resubmit 29-03-2017 citizenship app filled online 2023-Apr-10
Doc's Request.
Sch a and pcc uploaded via gc key 17/05/2007
AOR Received.
21-04-2017
File Transfer...
29-05-2017
Med's Request
01-09-2017 Re-medical Request 30-Jul-2019
Med's Done....
20-09-2017 Re-Medical Done 05th-Aug-2019
Interview........
13-03-2018 Ecas in process 05/26/2017 Aor2 05/29/2017 Ecas Changed To DM 31-Mar-2018
Passport Req..
Application Refused 2018-04-11 appeal file 2018-apr-20 Iad Confirmation May-09-2018 full hearing 23 rd may 2019 @edmonton Appel Won 14-june-2019 Additional Document Request 30-Jul-2019 doc send 13-Aug-2019 Bio metric req 13-aug-2019 Bio Completed 15-aug-2019 PPR 01-Nov-2019
VISA ISSUED...
13-11-2019
LANDED..........
26-11-2019
In how many days you got your passport back from ndvo ? I have got passport request too
when you got your passport request and your full timeline please

thenk03

Feb 13, 2018
Hey mine was 2017 March. they ask me to send them a copy of new passport that have 1 a year before expire. is that a good sign?

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Hi all, [...]

We were expecting a summer 2018 move to Canada. Our apartment lease expires at the end of May, and I have some work lined up in Canada starting in July. My current US visa (which permits me to work) and Canadian passport also both expire in July.

Assuming that a) her application is not completed by the summer, and b) it won't be rejected for some unforeseen reason, would there be any issues if she joined me up in Canada as a tourist for the summer until her application is complete, then returned to the US for a couple of days so that she can come right back across the border, formally land, and import our belongings? How does dual intent apply in this circumstance?

Does anyone have an idea of how to handle this? Ideally, her application is completed before then and we do our move according to plan. However, when dealing with issues like housing, new jobs, and expiring visas I don't think a "wait and see" approach is a good idea; rather than scrambling, I'd like to plan ahead and have options. If anybody has any experience or knowledge they can share regarding this, it would be much appreciated. Good luck to you all.
I believe, though please don't consider anything I have to say as legal advice because I am not a lawyer, that what you are proposing is entirely possible in law, however, it may be difficult to achieve. You can of course come to Canada and work in July, however, for your wife to be able to join you with dual intent she would have to show that she still has the intent to leave Canada at the end of her allowed stay as a visitor, or if the PR application is rejected (also a possibility). You working and starting to re-settle in Canada counts against her in an assessment at the border.

In order to show dual intent the officer would weigh (among others):
  • the length of time that the client will be spending in Canada;
  • the means of support;
  • obligations and ties in the home country; and
  • compliance with requirements of the IRPA and Regulations applicable to temporary residents (visitors, students and workers).
(Source: canada.ca, bolding mine)

I think that it could very easily be argued that your wife only has a single intent in Canada which would be to become a Permanent Resident, based on how you have described your situation. It would be difficult for her to convince an officer of the intent to come as a visitor, because the officer could weigh heavily on the point that I emphasized above. You moving to Canada and starting to establish yourself shows very strong ties for her in Canada and no longer in the US.

If you could come up with a plan and provide evidence that shows the officer that should her application be refused, you will return to the US to be with her; I think your case would be easier. To show dual intent there have to be no doubts about her intent as a visitor first and foremost. Your chances might improve if your wife doesn't accompany you straight away, but stays in the USA a while longer, and you keep most of your possessions in the US. This would also mean that you would possibly also have to maintain your status in the USA, to allow you to return and settle.

I would also probably advise against buying a house in Canada or putting her name on a lease. Perhaps even don't get a long-term lease until you are sure that she can come to Canada as a PR, but only look at temporary accommodation for yourself. The more you establish yourself in Canada, the harder it would be to convince a CBSA officer that your wife will leave Canada and be separated from you should her application be refused, or, if she is let in as a visitor, her status expires.

That being said, I hope that your wife's application is approved swiftly and this becomes a moot point.

tx-to-ca

Mar 15, 2018
In order to show dual intent the officer would weigh (among others):
  • the length of time that the client will be spending in Canada;
  • the means of support;
  • obligations and ties in the home country; and
  • compliance with requirements of the IRPA and Regulations applicable to temporary residents (visitors, students and workers).
Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it. I do realize these factors are working against us. In fact, I have actually been in the reciprocal situation in the US for the past few years (married to US citizen and living in US with non-immigrant visa).

Our idea was that she could book vacation time this summer as a precaution (thus not leaving her job plus establishing a timeline for return), we would be staying with my father temporarily in Canada upon arrival (so no residential ties there), we would not import any of our belongings and leave them stored in the US until PR is confirmed. We would not bring any large amount of money with us. In this situation, we would likely just drive in our small car (no big U-Haul), our pet, and our essentials temporarily. In addition to that, the work I'm doing in the summer is temporary work that I've done for several summers now. Full-time work for me doesn't begin until September. To me, this seems more like a vacation rather than a full-on move. Would we even need to disclose to the border agent that she has a PR application pending if it's not something they ask? She's already visited once since the application began and it never came up.

What I'm most concerned about is finding an affordable place for her to stay here where the term is flexible enough that she can leave once the application is complete. Not only that, but ironically once my current visa expires I might have to deal with the same issues when crossing into the US to see her.

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
@tx-to-ca,

I think what you're describing is reasonable, and gives you a good chance of there not being any issues, but it only takes one CBSA officer to set you back and it would certainly be in their powers to turn your wife away. For your wife it would be a vacation, but for you it's returning to settle, that fact could raise flags. You, yourself cannot say to the officer that you are only visiting because that would be misrepresentation. Yes, as a Canadian you have the right to enter the country, but you could very well get questioned on your intentions. I certainly hope that a decision is made on your wife's application before this becomes an issue, but you may have to prepare yourself for some time apart. Again, all that you say sounds reasonable, and as long as you can support your wife without the need for her to work, and she can indeed easily return to the US I think a border guard would be hard-pressed to deny her entry; but it is possible.

Also consider that if you drive, the car has to be imported, which definitely means you won't just be waved in. You'll definitely be dealing with secondary CBSA inspection and more scrutiny. Hence why it might be better for you to drive, and for your wife to fly once you've settled. Or... you fly, and she drives the car up and enters with it as a visitor, but you would still have to import the car later on, and to be eligible for import there are certain requirements for the car to be present in the US before it is exported from there and imported into Canada.

Having both of you in the car together where one is coming to visit and the other is re-settling will only elicit questions. Of course, she could simply just be 'dropping you off' in Canada and staying for a vacation (taking the car back when she returns); but not having a return address in the US for her will make this sound incredible.

Because your application is now nearing the 12-month mark (April 3 would be 12 months) I would perhaps consider asking the MP for where you are going to be living in Canada to contact IRCC and get a status update / find out why it's progressing so slowly. You could outline the situation to them and they might be able to give you an indication of chances of the process being over by the summer. If you ask before April 3, their response might be that you're still within normal processing times but after that it's probably worth a shot.

Last edited:

tx-to-ca

Mar 15, 2018
Thanks! Yes, calling MP is probably a good idea. I'm not even sure at this point if it's actually just slow or if they're just not updating things as they go. The thing that's concerning me is that it still says BGC hasn't started. I also like the idea of traveling separately, thank you for the suggestion - I hadn't thought of that one.

As for the car, I was thinking we'd just drive it around with US plates for the summer - like any other vacationer - and only circle back into the US to export it/import it to Canada once she can claim it duty-free under her personal effects as a settler (technically it's hers, she's owned it for longer than we've been married). I'm saving that hassle for later!

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Thanks! Yes, calling MP is probably a good idea. I'm not even sure at this point if it's actually just slow or if they're just not updating things as they go. The thing that's concerning me is that it still says BGC hasn't started. I also like the idea of traveling separately, thank you for the suggestion - I hadn't thought of that one.

As for the car, I was thinking we'd just drive it around with US plates for the summer - like any other vacationer - and only circle back into the US to export it/import it to Canada once she can claim it duty-free under her personal effects as a settler (technically it's hers, she's owned it for longer than we've been married). I'm saving that hassle for later!
Every time I've crossed the land border in a car back into Canada with a Canadian who wasn't even a relative we were both asked where do you live, even in Canadian-plated cars. They ask for duty purposes. You would have to be honest with the question and say that you are returning, and she is only visiting, which, in my mind, would only give rise to further questioning. Again, what you propose all sounds reasonable, but it would be up to the officer to make the decision.

I'll be crossing the border (airport) together with my Husband for the first time in a few weeks. We've never crossed into Canada together before. I'm visiting him, and then we're taking a trip to the US together during my visit, returning to Canada together before I fly back home a week later. I have return tickets etc, but even then I'm still preparing myself for questions (also because we'll be landing at 7am after a red-eye and I don't know what state I'll be in). The only answer is the truth, but it still makes me nervous because of the powers the officers have.

tx-to-ca

Mar 15, 2018
Every time I've crossed the land border in a car back into Canada with a Canadian who wasn't even a relative we were both asked where do you live, even in Canadian-plated cars. They ask for duty purposes. You would have to be honest with the question and say that you are returning, and she is only visiting, which, in my mind, would only give rise to further questioning. Again, what you propose all sounds reasonable, but it would be up to the officer to make the decision.

I'll be crossing the border (airport) together with my Husband for the first time in a few weeks. We've never crossed into Canada together before. I'm visiting him, and then we're taking a trip to the US together during my visit, returning to Canada together before I fly back home a week later. I have return tickets etc, but even then I'm still preparing myself for questions (also because we'll be landing at 7am after a red-eye and I don't know what state I'll be in). The only answer is the truth, but it still makes me nervous because of the powers the officers have.
Good luck with that and enjoy your visit! Crossing the border is always a bit stressful. Since I've been a non-immigrant living in the US for so long, every time I cross between US and Canada (always by flight) I've always just maintained that my permanent residence is in Canada despite my obvious ties to the US. It's the only truthful answer I can give, even though it's completely counter-intuitive. So far, no problems but every year that goes by (now nearly 10) - and especially ever since my wedding - I've been on edge about it. I even avoided visiting Canada for nearly a year after the wedding, not because of time or money but because I was worried about not being able to get back here. Would be nice to have some peace of mind regarding all this!

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
My wife is American, 12 days until 1 year mark and no background check in process!

maha89

Star Member
Apr 14, 2017
What's your time line Maha
Did the embassy asked for any interview !!
i applied on march 29th , no they didn't ask me for an interview, no updates , my medicals are expired , and there is nothing showing in my cic account. still application received , ..