+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maintenance Supervisor job offer. What is the chance of approval?

freelancer78

Aug 21, 2011
Hello Experts,

My brother in the Philippines got a job offer from a hotel in Alberta. He was given a Maintenance Supervisor position but he never had any maintenance supervisory experience, all of his past experiences are in hotel management, and he is still working as a hotel manager. His employer is still in the process of getting him an LMIA for the said position, but what is the chance that his work permit application will be denied because his job offer is not directly related to his current job?

Please advise. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Experts,

My brother in the Philippines got a job offer from a hotel in Alberta. He was given a Maintenance Supervisor position but he never had any maintenance supervisory experience, all of his past experiences are in hotel management, and he is still working as a hotel manager. His employer is still in the process of getting him an LMIA for the said position, but what is the chance that his work permit application will be denied because his job offer is not directly related to his current job?

Thank you.
There are very little hotel related jobs that are allowed to apply for foreign workers these days because of the higher unemployment rate especially people without relevant experience. How did he find this job?

freelancer78

Aug 21, 2011
Hello Experts,

Thank you.
Sounds like a scam. Post job. If it offers food, accommodations, high salary, a lot of vacation time then it is fake. Also Alberta only has a few exempt NOCs for LMIAs. Attached is the exemption list and if the NOC is not on the list then employer will not get a LMIA. And if not a scam, then he should have relevant experience.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/refusal.html
Actually it is not a scam because I know the employer. My wife used to work at his hotel for a few months then it was me who approached the employer if he could get a job for my brother. A fee weeks after, they exchanged communication with my brother then offered him a hotel supervisory position, but upon the advised of their immigration lawyer they have changed it to maintenance supervisor. Their lawyer was so confident about my brother getting approved on the said position but I am honestly not because he does not have relevant experience on that position.

Now, my question is, do you think my brother should encourage his employer to change back his job offer into hotel supervisory position? or he will just let his employer followed the recommendation from their immigration lawyer?

Thanks in advance.

freelancer78

Aug 21, 2011
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/refusal.html#h2.2-h3.2

He can't get a WP based on Alberta's restrictions on what professions can get LMIAs
Thanks for the info but I just recently found out that my friend's brother just got his LMIA approved as a cook just a couple of weeks ago, he is now in the process of applying for his work permit. If Alberta is suspending LMIA applications how come there are some people got LMIA approval?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the info but I just recently found out that my friend's brother just got his LMIA approved as a cook just a couple of weeks ago, he is now in the process of applying for his work permit. If Alberta is suspending LMIA applications how come there are some people got LMIA approval?
Is a valid LMIA? Is it really from Alberta and a few weeks ago? If so he may then be denied a WP.

Wiggy

Dec 16, 2020
I thought the idea of LMIA was to prove that you weren't taking a job that a Canadian could do. Is it really so difficult to employ a hotel supervisor that after advertising it on the Canadian National Job Search etc. they could prove that there was no Canadian looking for such a job?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Depends when the LMIA was applied for and it doesn’t mean that the work permit will be approved.