+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maintaining a PR of Canada?

prateek2485

Sep 16, 2014
Med's Request
28-09-201
Hi All,

Not sure if this has been asked already, sorry if it is.

I recently got PR of canada and made my first temporary entry in Canada in June this year and came back after getting my PR card. Now, I am currently in a different country on my company assignment and want to stay here for another 1 year till the project completes. I want to know:

- is there any condition to travel every year to canada to maintain the PR of canada?
- I know we have to spend 2 years out of 5 years to maintain the PR status, but does it include anything like travelling every year for atleast a month or so? I got this as a rumour and want to be sure before taking an action.

Please could you suggest the above 2 queries, and any other important points you think should be kept in mind.

Appreciate your responses.

Thanks

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can meet the RO in any combination be it staying in Canada for 2 years straight then leaving for 3 years or leaving for 3 years straight then coming back for 2 years straight or any combination of in/out days within the 5 year RO window suiting your personal situation. The key thing to remember is that the RO is a rolling obligation i.e. the 5 year window moves (rolls) forward one day each day so you may be in RO compliance today but not so tomorrow. You should keep a track of your entries and exits in/out of Canada so come PR Card renewal/sponsorship/ citizenship application etc where your RO is reviewed you are not trying to go through multiple stamps on your passport which may or may not having missing entries/ exits to figure out if you meet the days that are required.