+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

lower car insurance by providing certification from my country?

buliwyf

Star Member
Mar 27, 2013
I got a certification from my country's Land Transportation Office stating that I've been a holder of a driver's license since 2000. I can use this to apply for a full G license in Ontario.

Now, can I also get another type of certification, one that states that I've not been in a car accident for the past several years and show this to an Ontario insurance company so I can get a lower premium when I buy my first car?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
buliwyf said:
I got a certification from my country's Land Transportation Office stating that I've been a holder of a driver's license since 2000. I can use this to apply for a full G license in Ontario.

Now, can I also get another type of certification, one that states that I've not been in a car accident for the past several years and show this to an Ontario insurance company so I can get a lower premium when I buy my first car?
It depends on which country you were driving in, and also on which insurance company you use. Certain companies will only accept Canadian and US experience, while others (such as TD Insurance) are more open to considering international experience. If I recall correctly, with TD , I didn't even need to provide the letter, as I just had to sign an undertaking that I actually had the international experience I was claiming.